PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Litter

keebo52
02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
OK, I've never tried the kitty litter thing with my lead pot. What kind do I get the old kind or the clumping kind? Keith

Goatlips
02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Keith, get the cheapest kind, made of just clay. The clumping kind might work but probably has glue or something in it. Litter keeps the heat in and keeps the splashing down when you return lead to the pot. Bottom pour only, of course. Thanks to Pigeonroost Slim who first suggested it to me. :drinks:

Goatlips

jdgabbard
02-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Goatlips, I have been tossing around the idea of buying a bottom pour lately. And have given serious thought to using kitty litter as well. Since I hear you guys don't even flux any more.

My question to you is what do you do about the tin and antimony separation? Stir the pot? I was under the impression that you needed to flux to properly alloy the the good stuff back into the mix. Clear this up for me.

carpetman
02-02-2009, 03:56 AM
By the old kind of kitty litter, if you mean used---dont use that. Buying kitty litter is a very embarassing deal--people see you in line at the checkout with it and think you have a cat.. Only thing you can do to minimize this lowering predicament is point to the cat on the sack and let everyone know you are buying it to get the target. But there is a better way. Go to an automotive supply and buy a sack of oil absorbent---it's same stuff and much cheaper. It's some kind of clay.

Calamity Jake
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
"My question to you is what do you do about the tin and antimony separation? Stir the pot? I was under the impression that you needed to flux to properly alloy the the good stuff back into the mix. Clear this up for me."

The Tin and Antimnoy will not seperate from the lead, now the very top layer of Tin on the surface will oxidise if exposed to the air but that is all that will happen. The kitty litter on top stops the oxidation, holds in heat and acts as a flux. Putting a fresh ingot on top of the litter allows it to melt and run thru the litter self fluxing as it goes but you still want to stur the pot when you first fire it up and when adding more lead.
I stur with a ½" hard wood dowel scraping sides and bottom, this fluxes the pot too.
I replace the litter when about half of what is in the pot has turned to dust.

jdgabbard
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Just scoop off whats and top and add more? That simple, eh? How often does that happen? You worry about extra lead exposure due to the dust?

RevRich
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Carpetman: "It's some kind of clay."

Kitty litter is Bentonite (probably Southern Bentonite).

keebo52
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
WOW! Just ran 2-10 lb pots and the kitty litter really works. I also tried hand cutting the spue and that works too. That's the fastest I've ever cast boolits and I've been casting for 30+ years. Thanks to all for the help. Keith

Reddot
02-02-2009, 01:20 PM
This thread is like coming into the middle of a conversation. Kitty litter? This is the first time I have seen mention of kitty litter. Can someone link me to the start of this topic? I tried to find the search function to no avail.

carpetman
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
reddot---On bottom pour furnaces you can put a layer of kitty litter on top and this takes care of fluxing. It probably adds a layer of insulation as well???? Using ladle it would be in the way.
Rev Rich Bentonite doesn't sound like the word I was looking for--maybe it is.

Calamity Jake
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
This thread is like coming into the middle of a conversation. Kitty litter? This is the first time I have seen mention of kitty litter. Can someone link me to the start of this topic? I tried to find the search function to no avail.

This was posted back when everyone was at shooters.com
It has been cussed and discussed many times on this board.

Just don't try to recycle!!:( :eek:

"Just scoop off whats and top and add more? That simple, eh? How often does that happen? You worry about extra lead exposure due to the dust? "

I remove all litter when it is needed, (how often depends on amount of casting done and heat applied) flux the pot weather it needs or not then put about ¼" fresh litter in.

The dust is heavy enough that I don't worry about breathing any, no wind in my garage.
If you cast outside when windy or with a big fan then stay down wind.

docone31
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I use the Kitty Litter to also dump my damp rejects into. They float on top, dry out and eventually melt into the pot. I let the litter sit in my pot untill it turns into powder. I rarely add any. All the crud sticks to the poweder.

madcaster
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=carpetman;484808]By the old kind of kitty litter, if you mean used---dont use that. Buying kitty litter is a very embarassing deal--people see you in line at the checkout with it and think you have a cat.. Only thing you can do to minimize this lowering predicament is point to the cat on the sack and let everyone know you are buying it to get the target.

Thanks Carpetman,
Good advice I will heed!:bigsmyl2:

Ricochet
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
There's a deodorizing kind of kitty litter that's got perchlorate or some other sort of oxidizer in it. Said to spontaneously flame up if used to soak up oil.

carpetman
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Ricochet--there is a kitty litter that flames when it soaks up oil? Hmmm. I could put a nearly full container of oil in the kitty litter box and when the cat tinkles into this container and the oil overflows-- fried cat. What is this stuff called and where do I get it?

Red River Rick
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
-- fried cat. What is this stuff called and where do I get it?

We know how much Carpetman likes cats............................this should be interesting.

RRR

Shuz
02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I believe the corect nomenclature for the material kitty litter and some floor sweeps are made from is diatomaceous earth. The stuff really works great for those of us using bottom pour pots. Keeps the ambient air from oxidizing the melt as well as maintaining temperature.

RevRich
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Shuz,
You are correct sir, the non clumping kind of kitty litter is made from diatomaceous earth which is a naturally occurring, soft, chalk-like sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silica, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron.

Bentonite, on the other hand, is what clumping cat litter is made up of. Bentonite clumps up in the presence of moisture, allowing waste to be isolated and scooped out, leaving behind clean litter. Today, roughly 60% of the cat litter sold in the U.S. is of the clumping variety, and most of it is made from bentonite clay.

I was mistaken on which type you were talking about.

hydraulic
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
There are big bentonite plants in the Bighorn basin in Wyoming near the towns of Lovell and Greybull. The whole basin was once a huge lake and the bentonite is the clay from the bottom of that ancient lake. They find dinasour tracks in the rocks under the clay. Bentonite is used by oil drillers and for lining the bottom of stock ponds. It seals the pond and keeps water from soaking away. Don't drive out on the unpaved roads in this area when they have one of their infrequent rains. I got caught out there one time. The bentonite mud clung to the tires and they got bigger and bigger around until I came to where the road had a slight crown and the whole pickup slowly slide sideways into the ditch. The rain stopped. Half an hour later it had dried up and I drove back onto the road. I think bentonite is also used in toothpaste.

bbs70
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
There's a deodorizing kind of kitty litter that's got perchlorate or some other sort of oxidizer in it. Said to spontaneously flame up if used to soak up oil.

This could get interesting:-D
Sounds like a great idea for a Halloween party.:-D

Carpet man doesn't like cats, hhhmmmm.
Well carpet man you would probably like this game.
Cat Bowling (http://www.syix.com/elmer/Flash%20Games%202/Cat%20Bowling.swf)
Great time killer.

ghh3rd
02-03-2009, 01:10 AM
So with a bottom pour pot you keep about 1/4" of kittly litter on top, and don't have to flux? Do you stir it around and then let it float to the top? Doesn't it clog up your pour spout?

I was also wondering how you 'hand cut' the sprue - sounds interesting.

Thanks

Goatlips
02-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Carpetman may not like cats but I hope he never changes his avatar. [smilie=w:

Goatlips

94Doug
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
I was going to say, wouldn't you just buy Oil Dri from the Auto Parts store? That would be a lot cheaper I would think.

carpetman
02-03-2009, 05:33 AM
ghh3rd---clog up spout? Ok, the spout is on the bottom. The lighter stuff stays on top. Kitty litter is lighter stuff. Yes you can stir it--wont hurt anything dont know if it helps??? Anyways stirred or not stirred it remains lighter and instantly returns to top. Only way it would clog pot if you used way too much before adding to it.

keebo52
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I was also wondering how you 'hand cut' the sprue - sounds interesting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44920

prs
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I use clay based oil dry sold for cleaning garage floors. I jest couldna bear losing face by going through the checkout counter with kitty litter. I'd druther go through with a box of adult diapers than that.

I recommend that the alloy be fluxed very well when smelted and again when put into the casting pot. I also flux when ever I add new lead and get the flux to go through that top layer of clay granules by using lubed PRS boolits with good black powder type lube on 'em. One boolit so lubed will flux the whole pot well and it gets rite down in the bottom o' the pot real quick. Drop the boolit and stir the pot with my side scraper spatula. Now don't go to dropping any loaded rounds in thar, 'specially not any BP loaded rounds!

prs

leadeye
02-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I will have to try that, casting on the tailgate I need all the insulation I can get this time of year.:-D