PDA

View Full Version : What is the main Purpose Of lubing boolits?

michaelfrancis79
01-31-2009, 08:33 PM
What is the main Purpose Of lubing boolits? can I load bullets with out being lube?

Ricochet
01-31-2009, 08:44 PM
You can load them that way, but most likely when you shoot them you'll get a mess of lead in your barrel.

Willbird
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
The exact FUNCTION of bullet lubricant is a subject of much debate, IE HOW does it work. The why is very easy, as the other fella said if you do not have it, the barrel fills with lead.

People have fired full wadcutters in very smooth 38 special barrels with no lubricant at all, but everything has to be JUST perfect.

Bill

Tom W.
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
It's really so Glenn can have some spending money....

Blammer
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Keep em from getting stuck in the barrel!:bigsmyl2:

:bigsmyl2:

deltaenterprizes
01-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Reduce, if not totally prevent leading.

357maximum
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
:bigsmyl2: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/lube.htm :bigsmyl2:

Recluse
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
What is the main Purpose Of lubing boolits? can I load bullets with out being lube?

Seeing as how what we do is often referred to as a combination between Black Magic and VooDoo, the purpose of lubing boolits is to further the mystique to those souless souls who continue to shoot mainly jacketed bullets, and to absolutely confound the Hell-bound heathens who only shoot factory centerfire ammunition.

In order to add to the mystique, boolit casters must spend many hours isolated in their reloading shops or rooms or garages chanting unintelligible incantations while we hover over a hodgepodge of hot plates filled with an assortment of flea-market skillets, pots and other worthy heat-proof containers.

Inside these magical containers, the unwashed amongst us will find an assortment of witch's brews ranging from old transmission fluid to beesway, Johnson's Paste Wax to Liquid Alox, carnuaba wax to lanolin, vasoline to mineral oil. To those of us who have made a pact with the Gods of the Silver Stream, and sealed it with second and third degree burns from our casting and smelting pots, the ingredients, while vital, are not as important as the ratio and amount of ingredients.

The more practiced among our secretive and mysterious ranks have begun perfecting this caulderon of smoking, fragrant fluids and now peddle them to those of us who are not quite of Merlin's magical stature. We then mortgage another segment of our soul devising original ways of applying said mystically slippery concoction to those little silver surrogate children, known as boolits, that we born from moulds made of steel, iron, brass and aluminum. Some apply the sacred concoctions by way of tumbling the precious and blessed soon-to-be projectiles. Others melt said concoction, and then stand their lovingly formed and sized boolits upright, then gently pour the mystical substance around the projectiles.

Others resort to pressure-dependent, fiendish devices that squeeze the mystical concoction through tiny holes and apply it to the bands of the boolits. No matter the method, without the proper incantations, atmosphere and proper state of spirituality, your endeavors may very well fall short.

The novices amongst us would argue that the purpose of lubing our boolits is to reduce the amount of surface lead that might slough off and remain in our shooting machines and devices. Others mistakenly think that lubing might make our boolits fly on their trajectory path more accurately. I too once thought that, back in my spiritual infancy. But now I know the Truth, and it is to add to the mysticism and darkness that IS boolit casting.

And that, sir, is the true purpose of lubing boolits. To say or think otherwise would be to blaspheme against the Gods of the Silver Stream, for which you will be cursed with out-of-round bases and wrinkly noses for all of Shooting Eternity.

JohnH
01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
The purpose of lube on boolits? (I never thought of putting it in my eggs....) To create yet another variable to blame lousy groups on ;)

Shiloh
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
The purpose of lube on boolits? (I never thought of putting it in my eggs....) To create yet another variable to blame lousy groups on ;)

Say......
By gosh I think you have it!!

Shiloh

Dean D.
01-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Amen Bruthah Recluse! :cbpour: 8-)

Willbird
01-31-2009, 11:27 PM
The purpose of lube on boolits? (I never thought of putting it in my eggs....) To create yet another variable to blame lousy groups on ;) If you put 3 tablespoons of castor oil on your eggs they will be a projectile later in the day :-).

Bill

sniper7369
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Seeing as how what we do is often referred to as a combination between Black Magic and VooDoo, the purpose of lubing boolits is to further the mystique to those souless souls who continue to shoot mainly jacketed bullets, and to absolutely confound the Hell-bound heathens who only shoot factory centerfire ammunition.

In order to add to the mystique, boolit casters must spend many hours isolated in their reloading shops or rooms or garages chanting unintelligible incantations while we hover over a hodgepodge of hot plates filled with an assortment of flea-market skillets, pots and other worthy heat-proof containers.

Inside these magical containers, the unwashed amongst us will find an assortment of witch's brews ranging from old transmission fluid to beesway, Johnson's Paste Wax to Liquid Alox, carnuaba wax to lanolin, vasoline to mineral oil. To those of us who have made a pact with the Gods of the Silver Stream, and sealed it with second and third degree burns from our casting and smelting pots, the ingredients, while vital, are not as important as the ratio and amount of ingredients.

The more practiced among our secretive and mysterious ranks have begun perfecting this caulderon of smoking, fragrant fluids and now peddle them to those of us who are not quite of Merlin's magical stature. We then mortgage another segment of our soul devising original ways of applying said mystically slippery concoction to those little silver surrogate children, known as boolits, that we born from moulds made of steel, iron, brass and aluminum. Some apply the sacred concoctions by way of tumbling the precious and blessed soon-to-be projectiles. Others melt said concoction, and then stand their lovingly formed and sized boolits upright, then gently pour the mystical substance around the projectiles.

Others resort to pressure-dependent, fiendish devices that squeeze the mystical concoction through tiny holes and apply it to the bands of the boolits. No matter the method, without the proper incantations, atmosphere and proper state of spirituality, your endeavors may very well fall short.

The novices amongst us would argue that the purpose of lubing our boolits is to reduce the amount of surface lead that might slough off and remain in our shooting machines and devices. Others mistakenly think that lubing might make our boolits fly on their trajectory path more accurately. I too once thought that, back in my spiritual infancy. But now I know the Truth, and it is to add to the mysticism and darkness that IS boolit casting.

And that, sir, is the true purpose of lubing boolits. To say or think otherwise would be to blaspheme against the Gods of the Silver Stream, for which you will be cursed with out-of-round bases and wrinkly noses for all of Shooting Eternity.

That has to be THE coolest description of boolit casting I have EVER read! :drinks: :cbpour:

mag_01
02-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Lube and seal the bore

hithard
02-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Lube and seal the bore

Ha, everyone really know that you use a different color lube so you can tell what the boolits are!

wmitty
02-01-2009, 02:42 AM
I think RECLUSE has nailed it!

rhead
02-01-2009, 07:49 AM
IMO The lube on the bullet should be deposited on the inner surface of the barrel so the surface will be slick for the next bullet. The front driving band of the first bullet of a string after cleaning depends on the gun oil left tin the barrel. This is probably not the only function of the lube but it is one of them.

Bloodman14
02-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, recluse! If it's o.k. with you, I'm going to print that off, and hang it over my bench!

Lead Forever!

Bret4207
02-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Recluse and John H have it pegged. Of course you could just go with Willbirds post and just trust us, bare lead alloy needs lube of some kind.

Willbird
02-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Recluse and John H have it pegged. Of course you could just go with Willbirds post and just trust us, bare lead alloy needs lube of some kind.

People have been thinking about bullet lubricants since the bronze age I think. Some people think they are an anti-flux, some people think they help seal the bore, there are a million theories.

Bill

sundog
02-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Doesn't make any difference. It works, and I was told to do it that way. :mrgreen:

mtgrs737
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Say......
By gosh I think you have it!!

Shiloh

Dagnabbit, There goes another one of my excuses! Tell the world why don't you.

Recluse
02-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Doesn't make any difference. It works, and I was told to do it that way. :mrgreen:

Kind of how I look at it. I just use which lube I happen to have on the boolits at the time as the excuse for them flying off everywhere away from the target.

:coffee:

qajaq59
02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Recluse, thanks for starting my day off with a good laugh. :)

44man
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
All of you just make things so hard! [smilie=1:[smilie=1:
Take your gun barrel and rub a piece of aluminum on it, then do the same with a dry boolit. What do you have on the steel? What is left in your bore after jacketed bullets? (Now try to wipe it off.)
Seems to me that lube is just to keep a softer metal from rubbing off on a harder metal! A good lube prevents lead from sticking too so that any that does rub off will be cleaned out at the next shot.
Dry fouling will also cause leading so another job of lube is to soften the fouling and keep it soft.
If you can rub a soft metal on steel by hand, what happens at 30,000 to 60,000 psi?
Use the wrong lube or a lube that is gone before the boolit leaves the barrel and you might as well shoot dry boolits. :mrgreen:
As far as a seal! I depend on the boolit for that because we don't have piston rings on boolits.

Calamity Jake
02-19-2009, 09:14 AM
"we don't have piston rings on boolits. "

Even if we did, piston rings still leak!! [smilie=l: