PDA

View Full Version : A Good Lock Is Important, Too!

Linstrum
01-17-2006, 07:34 AM
44minimum's thread on safes is one that hasn't come up very often before, but it is an important one!

Make sure that when you get a gun safe that it doesn’t keep YOU out, too!

When getting a safe, make darn good and sure that it is equipped with a reliable lock that you can get open quickly, even in poor light. There may be times when you need the safe opened immediately if not sooner, so make sure that the lock is one that is easy to operate as well as one that you are comfortable with.

The lock that was originally on my Wells-Fargo gun safe was the classic four-number rotary dial combination tumbler type lock made by S&G. That is the type where the first number must be passed by four times, the second number three times, the third number twice, and the last number once where it stops in place automatically. The lock was a real problem to operate and sometimes it took ten attempts of running through the combination sequence before it would open, which is around fifteen minutes of messing with it. The problem is not making mistakes in the combination, instead, according to S&G, that model of lock is far too sensitive to pausing the dial rotation between numbers in order to re-grasp the dial so as to complete the rotation to the correct combination number. As such, it is a treacherous built-in flaw and it is my opinion that those locks should never be used for gun safes or any other application where quick access is a must.

The push button type locks are much more user friendly, but if they are battery powered the down side is that the batteries need to be replaced often enough to ensure being able to get the safe open quickly without needing to resort to the fail-safe dead battery mode.

eka
01-17-2006, 09:37 AM
I have the rotary S&G lock you describe. I use my thumb against the face of the dial to spin it the desired number of rotations. I have never had a problem with it, but now that I think about it, I really never pause between the numbers. Just dumb luck that I started doing it like that I guess. I also do not lock my home defense weapon in the safe. If I leave home, it's with me and when I'm home, it's close by. I don't always use the same weapon, but the others are locked up.

mike in co
01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
well...lets just say one should not put all the eggs in one basket.........

do you take the gas out of your car when you park it ???

i dont lock up all my guns, and they aint all empty either.

i'm not likely to ever be in a hurry to get in my safe.......

Mk42gunner
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Having used somewhere around a hundred safes with Mosler, S&G, (and probably some others) it became second nature the let my left thumb ride on the dial. That said, I really like the Electronic dial combination locks, I think they are the 7000 series from S&G.
I don't like the number pads because over time the numbers will show wear. Whatever one you get make sure that you get a change key so the combo can be changed.
Remember to test the new combo three or four times before you close the door. (Don't ask how I know this).

Robert

NVcurmudgeon
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
My safe has a G&G four number combination lock as you described. I am prone to clumsiness with combinations, but after I got used to this one, no trouble. My safe is about 14 years old and I dont have to think about how I spin the dial. Maybe your lock is over-sensitive/defective?