PDA

View Full Version : Finally - some cheap lead.

ghh3rd
02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I know it's not a big deal, but I'm sort of psyched about scoring my first lead.

Every tire dealer and service center here (I've called many) say that they "can't sell it - corporate says it's dangerous" or "we have a contract with the wheel weight company".

I finally found a guy in a small garage that was willing to part with an overfull 3 gal bucket full for $10. It looks like perhaps a bit over 50% stick on, but from what I gather, if I melt it together it still should still be a good alloy to use for my .38 cal reloads since .38 is a lower pressure round. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.

I've heard that 5 gal buckets full usually weigh around 140-150 lbs, but I just weighed this (with the bucket) at 130 lbs. I suppose it's extra heavy because of the high portion of stick ons.

Sorry for the repeat of everyone else's story, but I felt I had to post this since I'm still on a lead high.

Randy

Leadforbrains
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Congratulations on your find. I am a lead junkie too. Welcome to the asylum for the lead addicted.

bbs70
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Congratulations on the lead score.
I believe everyone here has experienced the same thing at one time or another.
I still slobber and drool when I see a buckety of wheel weights I'm getting to buy.

Almost like Homer Simpson with a beer.

sniper7369
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the asylum for the lead addicted.

Haha, good one. :drinks:

Nice score on the WWs. I still act like a kid in a toy store even if I score just a few pounds of lead. :lovebooli

ghh3rd
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, and he even said he'd have the same thing in about six months. I wish I had included a ingot mold with my reloading stuff. Now I have to wait for one. Of course, we could eat less muffins at our house. :twisted:

jnovotny
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
you can mix em if you want but I save all my soft stuff seperate for other projects, like decoy strap weights

ghh3rd
02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I've heard that "front stuffers" use the soft stuff too. But so long as I can mix it all together and get decent bullets, I figure that's where all of this stuff is heading.

sniper7369
02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, and he even said he'd have the same thing in about six months. I wish I had included a ingot mold with my reloading stuff. Now I have to wait for one. Of course, we could eat less muffins at our house. :twisted:

I picked up a mini muffin pan at Wally World for about five bucks, does 24 ingots at a time at about a pound or so each.

NSP64
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I've heard that "front stuffers" use the soft stuff too. But so long as I can mix it all together and get decent bullets, I figure that's where all of this stuff is heading.

You could mix it all together, but if you decide to do this keep a record of your mix. Say 10# WW+ 5# soft this way you'll have some repeatability.

BTW good haul.:drinks:

orygun_native
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Congrats on the score. I get really excited when I score some WW. I've found that the smaller town/independently owned outfits are best for scoring some lead.

supv26
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Congrats on the score. I get really excited when I score some WW. I've found that the smaller town/independently owned outfits are best for scoring some lead.

You are right there! Some of the big places won't let it go. I have found a couple of small places that said they would sell it. One place said they wanted $65.00 for a full five gallon bucket and one pace told me he was getting $0.50/pound.

FN in MT
02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I can relate to finally "scoring" after many, many dry runs to tire shops and scrap yards.

Last week I scored 500+ pounds of very clean WW's for all of $55. BUT.....figure in the previous three weeks worth of gas and time checking shops and the cost goes up....a lot. The few of you who have DEALS on WW's or lead are truly LUCKY.

FN in MT

cajun shooter
02-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm with NSP64 on this one, you need to keep a record of your mix. If the amount of stick ons are greater than the clip on weights you will end up with a alloy thats too soft. It's better to use the clip on's and keep the stick on's for a alloy mix that you can control.

ghh3rd
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I am scientific in nature so I'll be keeping records of mixes, the origin of the lead, etc. and will be keeping batches of bullets separate from one another. My wife just scratches her head and looks puzzled...

Randy

dakotashooter2
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Every tire dealer and service center here (I've called many) say that they "can't sell it - corporate says it's dangerous" or "we have a contract with the wheel weight company".

Yet NONE have handling proceedures or safety equipment available for their employees who handle it nor do they regularly participate in and environmental cleanup of their work facilities. :(

Since lead WW are being phased out I have to wonder about the contracts with the WW company. What are THEY using it for????

2TN Mules
02-04-2009, 09:02 PM
A castiron cornbread stick pan also makes a fine ingot mold. I used one this past weekend when smelting, fluxing, and cleaning 100# of free lead I scored. The ingots weigh 1 to 11/4 # each. If the Lee mold I ordered ever comes (they said anywhere from 1 to 7 weeks) I'll start dropping boolits and see how this mystery mix casts.