PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 308-165-SIL vs English ex-pat Sparrow

Bigjohn
02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I am not certain that this thread is in the correct forum but here goes;

The other day I had an opportunity to visit the range for a private target session. I had the OMARK M44B Target Rifle in .308" Winchester; 10 loads with the RCBS 308 silohuette projectile. The rifle is fitted with a Central brand target rear sight and a Parker Hale Tunnel fore sight.

With the rifle set up over the Caldwell Rest on one of the concrete benches with a Shooters rest rear bag.

This was one of those days when you think nothing out of the ordinary will happen so you leave the camera at home to save weight.

After setting up and aligning everything; I commenced shooting, slowly taking my time to place the shots. On shot number four, I saw something strange happen through the sights a moment after I fired the shot.

When I looked up from the stock, I saw a couple of 'things' fluttering to the ground between me and my target. As I try not to use a spotting scope when I am attempting to test a loading for accuracy, this was not set up on the bench but on the tripod behind. In the past, I have found that if I check on the progress of a grouping during the set of shots, the group will always grow in size from that shot on.

I checked the target and one shot looked out of place so I removed the bolt and checked the barrel; nothing. As any possible grouping was now out of the question, I walked down towards the target to investigate the materials I had seen fluttering towards the ground.

About half way between the bench and the target I discovered the cause of the disruption in my shooting practice; the grisly remains of what would have to be the "Unluckiest English Sparrow in all of Australia" :(. What I had seened fluttering to the ground were the last of his feathers.

Now before you get on my back about; if you shoot it, you must be prepared to eat it; let me say "There was not anything big enough of him left to salvage." :(

Well, that finished my session for the day and I came home to load some more rounds for a retest session. The fox that cleans the range will appreciate the few morsels left on the ground.

These birds are not that big; about 5" beak to tail, 3" beak to .... 2" body length. They are introduced from England and considered a pest but one the no one bothers doing anything about.

Now, I don't think the applies for posting in the CB Hunting 'cause I wasn't hunting; but it might apply for a Darwin award as he has been removed from the gene pool. [smilie=1:

John

docone31
02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
That is all well and good, but, how did it group?
Did the poster child for Darwin affect the shot?
I bet you felt bad though.
We get waves of no seeums, then dragonflies. Every now and then a dragonfly vaporizes. They seem to come back though.
Must reproduce in quantity.

jdgabbard
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I was expecting pics of the sparrow.

Bigjohn
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
That is all well and good, but, how did it group?
Did the poster child for Darwin affect the shot?
I bet you felt bad though.
We get waves of no seeums, then dragonflies. Every now and then a dragonfly vaporizes. They seem to come back though.
Must reproduce in quantity.

I call the Sparrow the 'Flying Mouse', there is just so many of them; they build their nest in shed rooves and house ceilings. If there is a building nearby, you will have them. Cats don't bother them too much.

The shot was slightly lower than the rest of the group and the hole in the target was slightly egg shaped.

John

Bigjohn
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I was expecting pics of the sparrow.

Very little of the body that was left is recognizable and basically would have looked like a bad roadkill after it's been spread about abit.

John

clodhopper
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
When there is lead in the air, there is danger!. or If you shoot enough you will get lucky.
Something very similar occured to me flinging a patch full of gravel from a wrist rocket when I was 15 years old. I told all my freinds about it and none belived.

Bigjohn
02-04-2009, 08:32 PM
When there is lead in the air, there is danger!. or If you shoot enough you will get lucky.
Something very similar occured to me flinging a patch full of gravel from a wrist rocket when I was 15 years old. I told all my freinds about it and none belived.

It must have been my turn. I reckon I would have put about 500K plus rounds down range by this time in my life. :Fire::Fire::Fire:

John

JeffinNZ
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
John. Go and buy a lottery ticket NOW!

What an amazing shot.

357maximum
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
BAD MEN

Both you and this fella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnF5b57lNjE

Jack Stanley
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
That's great ! During a timed fired string with my "N" frame Smith , I managed to obliterate a very large biting fly that had posted itself in the eight ring of the target . During the shooting I knew I had one go low right so I was looking for it when my boss and the other scorers went forward . When I noticed the splatter on the target I started hooting and carrying on so the guys would think I'd done it on purpose . I had good reason too because that was the only shot out of the black . The inspector was suspicious but admitted it was a very unlucky horsefly , my co-workers confirmed their suspicions I wasn't quite right [smilie=1:We all had a good day though and my score on the short course was 255-7x or so using 240 gr SWC and eight and a half grains of unique in a .44 mag case :Fire:

Jack

lead Foot
02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I like the other sort of birds. I have one of those gun's and I think they are the best cast boolit rifles there are. Throw those iron sights away and get good scope on it and you will be surprised. I have got a 1/2" group at 100 meters using the LEE c309-170f CB.
lead Foot

high standard 40
02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
My cousin & I had a similar experience years ago. I have been shooting IHMSA silhouette since 1980 and around 1982 my cousin came to visit my home range. I had a practice range set up in my father in law's pasture which I shared with horses and other farm critters. Had to herd them out of the way to shoot sometimes. We were shooting 200m at the ram with a Ruger 44 Mag when a Guinea hen walked in direct line of our shooting but out at about 150 yds. We contemplated the situtation and decided that since our shooting platform was elevated and the bullet would also be at the height of it's trajectory arch, that it would be safe to go ahead and continue shooting since the hen seemed to have no intention of moving and the bullet would surely pass well over it's head. My cousin took carefull aim and just as he fired, the Guinea leapt skyward. The resulting cloud of feathers was unmistakable. After considerable effort to contain ourselves, we went to see if enough was left to provide a gumbo for dinner. The Guinea faired better than your sparrow as we had to chase it for quite a while to finish the job. What are the odds? Father in law got a good laugh as well. Crazy suicidal Guineas.

Charlie...........

sav300
02-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Bigjohn,am buying Omark just for cast boolit shooting to save changeing sights on my weatherby.What do you as a owner thing of this for this purpose?Will be using the lyman 311466 mainly.
Lionel

Larry Gibson
02-05-2009, 09:57 PM
There are questions here that beg answering;

Was the meplat large enough?
Was there sufficeint penetration?
Was there expansion?
Did the GC fall of?
Was there "bullet failure"?
Was the BHN correct?
How far did it run after taking the shot?
Would better shot placement have given a quicker kill?
Was the caliber sufficient?
Was the velocity sufficient?

Probably more that will come up but you get the idea. So John, go back and do it right and then come back with answers!

Heck of a decent shot though:-)

Larry Gibson

Bigjohn
02-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Bigjohn,am buying Omark just for cast boolit shooting to save changeing sights on my weatherby.What do you as a owner thing of this for this purpose?Will be using the lyman 311466 mainly.
Lionel

Best decision I have ever made for CB shooting. It is the third one I have owned; biggest mistakes I have made was selling the other two but a close friend bought one of them.

I am thinking of putting a set of Weaver tip off bases on for a scope, then look out Fallow deer.

I have the 311466 mould but never used it, all mine so far have been shot with the RCBS Sil 165gr. I had one five shot group which I could cover with a five cent piece but could never repeat it with the same load and batch of CB's.

John

Bigjohn
02-06-2009, 01:08 AM
There are questions here that beg answering;

Was the meplat large enough?
Approximately 1 in 1000 in size comparison to the game. :coffee:
Was there sufficeint penetration?
Through and through; through the bird then through the target. [smilie=1:
Was there expansion?
I don't know; there are possibly a 100 plus projectiles in that section of the berm. And NO you can't come and mine it; it's a staked claim; Mine. :twisted:
Did the GC fall of?
Don't think so.
Was there "bullet failure"?
Nope!
Was the BHN correct?
What? :castmine:
How far did it run after taking the shot?
D.R.T. Can't get any better.
Would better shot placement have given a quicker kill?
Typical heart/lung shot placement, I think; not much left to examine.
Was the caliber sufficient?
Obviously! :confused:
Was the velocity sufficient?
Obviously! :confused:

Probably more that will come up but you get the idea. So John, go back and do it right and then come back with answers!

Heck of a decent shot though:-)

Larry Gibson

Should I see if I can find his head again and have it mounted? :mrgreen:

John.

lead Foot
02-06-2009, 02:53 AM
I believe base's are hard to come by now, I fitted a Browning BLR mount. there are two type's round and flat you need the round one. Weaver also make a two piece.(cheaper and alloy) You can drill and tap yourself as the receiver is made of mild steel you might have to take the barrel out though.
lead Foot.
:drinks:

NoDakJak
02-06-2009, 04:15 AM
I was a farm lad born and raised in southern Iowa. During the late fortie and early fiftied we were indundated with English Sparrows and Blackbirds, both the standard variety and the Redwinged type. Meadow Larks were ere so abundant that they woud just about deafen you with their calls. As a budding varmint hunter my main aspiration at that time was to have a dedicated Sparrow Rifle. The Model 52 Winchester was the undisputed king at that time and that is what I wanted. Alas; I was never able to raise the money to purchase a Model 52 at that time. During the mid fifties I was a subsistence hunter and I can testify that the Meadow Lark was much better eating than the Dove. Fifty years later l finally have my Model 52 Wnchester, complete with a ten power Unertl scope. I no longer live in Sparrpow territory however. Several years ago I made a trip back to the area of my birth to visit my sister who lives on a small farm. She runs a small truck farm and during the time that I wa there the rifle proved deadly on Barn Pigeons, the over abundant cotton tails and the Squirrels that were busy drilling holes thru her roof. Much to my chagrin I must admit that it has never taken a Sparrow. I now live in a tiny town of 128 souls and I intend to try some shorts and some CB rounds on the Grackles that obliterate my Sunflowers that I raise for my parrot. He has never managed to eat one seed from my garden for the last thirteen years. I stop short of the 308 however. It might get the neighbors excited. Neil

ktw
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
The shot was slightly lower than the rest of the group and the hole in the target was slightly egg shaped.

Maybe this is the origin of the term "flier". Kind of like the origin of the computer term "bug". I will have to look more closely for suspicious residues when making the trip down the target holders in the future.

If nothing else it's a great a excuse. "Would have shot a 10x, but a bird got in the way on the 7th shot".

-ktw

JW6108
02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
That's great ! During a timed fired string with my "N" frame Smith , I managed to obliterate a very large biting fly that had posted itself in the eight ring of the target . During the shooting I knew I had one go low right so I was looking for it when my boss and the other scorers went forward . When I noticed the splatter on the target I started hooting and carrying on so the guys would think I'd done it on purpose . I had good reason too because that was the only shot out of the black . The inspector was suspicious but admitted it was a very unlucky horsefly , my co-workers confirmed their suspicions I wasn't quite right [smilie=1:We all had a good day though and my score on the short course was 255-7x or so using 240 gr SWC and eight and a half grains of unique in a .44 mag case :Fire:

Jack

We used to put up a piece of white paper and spray a little sugar water on it. Flies landed and we harassed them with .38 Special wadcutters; a short range game, 10 or 12 feet. It's not as hard as it sounds considering that any part of the bullet will get them. For a .35 caliber wadcutter, you only need to be able to shoot a .70 group, outside edge to outside edge. Since you usually get them with an edge, close examination of the bullet hole would often show a little splatter mark.

It's a lot like shooting a hole in a clean piece of paper and then shooting at the hole to keep groups as small as possible; as you progress you can move back and this does wonders for your trigger control. Hitting small things like this wows the onlookers, but it really isn't that hard since you are pretty close and get a good clean look at the sights against a white background.