PDA

View Full Version : What about roof flashing?

Black Jaque Janaviac
02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
What is roof flashing made of. I know it's lead, I'm just wondering how pure. I like my muzzle loader bullets as soft as possible so I don't want to contaminate it with anything too hard. I've even had problems using telephone cable sheathing being too hard.

Old Ironsights
02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Most of the old stuff covered with tar is essentially pure. I think I've melted 200-300lbs of the stuff. Stinky when burning off the tar, but makes nice soft RBs...

44man
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think it is used anymore, have to find it from old buildings. It is pure, I used a lot of it over the years.

deltaenterprizes
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
There is a bead of 50/50 solder where the flat part is joined to the round part. If you want pure lead remove this and add it to WW to add some tin.

Nate1778
02-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Actually, lead flashing's are the way to go on a re-roof, don't let a roofing contractor sucker you into neoprene flashing's. They are cheap and fail prematurely leading to leaks in the bathroom and kitchen. That said they are still available and are still in use today. We replace a lot of them when we re-roof and from here on out, I am hanging onto the ones we remove.

carpetman
02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I had decided to retire from my flashing job, then decided to stick it out another year.

BABore
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I had decided to retire from my flashing job, then decided to stick it out another year.

Got some new elastic for the leggin's huh?:-D

carpetman
02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
New elastic for leggings? I do get the urge to take my clothes off and run around naked , when this urge arises, I drink Windex--it keeps me from streaking.

Kraschenbirn
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
The fellow who did all my roof work when I was in the contracting business still saves old flashing for me and calls when he has a bit put aside. Dunno' how "pure" it is so far as actual metallurgy but it's softer than my Lee Hardness Tester will measure. Only thing I've ever encountered any softer was a roll of "99.8%" lead wire I picked up at arts & crafts flea market/swap meet.

Bill

Scrounger
02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

In that case, here's some photos you might want to use as an avatar:

carpetman
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Scrounger--If I got rid of my current avatar for one of those 75% of the board would be mad---the other 25% have me on ignore.

Scrounger
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
That doesn't add up---Ninty-five percent already have you on Ignore...

targetshootr
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
There is a bead of 50/50 solder where the flat part is joined to the round part. If you want pure lead remove this and add it to WW to add some tin.

If you leave the soldered joints, will it change the hardness? I have a big pile to smelt one of these days, or swap for ww pound for pound.

SWIAFB
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
targetshootr, where are you located ? I would be interested in a swap. ww for lead flashing. SWIAFB

Nate1778
02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the solder is 50/50 lead/tin. Most the solders we use contain tin as the other ingredient.

BRIARPATCH
02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
The fellow who did all my roof work when I was in the contracting business still saves old flashing for me and calls when he has a bit put aside. Dunno' how "pure" it is so far as actual metallurgy but it's softer than my Lee Hardness Tester will measure. Only thing I've ever encountered any softer was a roll of "99.8%" lead wire I picked up at arts & crafts flea market/swap meet.

Bill

Kraschenbirn.:?:
I'm a newbie around here and in speculatin' things I'm gonna need if 'n when I decide to actually roll some of my own, I ran across the Lee hardness tester and was going to do a post asking if anyone actually had one. Now that I see you do would you mind sharing as to how well it works and just how accurate you believe it to be?
Thanks in advance