PDA

View Full Version : One shot two holes

lead Foot
02-01-2009, 03:38 AM
I was given some old Lyman 170gr boolits to try in my 7mm-08 looks like they are pretty hard. The bore rider was 3 thou, over size so I turned it down to fit. Then sized them from .287 to .285 with gas check. These boolits are over 40 years old that was a time when the air was clean and sex was dirty:D.So I loaded some up and shot them at 75 yards. I thought at worst they mite go in side ways but for every shot there were two holes side x side 1/4". I have never seen these before but I have heard of a case with a revolver where the owner pushed a wad cutter down to seat on the powder increasing the pressure. But in this case the Lyman 170gr was only doing 1669fps. The only thing I can think of is they broke in two as 75 yards is two far for a gas check to fly. Your thoughts gentlemen please.
lead Foot
[smilie=6:

leftiye
02-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Looks like your gas checks are coming off?

NSP64
02-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I think leftiye is right. The gc may be comming off @ 74 yrds giving you the cookie cutter hole.
What is you avitar? A snake stuck in an electric fence?

You might try shooting a phonebook @ 75 yrds to try and catch the other piece, whatever it is.

Ricochet
02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Alternatively, the boolit could have separated in the middle. But those were made in the days when Lyman checks were Lyman checks, not relabeled Hornady ones, and they didn't crimp onto the boolits. Don't seat those checks below the case neck.

Shiloh
02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I think leftiye is right. The gc may be comming off @ 74 yrds giving you the cookie cutter hole.
What is you avitar? A snake stuck in an electric fence?

You might try shooting a phonebook @ 75 yrds to try and catch the other piece, whatever it is.

What a simple, great idea!! One could know for sure by the turn of a few pages.

Thanks !!

Shiloh

lead Foot
02-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I have shot this twice with same results and I have to use pliers to get the checks off, the checks are made of copper. I'll try again with the gas check off. The Avatar is a scrub python it was eating sheep and got court up in a electric fence he got a little upset and bit the fence the wire is 10" apart. :Fire:
lead Foot

leftiye
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Bet he liked the taste of that!

sav300
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Leadfoot,you need some fresh boolits?Have some I shoot in a brno combo 7x57r/12bore.
Can mail to you if needed(sized 285 gc lubed)
Lionel

buck1
02-02-2009, 01:46 AM
lead foot, You are going about this all wrong!
Here is how your post should have gone.............
So I have been shooting these 2 shot groups in a high wind, off hand, at night!............LOL
Thats strange indeed. If the boolits were busting there should be SOME keyholing and if the checks were the trouble some would be sideways hits (I would think anyway).
Keep us posted and watch out fer dem snakes!!

Vashtgn
02-02-2009, 02:06 AM
It seems like the round is breaking apart but then again who the hell knows, Call mythbusters man they love this kinda stuff. LOL

rbstern
02-02-2009, 02:37 AM
About five years back, I bought some ugly, soft Reminginton .358 wadcutters with the mica coating that MidwayUSA had on sale. Not only did they lead the barrel something awful, I also found that they came apart with even modest 38 special loads. Some shots with those bullets put two holes in the paper. Have never had any other bullet do that.

HeavyMetal
02-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Your post says you turned these down to fit?

Exactly how did you turn these down? I'm thinking you may have damaged boolit or gascheck or both!

Suggest you fire one that has not been modified in any way and see if the issue repeats itself.

Curious as to the results so please post. If those are the original Lyman stlye " no crimp" checks I'm bettin there are coming off in mid flight!

lead Foot
02-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Thanks guys your reply's are most entertaining I can shoot them two shot groups all day long it's a hoot but I have to get to the end of it.I killed the phone book awhile a go, good idea though.It's raining today so tomorrow it shall be.Heavy Metal I shaved 3 thou' of the bore rider I loaded a round and put it in a LEE lock sud shell holder.I used a drill and emery paper. I had to do this to make it chamber,didn't touch the gas check.Hey Vashtgn I love the mythbusters. I'll keep you guys posted.
lead Foot
:coffee:

GLynn41
02-02-2009, 08:21 AM
still looks like something broke off --or a wobble in the bullet and the gc came off-- may not be stablizing or going to sleep yet at that range

Gohon
02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Looks like keyholes to me. Probable a 4-5 degree or less cant as the bullet strikes the target. If the bullet was coming apart or the check was coming off it would seem to me the appearance of two holes would not be that consistent. Try 50 yards and 100 yards and see if there is that much difference in the two hole appearance. My guess is at 50 yards it would be less noticeable and at 100 yards the key hole would be magnified.

As for 75 yards being to far for a gas check to fly............. I don't know about that. I find the plastic wads from my shotgun out at 40-45 yards all the time.

HeavyMetal
02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
So your sanding the loaded round in a Lee spinner, no clamping on the boolit itself. So inadvertant damage of the boolit is ruled out, for the time being.

That now re opens the keyhole issue! After reading Gohon's post I enlarged the Pic you posted and then got out a magnifiying glass!

The bottom hole shows a lead smear along the top half of the entry hole, a clue that the boolits are indeed exhibiting a wee bit of yaw.

The suggestion to extend the range and give the boolit a chance to completely tumble is a good idea! Better one: Fire at both the phone book, at 75 yards, and a target at 100 yards.

Two rounds should tell you the exact problem. Let us know what you find.

JohnH
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
lead Foot, I have a Thompson Center Contender 44 Magnum Hot Shot Barrel. This barrel was originally intended to shoot skeet using 44 Magnum shot shells. It has a removable "choke" that allows one to shoot ball ammo. The rifling twist is very slow to prevent overspinning the shot charge and it will not stabilize anything longer than a 200 grain ball. I discovered this by shooting some 260 grainers I have. These are a plain base boolit, the mold is the Lee 44-310 with the gas check shank milled off. The holes look exactly like yours. I believe it is keyholing. The simple way to determine if the gas check is coming off at extended range is to fire at shorter range. If it produces a single clean hole, it is a gas check problem. If you have "two holes" it is keyholing.

kamikaze1a
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I think that long boo is breaking in two. One hole has the pushed through smear whereas the back secton is acting like a wadcutter and cutting a clean hole... It must be breaking at the forward most groove...probably due to the rifling spin. Amazing part is that they hold the trajectory together.

357maximum
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I bet if you bump the velocity up a bit it will go away.

lead Foot
02-03-2009, 04:42 AM
The verdict.
The reply's to this tread have been impressive thanks. I loaded up the last five boolits for the final run. I couldn't get a volunteer to catch my boolits and I didn't have any phone books left so I thought of filling an old chemical drum with river sand. I thought the gas checks wouldn't go 75 yards but a lot of guys said it might So I shot them at a 100 yards. Only recovered two, could only get minute of barn :roll: as you can see three round holes (one in drum) One boolit whole the other half. one 110 grains the other 65grains 50/50. The gas checks were not on the boolits but close by. It turned out to be a bit of a fizzer but bloody good fun.
Thanks lead Foot.
:drinks:

docone31
02-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Have you thought of sixing the checks and useing paper?
It solved everything for me.