PDA

View Full Version : rookie ? on mix

cephas53
01-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Came across some ingots from ebay Looked at the ad and they were said to be lino, but later in the ad called lyman 2. Took a couple today and added them to about a quarter filled pot of ww. They floated on top and instead of melting cleanly, sort of turned to a crumbly mush first. Very long melt time even on high. Major dross on top that sounds like the oatmeal I've read about here with zinc contamination. Any insights appreciated. Have a good one.

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
cephas53,

Search this website for zinc wheelweights. Also see:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40797 read posts 1,3,11

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765

You could post a photo and ask for confirmation of zinc contamination.

Roger

docone31
01-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Sometimes, when I melt the tougher alloys I get that result also. I crank up the heat, toss in the flux, and stir and stir.
Sometimes I have to sweeten the mix with some lead.
It is my belief, zinc aside, that some alloys get oxide blocks and do not dissolve into an alloy easily. Some alloys are more of a colloidal bridge than alloy. It is my belief that the addition of a purer lead helps break the clumps also.
Zinc is another matter. I paper patch, and I do like some zinc in my melt. Not much, but some.
If there is zinc in the melt, cranking up the heat, stirring well, with flux, then reduceing the heat, the zinc will congeal and "float". It can be then scooped up and put aside. Antimony will also do the same thing. Too much of any material in an alloy, there will be excess that seperates. An alloy needs acid, or evaporation to seperate.
You might have some hard Lino there. Might take some work to make it work.

Bret4207
02-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I refuse to buy lead off ebay. You have no clue what you're getting and they don't either.

jnovotny
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
+1 with Bret4207. Buy from people you can trust. Those smucks on evilbay are just trying to turn a dollar they don't care what they sell you. Just my opinuion, take it for what it's worth.

Hardcast416taylor
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Even well meaning friends that give you "lead" they find can be a double edged sword. I`ve been given boxes of gift "lead" by non-casting friends that turn out to be everything fron welding rod to scrap steel snippings to zinc weights. I treasure my friends, but I check what they are giving me closely. :castmine: Robert

sniper7369
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I refuse to buy lead off ebay. You have no clue what you're getting and they don't either.

+1
I've gotten to the point I refuse to buy anything at all of ebay. Too many crooks.