PDA

View Full Version : Rain

357tex
01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
wills did you get any rain? All I got here in Hopkins co. was just enought to settle the dust. :violin:

wills
01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Here in Gillespie County, where I am working, it is about the same. Had a lot of wind out of the Southwest, a cold front (I have not figured that out yet) and about enough rain to settle the dust. Haven’t talked to SWMBO yet about what happened at home in Fayette Co.

wills
01-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Well, nothing of significance in Fayette County.

IMR
01-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm in Hunt County. We got a few minutes of rain and dime sized hail Friday evening and that was it.

Maineboy
01-18-2006, 08:56 PM
You Texans can have some of our rain. This is normally a pretty frozen time of the year for us Mainiacs. We should be snowmobiling, skiing, ice fishing, and snowshoeing. The season began "normally" when we had a snowstorm on Christmas day that dumped 35 inches of snow on us before ending on the 27. Now we're in the middle of our second rainstorm of the month and this rain on top of that snow is causing all kinds of problems.

wills
01-18-2006, 09:14 PM
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/DD/ybd1.html

I’ve heard the rain situation has been the worst this past year since the big drought most of us remember in the 50’s.

357tex
01-18-2006, 10:43 PM
wills
I was a baby back in the 50's.But I grew up hearing about it.I had no grass last summer made no hay. And it is costing dearly to feed what few cows I have .But it will rain someday. I am glad we dont have the snow like maineboy is talking about.No wait snow does melt into water don't it.I belive I would take about 3ft. of that right now. [smilie=l:

longhorn
01-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I actually know when it's gonna rain-right at the end of this dry spell. We got just enough moisture Tuesday morning to crust up the dust on my windshield.

wills
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I was very young, but remember a little, and always heard about it too.

carpetman
01-18-2006, 11:17 PM
I did a search on "Ask Jeeves" as to when it would rain. He said didn't know would have to ask Starmetal Joe on a question that hard.

waksupi
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
I did a search on "Ask Jeeves" as to when it would rain. He said didn't know would have to ask Starmetal Joe on a question that hard.

I don't care who you are, now, that's funny.

C'mon, Joe, chime in!

I knew a guy who claimed to have a drop of water from west Texas in a jar. I told him I couldn't see it. He says, of course ya can't see it, ya damn fool! It's dehydrated. Ya gotta add some water, to plump it up!

Found out I had to soak it for three days.

shooter575
01-18-2006, 11:57 PM
"I knew a guy who claimed to have a drop of water from west Texas in a jar. I told him I couldn't see it. He says, of course ya can't see it, ya damn fool! It's dehydrated. Ya gotta add some water, to plump it up!"

Ric,That is funny!!!
Been goofie winter here also.Real cold end of Nov till after Christmas.Been warm since.Heck we aint got but couple inches of frost in the ground,if that.Should have 3 feet this time of year. We gonna get some rain an go up to 40-45 for the weekend.

wills
01-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Don’t get starmetal involved in this, he will have all the rain in a one half inch group!

357tex
01-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Or it would just rain in our one holers [smilie=l:

C1PNR
01-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Don’t get starmetal involved in this, he will have all the rain in a one half inch group!
One ragged hole, so to speak! Heck, I get them from time to time in my T-Paper.:veryconfu

crazy mark
01-19-2006, 12:56 AM
I wish you all would get some of the rain we are having. 3" in 2 days and more on the way....

Shepherd2
01-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I hope you get some rain real soon. We had a pretty dry summer but not like the drought we had a few years back. I thought for a while I'd have to haul water from town for the cattle. The springs are at least running now but about 1/3 the normal flow.

Good luck.

PatMarlin
01-19-2006, 03:07 AM
Maybe we could rig up a big hose or sumpthin' down there from us up here in Northern Californiay.

wills
01-19-2006, 09:07 AM
It seemed every few years somebody used to come up with an idea to build a pipeline to bring water from the Mississippi river. Haven’t heard that one lately though.

Carpetman will be spending the summer at the lakes, watching them burn, if things don’t improve.

Scrounger
01-19-2006, 09:47 AM
It seemed every few years somebody used to come up with an idea to build a pipeline to bring water from the Mississippi river. Haven’t heard that one lately though.

Carpetman will be spending the summer at the lakes, watching them burn, if things don’t improve.

Maybe you can talk him into sacrificing a goat or something. He'll want to do a cat but that doesn't seem to be doing much good...

wills
01-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Cabrito Barbeque!

kenjuudo
01-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe we could rig up a big hose or sumpthin' down there from us up here in Northern Californiay.

Pat, maybe yall should keep tha Kalifornistan water there, seems to make people crazy judgeing from the goings on there....

jim

Scrounger
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Cabrito Barbeque!

You got room to throw on a cat for the CarpetMan?

wills
01-21-2006, 09:27 AM
We got a half inch last night, and a norther blew in. It's down in the 40's now.

357tex
01-21-2006, 10:12 AM
wills you are just bragging .We did not get a thing.Or maybe we got some of waksupi west texas rain.If we did it sure is dry. [smilie=b:

Scrounger
01-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Wills, I don't understand why you're complaining! There's someplace in South America where the scientists claim it hasn't rained in over 750 years. Now that's a drought. Thankfully here we're not getting any rain either so we don't have the big weed problems we had last year. I won't complain till the well dries up. We do get quite a temperature variation though. The other day it was 22 degrees at 6:30 AM and got up to 70 in the early afternoon. Thirty to sixty is about average...

wills
01-21-2006, 12:49 PM
We went to the drugstore today and the pharmacist said he got three quarters of an inch.

There is an article in today’s chronicle and a diagram they didn’t put online:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3602208.html

wills
01-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Another three tenths last night!

sundog
01-22-2006, 10:15 AM
No significant rain here in well over a hunert days. It did rain all day Christmas Eve, all day, and wasn't enough to register in my rain guage. I'm wanting to put an asparagus patch this year but can't even put a shovel in the ground to get it ready. sundog

felix
01-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Slow rain here in Fort Smith AR as well, 100 miles south of Sundog. Our weathers are somewhat different than what the world would expect being so close with nothing but rolling plains in between. We have had only one, barely measurable, rain since July 2. Looks like we are not going to get much this time either. ... felix

357tex
01-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Let me brag.I have got 1.5 in in the last 14 hrs.And its still raining.Long slow steady.The best kind of rain.

wills
01-22-2006, 10:26 PM
By dark we got about an inch and a half of slow rain too. I see the Bishop of San Angelo wants to set aside Feb. 12 as a day to pray for rain.

Scrounger
01-22-2006, 11:08 PM
By dark we got about an inch and a half of slow rain too. I see the Bishot of San Angelo wants to set aside Feb. 12 as a day to pray for rain.

Is that what you call the CarpetMan? Wouldn't that interfere with his sheep training?

wills
01-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I guess they argue over who gets to use the title.

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/2227532.html

wills
02-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Getting some rain in Fayette county now.

357tex
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Wills
Putting out hay this morning it's wet and muddy just like I like it! Nice gentle rain.Supposed to keep it up most of the day. [smilie=p:

grumble
02-10-2006, 02:41 PM
You folks are making me feel bad. We have a normal 14"/year rainfall, usually distributed about 50-50 from the monsoon (July-Sept) and the winter (Dec-March). Since November, we've had 0.1" of wet stuff, and no prospects of more according to the weather dude.

Looking like a seriously dry year coming up.

wills
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Grumble, here's hoping a big ole juicy cloud comes your way and dumps on you good!

We got six tenths yesterday, and it has cleared off today, supposed to get cold this weekend.

wills
02-24-2006, 11:51 PM
All last week it was cold and wet but only amounted to .6 of an inch. Now it seems we are getting a slow steady rain.

Went to tractor Supply today and was going to buy a middle buster, and a utility cart for the riding mower, and SWMBO told me 'You arent putting that in my truck, come back tomorrow with your own truck'.

357tex
02-25-2006, 01:29 PM
wills
I got 2.5 in. of rain last night & this morning. Tell your wife to be carfull you might not let her ride your lawn mower & pull your cart. [smilie=l:

wills
02-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Home Depot & John Deere sure are proud of those carts :sad:

357tex
02-25-2006, 06:22 PM
John Deere is proud of ever thing they have. Proud to the point of hubris.

Jumptrap
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
John Deere is proud of ever thing they have. Proud to the point of hubris.

Well, it only costs a little more to go first class:). Hubris, log that one with illegimati.

wills
02-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I’ve come to the conclusion most problems can be traced to hubris.

We got about eight tenths of an inch of rain for the weekend. Clear now, forecast for temperature in the 80’s later in the week.

The Nyack Kid
02-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Poo on a stick . six inches of snow with more to come . that is enough to bury the top wire of the barb-wire fence . six more inches and the posts will be out of sight.

wills
02-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Well when it finally melts, the tanks and creeks should be full.

The Nyack Kid
02-28-2006, 08:41 AM
good thng it isn't cold anough to snow else we would really be buried . it has ben raining all night long now . we've goten 2.3 inches in the last 24 hours and is currantly raining "like a cow peein on a flat rock" . great weather for cutting timber. im taking my rubber ducky and subba gear to work .

carpetman
02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Nyack Kid---Upon your advice,I bought the Stihl chainsaw if you recall. It is an "Easy Start" model. I was finding it anything but easy,so I went back to place I bought it and asked is it me or the machine. The guy showed me a thing or two different from what the book said and since then the thing is a real joy to use.

wills
02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Carpetman took that saw back to the store complaining it didn’t cut much so they took Carpetman and the saw outside to cut some mesquite and see what the problem was. When they started the saw, Carpetman asked “What’s that noise?”

StarMetal
02-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I have a Stihl 029 and I love it. Starts easy and cuts great. They did change the oiling system so it doesn't use as much chain oil as the older ones, something about the enviromentalist getting on the chainsaw industry. There's an adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw to adjust the oil setting, but on mine even at the highest setting I still feel it's not quite enough oiling.

Joe

carpetman
02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Starmetal---I think Stihl changed their numbering system. I think the 029 is now 290??????????? Is yours 290cc?

carpetman
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Wills---you are correct in that I have been cutting some mesquite. Down towards the river,I found some live oaks that are struggling because of all the mesquites. I have cut down a bunch of mesquite and trimmed the live oak. I think a few spreading live oaks would look pretty good. I dont know if the mesquite I cut down will be seasoned long enough by this fall to make good firewood. Green mesquite sure takes a lot of dead wood to get it burned. I have also been trimming the mesquites in the vacant lot behind my house, as you know the mesquites will make a big tree if you trim them and looks better than the scrubby brush they otherwise will be.

StarMetal
02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Ray,

I believe the 290 is 56.5 cc. I don't think the number reflects the cc size. My God, just think how big the engine is a 250cc trailbike.

Joe

carpetman
02-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Starmetal---Not thinking in metrics(cc's for example)I didnt even consider how big it would be. Now that you mention it,my 250 is not 250cc but like 47cc .

reloaderman
02-28-2006, 05:06 PM
We finialy, got .55 in. Fri, here in San Angelo, and we really need more! Even the fish here are getting ticks! :violin:

wills
02-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Now, if there is water in the Concho, watch out for Carpetman pearl diving.

Did y'all notice we now have TWO Angeloans! :holysheep

The Nyack Kid
02-28-2006, 10:57 PM
funny thing happened , we finnished cutting out the Unit today. the Clipper and i were getting close to each other, so my boss gets out of the clipper to come over to deside were we would make the boundy for our strips . we were walking around taking a look at what was left , and the the sky opened , with out worning up and dumped a pile O marble sized hale on us . the race was on for tree cover( larch dont make good tree cover misletoe D-fir does make good tree cover provided you dont have to chop you way though them ) . i didn't have it too bad as i was wearing a hard hat but Dave didn't fare too well . Oh the shame! the whining ,crying and bawling could hardly be heard over my laughing . pretty funny.
then i ran out of saw gas with two little trees left to cut . then it was my turn to whine ,crying and bawling , i thought about chopping them down with my ax , then thought better of it , soz i end up hiking back cross my strip through the felled trees and knee deep snow to grab the saw jugs . All so you guys can build tractor sheds and use TP .

The Nyack Kid
02-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a Stihl 029 and I love it. Starts easy and cuts great. They did change the oiling system so it doesn't use as much chain oil as the older ones, something about the enviromentalist getting on the chainsaw industry. There's an adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw to adjust the oil setting, but on mine even at the highest setting I still feel it's not quite enough oiling.

Joe

I never did respond when you asked about this the first time . i dont know of any little trick to in crease the amount of oil on the chain , it has never bothered me really . I keep the oil holes cleaned out and I run Stihl chain and bars . Stihl bars IMO hold up better than Oregon Bars ( I 've never ran Carlton or Woodsman Pro bars) and the Stihl chain is better quility than Oregon chain , its streched at the factory , has groves on the drivers to get oil into the rivits and it seems to be harder.
the only time that one would need more oil is if one was cutting very pitchy wood (like old growth Larch)

waksupi
03-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Kid, I remember stepping outside the shop midafternoon, and it looked like you were really catching it over that way!

PatMarlin
03-01-2006, 01:00 AM
funny thing happened ...

A logger runs and seeks cover and protection by the vary things he's wacking down. How poetic...

Bwaaaaaahaaaaa.. :mrgreen:

wills
03-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Ought to be able to cook some good barbeque with that green mesquite.

wills
03-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Cold, too. Temperature dropped to the 70’s at sunset and was about 50 this morning!

deadpan
03-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Rain?? What's rain.........oh yeah, that's melted snow!! lol

wills
03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
One Inch last night!

felix
03-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Two inches total yesterday and today at my house, fort smith AR. Still about 15 inches below normal. The drinking water lakes are all dried up, and the towns around here are sucking river water. Clean water, but extremely salty. Not healthy, but safe, they say. I wonder. ... felix

PatMarlin
03-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Here up North in Californiay Felix, we're gettin' a ton of rain and snow this year. It's snowin' like carzy right now.. :drinks:

357tex
03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
wills
we got 5in in hopkins co.this weekend. My pools are allmost full.Now that I sold most of my cows I got lots of green grazing.[smilie=l:

wills
03-28-2006, 02:33 PM
It always rains, just never when we need it. Better to have been able to sell those cattle than have them disappear in a fire, like up in the Panhandle.

We got an inch this morning, but last weeks freeze killed our tomatoes.

wills
04-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Another inch last night, but we seem to have skipped spring and gone directly into August. Temperature has been in the mid 90’s and the “grass” is nice and crunchy. SWMBO’s cousins reported heavy rain and storm damage up the road.

We were up around Lufkin and Crockett last week and everything was green and the tanks full.

357tex
04-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Wills
We got .5 in last night and 1 in the night before.Things look good up here.We were needing the rain.

Frank46
04-22-2006, 02:56 AM
375Tex, here in loosiana we basically have had little to no real rain since either hurricane last year. Friday it rained (if you can call it that) for all of about ten minutes. Temps during the day have gone well into the 80's with a couple days in the 90's. Sugar cane farmers are not going to have a good season this year unless we get some decent rainfalls. my pool level has dropped about a good 5-6"
in the last few weeks. We need rain here bad. frank

357tex
04-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Frank46
I thought Louslana always had rain.Last spring, summer and winter we were real short on rain.I lost some big trees in my yard,sold most of my cattle.I pray the drought is over.But it has not been a wet spring.Almost didn't plow the garden but with this weeks rain I can plant.
Hope you get you need.

PatMarlin
04-22-2006, 08:46 AM
It's amazing how weather can be so different in parts of our country.

Here in upper N. California, we have had record rainfall. It was snowing up to two days ago, and the rain keeps coming back.

wills
04-22-2006, 09:07 PM
The corn is waist high and we will probably be having turnip greens this week. Why is it Bermuda grass grows in the garden but not in the lawn?

357tex
04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Wills
You are blessed:-D .Your wife does do all the weeding and you the mowing?I love greens of all kinds.But fresh tomatos are the best.My wife put out 50 plants last week.I will put the sweet corn & peas water melons out this week!I can tast it already.[smilie=w:

Slowpoke
04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=wills] Why is it Bermuda grass grows in the garden but not in the lawn?

Not sure in your case, but in mine it's because of all the horse manure I put in the garden

Good luck

Frank46
04-23-2006, 04:54 AM
Tex, you'd figure being close to the gulf we'd be getting all sorts of rain. Normally we would be getting torrential downpours but no such luck. I can't even take the chance of burning all the tree limbs and pine cones due to the dry conditions. Its just not worth the risk. Normally we could do this as I always have the garden hose (about 150 feet worth) out back to catch any stray embers, but not now thats for sure. Hopefully will get some rain soon. I'd like to start my truck garden again but no rain. I usually plant corn, string beans,pepper plants, egg plants, radish's, nad some carrots. Last time I planted corn I had to burn it as it developed some kind of fungus and when I asked the county agent about it he said burn it as the fungus was toxic. Used to plant a variety of corn called 404 hairless great stuff. Now they don't sell that variety as it was not hybrid. Used to get ears almost a foot long or better. Closest thing now is a variety called pioneer.
This is a hybrid corn and since it is you cannot use the kernels as seed stock. The 404 hairless you could. The dealer that sold the hairless would only get a few sacks each season and it would go fast. He sold his business and the guy who bought it couldn't get any. He eventually went out of business. Frank

wills
04-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Wills
You are blessed:-D .Your wife does do all the weeding and you the mowing?I love greens of all kinds.But fresh tomatos are the best.My wife put out 50 plants last week.I will put the sweet corn & peas water melons out this week!I can tast it already.[smilie=w:

The weeding has been limited since she tripped over the dog and dislocated her shoulder.

wills
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
It has grown some, the picture is about 3 days old

Frank46
04-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Tex, well finally got some rain here in loosiana worth mentioning. Lotsa thunder and lightening too. First real thunder boomer in a looong time. Now I gotta cut the darn grass!!. Frank

Ranch Dog
04-26-2006, 06:50 AM
We where supposed to start getting some here in DeWitt county yesterday and all it was was a disappointing sprnkle. We have had less than 5" of rain since September 1st of last year!!!

My property is under a 1-D-1 for wildlife, thank God I gave up the cattle in 1999, but I do have do produce crops for the deer as part of the plan to maintain that exemption.

The photo is a field above my house that is waiting to be planted the first week of May. This is the only rain it sees.

357tex
04-26-2006, 07:16 AM
wills
that looks good,hope my corn looks that way in a few weeks.Hope your wife geets better in time to put all that corn up,it will sure tast good next winter.

357tex
04-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Frank 46
Glad you got rain.That does mean the grass will grow,I can't talk my wife into letting the cows graze the frount yard.She's narrow minded about that.We did wake up sunday morning with the bull minding his own bussiness in the yard he had grazed his way through the garden and on out into the yard.Had to fix fence before church.

ranch dog do you miss the joys of cattle owner ship?[smilie=l:

felix
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
We finally are getting some rain here in fort smith ar. The water table is still extremely low, and probably will take a year or more of above normal rains to bring the ponds back up to a level where we can get drinking water. The town has been using river water for the last 6 months, and you sure can tell it by the junk in it. ... felix

wills
04-26-2006, 08:35 AM
We got an inch last night, and the temperature has dropped into the 50's this morning.

Ranch Dog
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
ranch dog do you miss the joys of cattle owner ship?[smilie=l:

I enjoyed the cattle business about as much as I enjoy smashing my thumb with a sledge hammer :-?

wills
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Eating the first zucchini from the garden this evening. Going to have a mess of turnip greens tomorrow.

wills
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Seven tenths last night

wills
05-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Two and seven tenths yesterday. Left the shop door open, a mess.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I can surely equate with lack of rain. We have had just 3.5" in the past 12 months following on from 3 years of less than half of normal rainfall of 30".

The local reverand said that when it rained for 40 days and forty nights that we only got half inch from that !:roll: :roll:

This land used to be green and have pasture 3 feet high
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/IMG_2033.jpg

wills
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
That's dry.

357tex
06-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Wills
Are you eating corn yet?

wills
06-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Wills
Are you eating corn yet?

Yep, have been for a while. In fact the corn is done, we picked all of it. We water the garden a lot, and the produce is bout to run us out. Giving a lot away.

wills
06-14-2006, 06:27 PM
And the best cantaloupe I have ever eaten, like orange sugar. Lassie has been sitting in my lap begging for bites.

Bigscot
06-14-2006, 07:02 PM
The remnants of Hurricane Alberto dropped around 6" of rain on us today in the Raleigh area. We may have just made up defecit for the year.

Bigscot

wills
06-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Yep, we’ve been kind of hoping for a nice juicy one here.

357tex
06-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Looking good wills.I have been watering my garden also.Corn is almost ready.We do need a big rain for sure.

bobbalee
06-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Here in Kaufman Co. we can't wash cars or water with sprinklers. Dry as a bone. Bob

wills
06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I didn’t realize it was that dry up that way. We were up at Crockett and Lufkin and all the tanks se saw were full, and the pastures green. Y’all live in town?

Half an inch today.

bobbalee
06-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Burn ban, no aerial fireworks, no trash burning, in a barrel or not.
Worse in town I think. Sheesh, I thought I lived in a free country. Bob

DLCTEX
06-17-2006, 02:29 AM
rain! We finally got a good rain, Had to take some high wind and a little hail with it, but not much damage done here at home. Lost power for about 5 hrs. so I haven't heard of any damage in the area. Eastern Texas panhandle.

Frank46
06-17-2006, 03:53 AM
357Tex, well we finally got some rain here in new iberia loosiana. Darn frog strangler. Cane fields are really mud bogs now. Maybe I can finally burn all the branches and stuff I've been picking up these last few months. Frank

Rick N Bama
06-18-2006, 05:22 PM
If any of you guys know how to do a rain dance, please come to N. Alabama & do it for us! We're hurting. I had .03" of rain about 2 weeks ago and that's been it for the past 3 weeks. If I don't get some by tomorrow, I'll have to set out the sprinklers and I haven't had to do that in years.

Rick

wills
06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I don’t know anything about dancing, but maybe Carpetman And The Dancing Ewes could be of assistance.

bobbalee
06-18-2006, 10:21 PM
We got enough last night to settle the dust some. Not near what we need.
Grasshoppers are giving my oak trees heck. Bob

Rick N Bama
06-19-2006, 06:15 AM
I don’t know anything about dancing, but maybe Carpetman And The Dancing Ewes could be of assistance.

ROTFLAMO!!!!!!!

Well someone came & did a short dance as I was blessed with .18" of the wet stuff last night.

Rick

wills
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Too much here, not here where i am, where the story is.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20060619/D8IBERSG0.html

Bigjohn
06-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Rain; I was six years old before I can recall the results of the first rain since I was born. Front yard under two inches of water; then I had to wait another four years for the next shower. That one snuck up on us behind a dust storm. I just made it to the front verandah at home before the rain started fallin'.

We had one Station Owner who bought a Rain gauge when he was a Young man and sold it when he retired "As new, never used, dust included free of charge".[smilie=1:

Where I live now we had a very wet start in May, and now the farmers are scratching their heads and asking when will it rain again.:coffee:

John

357tex
06-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Frank46
we still need rain here.We had a big storm last sunday morning that missed me by 2 miles.dry dusty The frist cutting of hay was real small. may not be another.Good thing I sold most of my cows last winter,will sell some more next week.[smilie=b:

wills
06-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Had .3 of an inch in the rain guage yesterday, but might have been more, had the rain not been coming sideways.

pecos
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Sounds to me like you guys live in a swamp. I'm in SE New Mexico and at my house we have had 6 tenths since October 2005.
pecos

wills
06-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Sounds to me like you guys live in a swamp. I'm in SE New Mexico and at my house we have had 6 tenths since October 2005.
pecos

Probably why we gave it to the yankee government back in 1845.

pecos
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Got 1.7 inches rain last night. Probably that's it for this year, but you get the credit for it, wills. Keep it coming.
pecos

PatMarlin
06-26-2006, 05:59 PM
My wife said yesterday- they reported Red Bluff, Ca up here was the hotest in the country at 118... :roll:

It's hotter then magnum primers up here right now.. :mrgreen:

bobbalee
06-27-2006, 03:05 AM
We had a cold front move in. Only 91 degrees today. Bob

Rick N Bama
06-27-2006, 06:42 AM
In the last 8 days, I've measure 2.4" while at my sisters's just south of me, they've only had a small shower. That's the way it is here in the summer. "Hit & Miss Showers" the weather folks call them.

Our average rainfall here is something like 56" yearly.

Rick

wills
07-02-2006, 08:22 AM
We have one and two tenths in the rain gauge since yesterday, with no dead bug to throw off the calculations. We got a cold front too, got down to the 60’s a few days ago, and I almost went back in the house for a coat, but decided to tough it out. Couple of weeks ago we had another two inches.

357Tex, has that corn made yet?

dragonrider
07-02-2006, 10:22 AM
We had a tad over 4" just last weekend. Had almost 30" in the last two months. Every time it rains here there is a floodwatch. Hopefully it will dry out a little now, weather has been real nice the last few days.

wills
07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
We were supposed to get a tropical depression and rain the past couple of days but so far, clouds and some mist.

wills
08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
About three tenths last night.

357tex
08-23-2006, 10:19 PM
wills
we got .75in. today first since middle of june.all the garden burnt up.may be the grass will grow now.

wills
08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
357tex We watered our garden a lot and it produced till mid July. The quality of the tomatoes declined, the black eyed peas, green beans and corn were finished, and SWMBO began to threaten me if I brought in any more okra or squash, as the freezer was full & she was tired of canning. We did dry some of the late tomatoes, and they turned out well, going to do more of that next year. Next year more black eyes, less squash. If we don’t get some serious rain, we probably wont bother with a fall garden.

bruce drake
08-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Sounds like TS Ernesto may give you some more rain next week.

Bruce

wills
08-26-2006, 06:01 PM
We hope so. It is a topic of considerable discussion.

8/28 update: Looks like we are out of luck

wills
09-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Shazam! Four and two tenths!

357tex
09-18-2006, 09:27 AM
wills
We only got 1.5in.

wills
10-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Two tenths last night, and six tenths a couple of days ago. COLD though, down to 61.

357tex
10-14-2006, 09:58 PM
wills
I got .5in. tue. I have hight hopes for this week end.

Rick N Bama
10-15-2006, 06:47 AM
How about you fellows sending some of that wet stuff toward N. Alabama? I'm 59 years old, well almost, and this is about the driest I've ever seen it. Farmers that normally get 4 cuttings of hay have gotten 1, maybe 2 this year. I'm getting some rain every 2 or 3 weeks or so but it's only been measured in the 100ths lately.

Rick

cherok9878
10-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Rick, my cousin has aprox 700 acres in cultivation, corn, cotton, soy beans and hay. He told me the other day that he will be lucky if he makes enough to pay for chemicals, seed and fuel. Old people that have been around farming tell us that it hasn't been this bad since the early 50's when drought forced many many small farmers out of business, my father included.

357tex
10-15-2006, 10:32 PM
This drought is the worse one since the 50's.This is the 2nd. year here in east texas that there is no grass no hay.Last winter when hay went from $70 to $100 a roll I sold most of my cows.Let my leased land go,and this september I sold most of the rest of the cows,only kept enought to say I am still in the cow busness.But things will get better.It's raining now.:-D

Rick N Bama
10-16-2006, 04:42 AM
Rick, my cousin has aprox 700 acres in cultivation, corn, cotton, soy beans and hay. He told me the other day that he will be lucky if he makes enough to pay for chemicals, seed and fuel. Old people that have been around farming tell us that it hasn't been this bad since the early 50's when drought forced many many small farmers out of business, my father included.

Where is your cousin located? We're getting about a 20% crop overall of Cotton & Corn, well the farmers my Dau & SIL deal with are that is.

The forecast is for rain today into tonight, thanks guys for pushing it this way. Got my fingers crossed.

Rick

wills
10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
How about you fellows sending some of that wet stuff toward N. Alabama? I'm 59 years old, well almost, and this is about the driest I've ever seen it. Farmers that normally get 4 cuttings of hay have gotten 1, maybe 2 this year. I'm getting some rain every 2 or 3 weeks or so but it's only been measured in the 100ths lately.

Rick

We dont have any to spare. As usual it is all falling on Houston, where they dont need it and it causes flooding. We got about another two tenths.

wills
10-17-2006, 07:39 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4264082.html

wills
10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Eight tenths.

wills
10-26-2006, 07:32 AM
1.2" last night, another inch earlier in the week.

wills
12-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Inch and a half in the gauge this morning!

SharpsShooter
12-24-2006, 10:30 AM
We did dry some of the late tomatoes, and they turned out well, going to do more of that next year.

Wills,

Can you pass along how you go about doing that? I'd like to give it a try this next season.

SS

wills
12-24-2006, 11:49 AM
SWMBO sliced the tomatoes, left the skin on and sprinkled them with “Italian Seasoning”, probably McCormick, and sea salt, then put them in the food dehydrator and let ‘em dry.

There is a huge temptation to just eat them like candy.

SharpsShooter
12-24-2006, 11:59 AM
SWMBO sliced the tomatoes, left the skin on and sprinkled them with Italian Seasoning, probably McCormick, and sea salt, then put them in the food dehydrator and let em dry.

There is a huge temptation to just eat them like candy.

Thank you Sir! That does sound right tasty.:-D

SS

carpetman
12-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Wills I am surprised you would be tempted to eat all the tomatoes like candy. I would have thought you would be a LINK sausage guy.

wills
12-25-2006, 09:46 AM
A MISSING link?

Another half inch Christmas day, so two inches in the gauge this week.

wills
04-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Got a lot of rain Dec, Jan, and since. Above average for the year, but our corn is just sprouting.

357tex
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
wills
Here in hopkins co.we have had good rains also.Got the first cutting of hay up.Today I will plant my sweet corn.Looking good for the garden this year.

wills
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I have been wondering how you were doing up there. Looking at the thread, I noticed I reported our corn waist high this time last year. People in town have corn farther along than ours, but town is down in a hole, and I’m on top of a hill. The evenings have been too cool for anything to flourish. I think things may pick up soon.

Another six tenths this afternoon.

wills
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
More rain today. People have hay, but it is too wet to get the equipment out to cut.

357tex
07-06-2007, 12:02 AM
wills
We have lots of rain lots of grass.Everthing is growing great.We got 2.5 in of rain today.My wife said it has rained 19 out of the last 20 days.:-D

andrew375
07-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Here in the uk we have had nothing but rain. Following the wettest june for several decades july is feeling like november! Several major towns have been under water for over a week and are likely to be for some time to come. This is Hull (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6275196.stm) a major port on the east coast where they estimate ten percent of houses are affected.

Naturally the gardening magazines are full of articles on converting your garden over to cope with the drought and heat caused by global warming! Meanwhile I am under siege by snails which have been spending their nights going walkies over my windows and patio door. Nice!:???:

Temperature right now (9.40am) is 12 degrees c (53 f) and it is still raining! :coffee:

wills
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
AUSTIN — Texas is facing a weather challenge of historic proportions with more than 40 days of storms affecting more than 50,000 square miles, disaster-response officials said Thursday.

Thirteen lives had been lost to flooding and treacherous weather conditions as of Thursday, and five people remain missing, according to reports compiled by state officials.

Nearly 1,000 homes had been destroyed in 11 counties surveyed so far out of 51 affected, officials said.

"It's unprecedented in the scope of the size (of the area affected) and the time we've been under this," said Jack Colley, chief of the Governor's Division of Emergency Management, who has been dealing with flood operations since May 23.

Normally at this time of year, he noted: "We're fighting wildfires. We're not fighting floods."

Gov. Rick Perry has issued state disaster declarations for 44 counties; six of them also have received federal disaster declarations.

With five major river basins — the Nueces, Colorado, Brazos, Trinity and Red — all at flood stage for the first time since 1957, even a little of the rain that's expected to continue until the weekend poses a problem, Colley said.

Having the river basins at flood stage means reservoirs must be managed with water releases and there is flooding associated with them, but not every waterway connected to them is flooding. Rains of 1 to 3 inches still were expected across Texas, with 4 to 6 inches possible in some locations.

"We've reached the point now where these lakes and reservoirs are at their maximum capability. When you hear ... '1- or 2-inch rain,' to you that may not seem significant," Colley said. "But right now, those 1- or 2-inch rains are very significant because there's just simply no place for it to go."

Of particular concern Thursday were the Sabine, lower Trinity, Brazos and Nueces rivers, he said.

With affected counties stretching from the northern to the southern part of the state, Texas already has deployed its largest search-and-rescue effort, Colley said.

Perry has activated more than 250 Texas National Guard members and 71 high-profile military vehicles to assist with response to flooding and other emergencies, plus other vehicles and teams to help with potential search-and-rescue missions.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4947059.html

wills
09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Getting dry again. Not much rain since the first of August. I understand the latest word from the LCRA Meteorologist is not to expect any more rain till June

357tex
09-25-2007, 07:18 PM
WiLLS
how are you doing,we are a little dry here but grass is still doing well.I have had to mow my pasture twice this year.Got enought hay to last 2 years,life is good here.Cows are fat,all bred slick.Now if I could get my sav. md99 308 to shoot cast and not lead,I would be in hog heaven.

wills
09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
So much rain here till august people couldn't cut hay. A lot of it got too high and is not going to be much good. We had the whole years' worth of rain by first part of August, then it stopped. Corn was sprouting in the fields and farmers couldn't get machinery in to harvest. Tanks are full though, but pastures beginning to get a little crisp. Just got a 99 in 308 myself, but haven't done anything with it yet.

Boz330
09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Bring that hay up here to KY. You'll get a fortune for it. Most folks got one cutting and not much at that. Plus they are already feeding it. The neighbor cut again the end of last week and I don't think it was even 6 inches deep, but anything is better than nothing. Lots of corn was cut for silage since it didn't make much of an ear. This has been one of the driest years I can remember.

Bob

wills
01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks like things havent changed. We didnt even get any ice from the winter storm that was forcast a couple of days ago.

DLCTEX
01-29-2009, 11:46 PM
We got some snow, some freezing rain. Not much moisture, but any was appreciated. Didn't leave the house for two days, though, slick as owl grease (an old saying of my grandmother's).

wills
01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
We got some snow, some freezing rain. Not much moisture, but any was appreciated. Didn't leave the house for two days, though, slick as owl grease (an old saying of my grandmother's).

Not exactly the way I heard the saying:-D

357tex
02-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Wills
We got a little ice,a little rain.But it was over 70 here today.Looking foward to time to put in my garden.Thought about plowing today,but was to lazy.We do need rain again.

wills
02-01-2009, 02:09 AM
We have some cabage in, some onions well anong and planted more. Bought some seed potatoes a couple of days ago. We will plant those sometime this month, but we sure need rain.

wills
04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Rain, 2.39 inches of it according to the weather report. We sure needed it

DLCTEX
04-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Here in the Eastern panhandle I've had 1," then four days later I've gotten1.3" with a chance for more in an hour or so. Had .3"rain+7" of snow a few weeks ago. It's adding up and greatly needed.

wills
04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
People around here report 6 to 8 inches for the weekend. Tanks are only about a foot low now. Cow chips floated out of the neighbors pasture and landed on the road.

357tex
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Wills
We have corn and peas up and doing well.Weather is great I love the spring.:-D

wills
10-06-2010, 09:45 PM
It appears we are in for a dry fall this year.