PDA

View Full Version : rcbs 230 cm molds

coat
02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I now have one of these molds. I would like to no will shoot good out of my smith wesson 625 acp or auto rim. Thanks everyone.

seabat0603
02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
The only way to be sure is to cast up some bullets and shoot them. shoot some as cast, water quench some and shoot as cast, and finely, size some a thousands or two over bore dia. and try those. Also, try a few different lubes as well. One of the ways I mentioned or a combination of a couple will tell you what your S&W likes the most. You will have to be the judge of what shoots good, excellent, or exceptional out of your gun. You are the standard when it comes to whats acceptable. Guns are like women, you'll never know just what they like until you try,over and over and over again. ( been married 22 years and still lookin, lol. ) Good luck- seabat0603

Cherokee
02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
One of my favorite bullets for 45 Colt. Should work great in S&W 625.

35remington
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
I agree, they work fine out of the 625. I prefer a hard, 20+ BHN bullet with a soft lube, as accuracy and reduction of leading is far superior to that of a soft bullet and hard lube.

Too much stripping with the soft bullet. The AutoRim/ACP revolver suffers from this particularly, due to the long jump to the forcing cone that allows the bullet to strike the rifling at high speed. A hard bullet lets the rifling "grab" with less skidding. I've never had good accuracy with ACWW bullets unless it's the lighter weights at low velocity, like a target style 185 SWC. Heavy weights in ACWW? Forget it, especially if they don't have much bearing surface.

A good choice. Works fine in the 1911, too, and the nose shape allows some latitude in seating for the automatic pistol. The bullet doesn't engage the rifling even with it seated somewhat out of the case - somewhat, that is, when compared to other bullets of the same shape with more forward bearing surfaces.

1.220" suffices for me in the 1911.