PDA

View Full Version : Wheelweights 10 cents a pound.

mrbill2
02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Picked up 426 lbs. of wheelweights @ $.10 per pound today. This place has 300 lbs. more that I will pick up later in the week. :-D
Mr Bill

Gunslinger
02-04-2009, 06:17 PM
That's some bargain!! Pick it all up... I know I would.

I have payed exactly the same for about 500lbs of what I have...

jdgabbard
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I wish I could come onto a deal like that. You guys are so darn lucky.

Shiloh
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I scored about 2/3 of a 5 gal. bucket today.

Cost me a 12 pak of O'Douls for the shop owner. He's happy, I'm happy.

Shiloh

z4lunch
02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Steve here... Came home with around 300#s just about an hour ago...Paid $20.
Oh and my gas to and from the junk yard!!!
Steven

mrbill2
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
There are still good deals out there. You just have to be persistent. I ask and come up empty most of the time, today was just lucky. It was my last stop on the way home.
z4lunch even got a better deal.:drinks:
Have a good one , keep lookin.
Mr. Bill

z4lunch
02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Steve here...
I too came up empty handed early last week, and last Saturday morning . Stopped in a tire store down the road. Said he had no ww... I looked in his bucket.Someone had just cleaned him out.
The tire place I stopped in early last week. The guy just blew me off. I stopped in a shop on the way home from work tonight, before I hit it big, and the guy said he didn't have any ww.. I said Your killin' me!!! He said they melt them down for weight in there race cars.

I got home from work and called a junk yard 15 minutes away that I used to frequent as a boy. The guy:castmine: told me on the phone he only had a 1/2 a bucketfull for $10. When I got there he said he had a LITTLE more than a half bucket!!! after the 300lbs ish where dumped in the box of my truck, I gave him a $20 and ran for the border.
Steven

FN in MT
02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Lucky SOB's!! I drove the 45 miles to town as a tire store called me that they had a bucket of WW's for me. I'd left my card there a month or so ago. I arrive and theres a bucket thats 50/50 WW's and tire stems.

Guy says to me; "There Ya go...$65"!!! Needless to say I passed. I mentioend to him that when I was in earlier he had told me they sold WW's for $20 a bucket.

"Oh that was before lead went UP again". I did leave on good terms...but will probably not waste my time there again.

FN in MT

fordwannabe
02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Mr Bill2 Please tell me it wasn't at brandywine recyclers because I have been calling them for 3 weeks to see if they had any, and couln't get anybody to calll me back. I only live about 20 minutes from there. Good catch! Tom

JIMinPHX
02-04-2009, 10:18 PM
The spot price of lead has been hovering around $0.50 for a while now. It's starting to have an effect. The price of shot around me has dropped from $50 to $30 for a 25#bag. I'm starting to see some on store shelves again, although it doesn't seem to last long. I'm hearing stories of reasonable prices on WW in my area now too, although I haven't gotten my hands on any yet. A group of board members down around Mesa just got their hands on several thousand pounds for something like $0.20/#. Money is tight & metals are low. Prices are dropping.

DocMayham
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Just stumbled across an old plumber who had about 500 pounds of pipe collars. He apologized to me about all the solder clumped on it. Took 2 trips to get home.

bbs70
02-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I called around today for ww, hard to find.
One guy wanted 70 per pound.
One said I needed a state license.
One guy 70 miles away says he has 1 ton of lead, @ .80 (soft and ww mixed)

Funny part is when I checked what they bought it for they said .5 a lb

But, a friend e-mailed me and said there was a tire dealer he talked to this afternoon that just throws the ww away.
Needless to say I'm going to pay this guy a visit.

snaggdit
02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I can get about a dozen 5 gal pails for $20 each. Sounds like this is a deal. I'm thinking I should scarf it up. I don't use THAT much, though. I saw the other day someone was selling med. flat rate boxes of WW for $35 shipped. Got me thinking...

Suo Gan
02-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Scrap lead has been heading down, down to the basement, when I checked last month they were buying for .10 and selling for .20 at the scrap yard. Has it gone up since then?

Lead ww are being phased out in every state. It would be wise to lay a stockpile of ingots aside, especially at the current rate of scrap lead. A quarter ton of lead does not take up that much room anyhow.

Netherwolf
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Lucky SOB's!! I drove the 45 miles to town as a tire store called me that they had a bucket of WW's for me. I'd left my card there a month or so ago. I arrive and theres a bucket thats 50/50 WW's and tire stems.

Guy says to me; "There Ya go...$65"!!! Needless to say I passed. I mentioend to him that when I was in earlier he had told me they sold WW's for $20 a bucket.

"Oh that was before lead went UP again". I did leave on good terms...but will probably not waste my time there again.

FN in MT

That's about what the scrap yards are charging, i.e. .40 cents/lb., in my neck of the woods. I passed.
Netherwolf

Junior1942
02-05-2009, 09:05 AM
The spot index is 25¢ lb in 40,000 lb loads.

par0thead151
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
so me getting WW(i would say 95+% o it is lead usable WW) is a good deal?
too bad i didnt clean out the scrap yard who had it, he had annother 1000#.
now "they dont sell lead" any more.
hmmm maybe they see prices going back up?

orygun_native
02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I've been thinking about buying a couple of 5 gallon buckets at $25 a pop. Seems like a good price but it's hard to pay when I've been able to get some for free. I should stop being such a spoiled brat.

snaggdit
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
That's my hangup, too. Spoiled. One place gives me a bucket every two months for free. That is enough to keep me going. But if WW are gioing to Zn and Fe, and if some States are regulating the sale to individuals, the $20 a bucket is starting to look good!

Pepe Ray
02-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Didn't your Daddy ever tell you, "If you expect to HAVE a future , you'd better start planning for it."?
Pepe Ray

cbrick
02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
So here I was yesterday driving back from the gun store and I notice a tire/repair shop that I've never stopped at before. A quick U-turn and in the office I go to speak with the owner.

Owner: Sure, I have tons of wheel weights!
Me: Tons???
Owner: Yep, tons. I collect them.
Me: Tons???
Owner: Let me show you. Out in the shop he points to 3 quarter drums (16 gallon drums) full of WW's.
Me: Yep, wow tons! What are you going to do with those? Are you aware that at the end of this year it's illegal in this state to use lead WW?
Owner: Nope, don't think so, will only be illegal to buy any new lead ones next year. I'm gonna paint these silver and re-use them.
Me: Nope, don't think so. This is California comrad and it will be illegal to use them on tires.
Owner: I'll make a phone call and find out. Back in the office he calls his supplier of new weights. Yep, next January 1st it's illegal to put on a lead weight.
Me: What are you going to do with them?
Owner: Well, just keep them I guess. That's every WW I've had since I opened this place 20 years ago. I collect them!
Me: But next year you'll have to pay someone to haul them off. Let me help you here, I'll come back with a truck.
Owner: I can't do that, I collect them.
Me: But for what?
Owner: Dunno . . . I just collect them and I've saved 3 drums.
Me: But . . . But . . . But. Someday you'll want to retire and sell this place. The new owner won't want them because as WW's they are illegal, what a hassle all that weight and dirty bulk will be then.
Owner: Nope, I collect them, you saw, I have three drums full.

This may sound like comedy but it is a true story. Driving home all I could think of was how many boolits would 48 gallons of WW make?

Rick

Randall
02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Picked up 426 lbs. of wheelweights @ $.10 per pound today. This place has 300 lbs. more that I will pick up later in the week. :-D
Mr Bill

Ok, yeah just rub it in. I would be bragging too if I found a deal like that!

FN in MT
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
cbrick,

Now thats funny. Reminded me of an old Supply Sgt I knew. You'd go in for a piece of gear and he'd refuse to issue it to replace something worn out.

You'd see three on the shelf and mention "You have THREE of them".
He would reply......"But if I give You one.....then I'd only have TWO".

Same kind of mentality.......... I got em...don't need em...but I got em.

FN in MT

MoldyJoe
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I have been able to get round tubes of PB with groves on the sides about 1 1/2 diameter 4' long crimp cut on one end for .15 a pound at the scrap dealer. Someone said these were used for chrome plating. I bought some, but now they are rusty? Are they really lead? Was this a good deal? Should I get more? Joe

housedad
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
FNT in MT-

If you ever watched one of thoe Zulu movies (Zulu Dawn) that they made in the 1960's, (based on real events) During the battle that was the most devestating loss the Brits ever had, the quartermaster would not release the ammo to the troops unless it was signed for and only if they shot it at a rate that he said was regulation.
He paid for the attitude with his life right next to a wagon full of ammo when the guys on the line ran out of ammo and were overrun, .

There were two movies, Zulu Dawn, and Zulu, and they are absolutely great. Zulu is the BEST!

Some folks feel like gods in their little part of the world.

bbs70
02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I talked to a couple of scrap yard owners today, they said at the current price they weren't buying any scrap lead.
So hopefully the people who take the stuff to the scrap yard will sell it to me instead, I can only hope.

I have a friend who runs a small gas station/ tire shop.
He is saving his old weights to reuse because of the price of the new zinc weights.
I told him since I didn't want zinc in my bullet alloy, that I pitch them into the trash
He said he would buy them or trade broken lead weights for the zinc and steel ones.:-D
I never had thought about that before, what an idea.:)
I believe from now on I'll save zinc & steel weights.

Gunslinger
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Driving home all I could think of was how many boolits would 48 gallons of WW make?

Rick

Hmmm.... are the drums placed inside or outside?? Does he sleep at his office :-D?

housedad
02-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Ok, I just got back from the scrapyard.

I just bought 1300lbs of wheelweights, and 450lbs of pure lead, made of some lead sheet, and what looks like 6 50lb lead weights as they have 2 cables cut off sticking out.

They sold at 20 Cents a pound for both. Cleaned them out.

And I found more LEO brass for processing!

They put it all to the side and I pick it up in the morning.

I'm getting while the getting is good.

Bion

par0thead151
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Ok, I just got back from the scrapyard.

I just bought 1300lbs of wheelweights, and 450lbs of pure lead, made of some lead sheet, and what looks like 6 50lb lead weights as they have 2 cables cut off sticking out.

They sold at 20 Cents a pound for both. Cleaned them out.

And I found more LEO brass for processing!

They put it all to the side and I pick it up in the morning.

I'm getting while the getting is good.

Bion

very nice haul...
i did something along those lines in december. now i am playing the luck game with hitting up mom and pop tire shops.

02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
CBRICK why did you not offer to buy them?

Suo Gan
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Ok, I just got back from the scrapyard...
made of some lead sheet

Lead flashing makes a great cover to your root cellar door. Maybe save it for that? This makes the door heavy, I added a counterweight...made of lead. I also store alot of my lead inside to form a partition. So many uses for lead, and so little time.

cbrick
02-05-2009, 10:39 PM
CBRICK why did you not offer to buy them?

Oh I did, that was just the drift of the conversation. I spent 15 or 20 minutes there chating with him, nice guy actually. He sure does like his WW, he just doesn't know why.

Rick

870TC
02-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Traded a Coleman Lantern today for, four 5 gallon pails of WW. Course it was a rare model, but thought I did ok.

bbs70
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Cbrick
Does that guy have any relation in Illinois?
20 years ago I knew an old guy who owned a auto salvage yard.
He saved old tires, he had a HUGE mountain of them he had saved over the years.
A friend and I visited him one day and asked why he saved them, his response was.
In case war broke out again like in WWll , I'll have plenty to recycle.

About ten years later the pile of tires caught fire, the fire departments in the samll surrounding towns fought for 3 days to get it out.
Finally, they brought a dozer in, dug a hole and burried them to get the fire out.
It still smoldered for several days after that.
Thank goodness the yard was way out in the country.