PDA

View Full Version : Homemade heater

Slinger
02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Have been doing some reading and I do believe I'll kill two......well you know.

I think I'll buy a Kats magnetic heater and use it on the Lyman 450. I also have an old Ford tractor, so I 'll use the Kats on it as well. I'll use a plate, probably aluminum, on the Lyman.

One question- Is the Carnuba Red better than the BAC, for handguns or just less sticky? I'm having trouble getting these two lubes nailed down as to what they will or won't do. I'll store my boolits in a cool basement till I'm ready to load. I want the lube that will help deliver the best accuracy and the least smoke.

Jbar4Ranch
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I bolted one of my three 450's to a 3/8" steel plate with enough sticking out the back to stick a Kats magnetic heater to. It works well, but without a thermostat, ya gotta unplug the thing once in awhile and let the lube cool off some, cuz it gets things TOO hot.

fishhawk
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
hmmmmm just a thought but what about a reostat in there some place to cut the heat down a bit? don't know if it would work or not but it's a thought. steve k

Slinger
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I figured it'd get too hot and I'd have to unplug it, but being that it will be used on the tractor as well, I'll have to put up with unplugging it. No big Deal.........

fecmech
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
If you just pick up a clothes iron at a garage sale you have the perfect heater. Just set it on your metal plate and adjust the iron thermostat to the desired heat.

pdawg_shooter
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I used BAC for everything, no heater needed!

DLCTEX
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
You'll have trouble getting the magnet to stick to the aluminum. Seriously though, a dimmer switch could be wired with a receptacle to plug the heater into to control the heat for the luber, then used without it to heat the tractor.

Slinger
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
You'll have trouble getting the magnet to stick to the aluminum. Seriously though, a dimmer switch could be wired with a receptacle to plug the heater into to control the heat for the luber, then used without it to heat the tractor.

I'm going to check into the dimmer switch. The Kats is either 200 or 300 watt, so I'd match the dimmer to the wattage. Naturally, They get hot if you put too much of a load on it.
If it wasn't for using it on the tractor too, I'd just buy a used clothes iron.

dk17hmr
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I use a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it. Just lay it down close to the sizer shining on it and it will heat it up enough to work.

mooman76
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I've never used BAC but I have used Carnuba Red on all my bullets and it hasn't failed me yet.

redbear705
02-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I 2nd the aluminum plate and the clothes Iron.

The combo works great!

I have marked the iron at the various heat settings for almost all on my lubes...and the iron only cost $9.99 at walgreens...cant beat that! and enough wattage to get it up to heat and a heat controller to boot :)

JR

Slinger
02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I've never used BAC but I have used Carnuba Red on all my bullets and it hasn't failed me yet.

Have you used the RED in the .38 Special with a 158 gr and a max load? If so, how did it work? I'm told that the RED may not work well with the velocities of the 158 gr. in the 38.

jahela
02-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I use a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it. Just lay it down close to the sizer shining on it and it will heat it up enough to work.

Save energy! I drilled a hole i the table and mounted a 25 watt (optional 40w) small bulb just below the sizer. Works perfect in combination with a dimmer.
must pre-heat half an hour. If you want faster, use a hair-dryer.

Dirk

Shiloh
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I used BAC for everything, no heater needed!

You need to hit the lubrisizer with a hair dryer or a heat gun when the basement is 45-50 degrees. I have been using BAC exclusively for a while now. If it aint broke and gives good results, why change.

Shiloh

Slinger
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm going out and shoot today. I've got both BAC & RED loaded up in three calibers. I'll find out which is better suited to my loads.