PDA

View Full Version : Turkey fryer burner

bbs70
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Today I latched onto a turkey fryer burner at the local salvage yard for 5 bucks.
Gotta wait till this weekend to get a regulator and tank.

In the mean time I was wondering.
If you moved the burner unit closer to the bottom of the lead pot, would that be a more efficent way of smelting lead?
It seems to me that the burner is 6 to 8 inches from the bottom of the supports and heat would be lost, therefore more fuel to heat the lead.

I'm not going to hack it up till I hear from the more experienced people here.

MT Gianni
02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
You will get sooting if your burner is like mine. You should have at least 1" from the top of your flame cone to the bottom of your burner.

HBAR2989
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I use a burner with a old cast iron pot, for my lead pot. It works great on top the burner with out any modification.

bbs70
02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I will be using my cast iron pot on the burner, so I guess I will leave it the way it is.

Now all I need is a pointy hat and a cape and I'll look like a witch stirring my cauldron cackling the whole time.:-D

And believe me, I'd make for one ugly woman.

snaggdit
02-05-2009, 12:51 AM
C heck out Recluse's post on this link, then revise your outfit into a Wizards (or Alchemist's) outfit! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44914

johnly
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I use a Harbor Freight "Dutch Oven" for my melting pot. The cover helps to prevent heat loss and speed up the melt as a result.

John

MoldyJoe
02-05-2009, 02:48 PM
The turkey fryer worked just great for smelting with a large Dutch Oven 12-14" but for actual casting I used a plumbers pot on my gas stove inside (with the range hood vent going full blast), not much smell or smoke as I fluxed during smelting and added a couple of old birthday cake candles just to make sure. My wife was gone and when she came back she didn't say anything about the smell, so I guess I'm safe. Joe

docone31
02-05-2009, 03:03 PM
A watched pot never boils!
An old adage, but the principle of it applies. Adding an insulative layer to anything heated speeds the effect of the heat. I add covers when I can. It works.