PDA

View Full Version : Questions about testing bullets

ghh3rd
02-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I have been casting 148gr wadcutters (first time casting, and it is fun). I've purchased two types of factory ammo for the new SW 642 snub so far, and have had a few folks hand me samples of theirs to try out. It seems almost every one groups in a different location. Is this because of the dynamics of using a very short barrel?

I hope to start using my reloading equipment by next weekend. Of the ammo that I purchased, I have saved 50 cases from one brand and 50 from another. I would think for testing loads, using the same headstamp would be important. Is this correct?

I have about 10 gallons of various range brass to sort out so I may be able to cull out more than 50 of one headstamp. As I step up the powder charge, what would be the minimum number of rounds in order to get a good grouping test? All 50 rounds (one test per trip to the range)? Perhaps 25 one charge, and 25 with the next higher charge? How many times can the same brass be used?

Are there any types of brass that I should avoid? I've heard something about AMER not being good, but don't know why. Any others to look out for?

Do you need to tweak the powder load for each change in bullet weight, design, etc. to optimize accuracy?

Thanks for everyone's patience and help.

Randy

Buckshot
02-01-2009, 01:57 AM
I have been casting 148gr wadcutters (first time casting, and it is fun). I've purchased two types of factory ammo for the new SW 642 snub so far, and have had a few folks hand me samples of theirs to try out. It seems almost every one groups in a different location. Is this because of the dynamics of using a very short barrel?

Different boolit weight's, powder charges, barrel time, your hold and your reaction to recoil, torque on the pistol.

I hope to start using my reloading equipment by next weekend. Of the ammo that I purchased, I have saved 50 cases from one brand and 50 from another. I would think for testing loads, using the same headstamp would be important. Is this correct?

Yes, that and lot number.

I have about 10 gallons of various range brass to sort out so I may be able to cull out more than 50 of one headstamp. As I step up the powder charge, what would be the minimum number of rounds in order to get a good grouping test?

For initial testing 10 rounds would suffice.

How many times can the same brass be used?

Who can tell? There are lots of variables that can effect case life. Load intensity, the amount of resizing you do, how hard you crimp, the condition of your size die, and probably most important is the initial care and attention paid to the creation of the brass by the manufacturer.

Are there any types of brass that I should avoid?

Yes, nickle plated.

I've heard something about AMER not being good, but don't know why. Any others to look out for?

You'll never go wrong by buying known name brand cases. Everyone has a story of a bad lot but a name brand manufacturer will take care of any that are proven bad.

Do you need to tweak the powder load for each change in bullet weight, design, etc. to optimize accuracy?

Yes. Plus powder types, alloy hardness, crimp pressure, crimp type, or to crimp at all, swap lubes, and you can diddle with primers.

Thanks for everyone's patience and help.

Randy

..............Buckshot

Dean D.
02-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Buckshot has given you some great advice, not much left to add!

I will comment on your question: "How many times can the same brass be used?"

After you clean your brass carefully inspect each one for defects. Like Buckshot said, different lots from the same manufacture can last different numbers of reloads.

Be careful with range brass, 99% of the time you'll be ok but... I just finished going through some 30-06 range brass and ALL of a certain HS had minute splits in the neck that were only visible with magnification after tumbling. They might have loaded ok but who wants to take a chance?

Bret4207
02-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I believe it takes ME at least 20-30 rounds to see what a load will do. But I'm near blind as far as precision shooting with irons goes these days. Regardless the more you shoot, the better and idea you get of what that load will do. I also think if you change lube you need to go through 20+ rounds before the barrel settles down and shoots the best it will.

ghh3rd
02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
But I'm near blind as far as precision shooting with irons goes
I know what you mean. I have to pull my glasses way out on my nose to get a fairly good look at the sights. At least there are red dots :neutral:

Thanks all for the information.

Randy