PDA

View Full Version : Lee 1 oz shotgun slug loads with CCI primers

Tokarev
02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
First of all I want to apologize for asking what's probably been asked times and times before, but searching this forum for 'Lee' and 'slug' does not sound like a workable idea...

Here I am, researching the load data for Lee 12ga 1oz shotgun slugs using HS6, Winchester hulls and CCI primers.

This combination is not mentioned by Hodgdon! They list both CCI and Win 209 primers, but only provide Lee slug loads for Rem hulls with Win primers... Their CCI primed load is only for Buckbuster slug, which I never heard of. Interesting enough, Lee own leaflet included with the mold makes no mention of CCI primers at all.

Does it make sense to start at 30-31 grain and work it up until velocity reaches 1400 or 35 grain whichever comes first?

By the way, does anyone know what BBL length their velocities are for? I am going to use a Rem 870 20" rifled BBL.

Bloodman14
02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Tokerov, check out Hodgdon's website for load data; they have a recipe page that should help. No barrel data, though.
I got a 'kick' out of casting Lee's .69 cal. round ball ( 492 grs. = 1 1/8 oz.) in my Winchester Defender w/ a 22" bbl for plinking in the backyard!
Here are some reference numbers;
16 oz. = 1 Lb
7000 grs. = 1 Lb
7000 / 16 = 437.5 grs. per oz.
Take your known weight and divide by 437.5; the answer is in oz.
e.g. 492 grs / 437.5 = 1.125 = 1 1/8 oz.
My ball recipe is:
.69 ball
Win AA-12 wad (white)
CCI primer
17.5 grs Clays

If you wanted to, you can find load data for a 1 1/8 oz and substitute a 1 oz. slug; your pressure will be slightly less, and the velocity will be the same.

Lead Forever!:lovebooli

Bloodman14
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Tokarev, you should be able to sub. the Buckbuster for the Lee, it isn't the brand that matters as much as the weight of the load. Does the BB use standard wads, too? If it does, I see no problem.

Bloodman14
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Tokarev, I just found what your'e looking for!!

12 ga. Win AA hull
1 oz. Lee slug
36 grs. HS6
WAA12F114 wad
W209 primer

note: I use CCI and WIN primers interchangeably, and never had a problem. According to pressure data in Lyman's shotshell reloading book, it seems the CCI's burn at a lower pressure. So, if I run out of Win's I use CCI's. I use Win. primers as my 'go to' reference when I load for skeet.

Lead Forever!:lovebooli

Tokarev
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I just did not know why Hodgdon listed their loads with CCI primers showing 6 grains less of HS6 - was it because of the primer or slug design. I never loaded for shotguns before and was not sure what contributed to the difference: the primer, or slug/wad/case combination.

Bloodman14
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Tokarev, it's actually everything; if you use a 'hotter' primer, the pressure could exceed safe levels in an already max. load. The combo of components can be critical to safety in max loads. Be careful! Double check all load data using CCI primers, just to be sure. Follow Hodgdon's data for the time being until you have more experience.

Lead Forever!

Tokarev
04-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Here are two loads I tried:
30 gr HS6 - 1220-1240 FPS, very mild recoil.
33.2 gr HS6 - 1340-1370 FPS, more significant recoil but still comfortable.
This is slower than in Hodgdon listing. I wonder if they tested with a longer bbl...

Both loads sometimes burn holes in the hulls where star crimp begins.

maxF
05-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a question. Along the lines of this thread. I am loading 1oz lee slugs and I'd like to use Promo as I have a lot of it. I've read where it is a no-no to use a fast powder and the recommended is Hs6,Universal, herco, or blue dot all of which are significantly slower. I've also read you can substitute the slug for shot. I'm guessing I could use the promo experimentally (as a slug cant really get stuck in a smooth bore non choked barrel?, by loading it lower and going higher. The trap load for 1oz is 18gr. red dot (promo=red dot according to alliant) so I could start at 15 and go up .3 at a time?? I don't want to explode my gun but...

sundog
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Max, if you do not want to explode your gun, stick with published data that has been tested by a competent source.

Tokarev
05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Who makes the pressure sensors and how much do they ring me?
I am doing lots of load development and projectile r&d, so this thing would be handy.