PDA

View Full Version : GadBlammed Factory Ammo!

docone31
02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I cannot tell you how many rounds I have cast, patched, and fired. I have NEVER had a squib.
I had some fresh jacketed ammo I wanted to fire to fireform to my chamber so I can patch up.
Sounded like a sneeze. I thought I had accidently chambered an empty.
Nope.
I am guessing the primer pushed the jacketed bullet into the bore. No powder was visible, nor any gas residue. The shoulders are still factory set, not fired for my chamber.
End of the range work. Ironically, my patched loads were centerpunching the target, the factory was low and really all over the place. I have a .303 British and these were .311 bullets. I have .312 bullets for who knows when, the patched loads are much better in grouping, impact on the berm. Deeper holes.]
At any rate, a few raps with an hammer on a 1/4 brass rod and out it came. I couldn't chamber the next round, so I took out the bolt and saw darkness where the bore should have been.
That is what I get for using factory ammo.
Cheaper to get brass and patch.

sniper7369
02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
That's why I handload all of the ammo in the pistols that I carry. I know for a fact there is powder in every single round of ammo because I put it there. I usually buy WWB ammo just for the brass, but I will never use factory ammo for anything my life may depend on.

Jimlakeside
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately I must get into a big hurry when reloading because I have had several squibs. In fact at a IDPA match in Hot Springs Arkansas I had a squib and couldn't finish the stage. Cost me 10 seconds in time. I missed 1st place in my division(Marksman) by 3 seconds!! Would have been my first 1st place trophy.

3006guns
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I've had only one squib reload in my whole life, and that was loaded for me by an uncle. Locked up my Colt .38 special with a wadcutter right at the cylinder mouth...quick punch with a range rod fixed it.

On the other hand I have to chuckle at the guy that is horrified that I shoot only my reloads AND carry them concealed. I KNOW my stuff will go "bang"....not really sure about that "drug store ammo".

docone31
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I popped out the round. It had barely any rifleing marks on it. In the first place, factory is .001 too thin for my rifle.
It took two hits with an hammer on a brass rod, and out it came.
I usually only get factory for the brass. Now I just get the brass. With collet dies the brass lasts a long time.
I am so glad, I did not have one chance at saving my wife from a maurading animal.
I haven't had factory in a long time. I almost exclusively reload. It is usually the one exception that counts.
Some of the factory rounds were so wild I was not sure I even hit the berm. Worse than when I had undersized castings in it.

454PB
02-03-2009, 11:00 PM
There are two types of handloaders......those that have had a squib and those that are going to. It may not be your fault, you might get a bum primer or a beetle might land between your hammer and firing pin. The important thing is that no shot is fired behind it.

I watched Jerry Mikulek empty his S&W in less than 2 seconds. Imagine the risk he takes with a possible squib.

KY_Camper
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I've been shooting for 40 some years, handloading for about 20 years, and the only squib I have had (so far, anyway) was a 9mm factory load (WWB). Primer fired, powder didn't. The spilled powder wouldn't burn, no idea why. Sometimes squibs are beyond our control.

"The important thing is that no shot is fired behind it." is the only reason neither I nor the gun was damaged.

docone31
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
The ONLY reason I did not fire a round behind it was it wouldn't fit.
I had mixed my fired brass into the bag of loads.
I first thought I had fired on an empty.
Luckily it wouldn't chamber.
Lesson I will never forget.

Ricochet
02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I've seen powder fail to ignite or only partially burn when oil got into it.

pdawg_shooter
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
When I first started reloading in the 60s I used gas to wash the lube of of my cases. One batch I didnt let dry enough and most every one was a hang fire with lots of unburned powder. Needless to say I dont do that any more. But then I dont use STP for case lube anymore either!