PDA

View Full Version : Gun Type.

Beekeeper
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but didn't see anywhere else that seemed correct.
What is a 300 Whisper?
If I read the post correctly it is a silenced rifle, correct.
Now I have been away from this hobby for a long time,making a living and raising kids but correct me if i'm wrong aren't silencers illegal?
If not please tell me where I can read up on this weapon as I am interested in one!
Where I live here in Kalifornication I get in trouble with the non gun types just putting a gun in my truck to go to the range.
Actually had the LEO's come one time.
Took about 20 minutes to explain to them and show them I wasn't a terroist.

beekeeper

big boar
01-31-2009, 08:37 PM
The Whisper is made from necking up a 221 Fireball case to accept a 308 bullet. Not just any 308 but a 250gr bullet. When fired, the velocity (from a small case and heavy for diameter bullet) is below the speed of sound, about 950 fps. The bullet is not very stable in flight but this allowed it to tumble upon impact causing more wounding potetial than an expanding bullet would. It has a very "rainbow like" trajectory but at short ranges, using a rangefinder to obtain precise distances, it was suppose to be a very precise cartridge. Some of the silencing effect is from not exceeding the sound barrier, so it is not like using a silencer, making it illeagal.

44man
01-31-2009, 08:37 PM
It is a very small case that shoots a very heavy bullet slow. Makes little noise but is a lot of fun. I don't remember the case, might be a .357.

NSP64
01-31-2009, 09:16 PM
B-keeper, move out here to the midwest where gun ownership is normal.

P.S. there are plenty of houses for sale

Tom W.
01-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Silencers aren't illegal, but you have to pay a lot and jump through a bunch of hoops to possess one legally..

Beekeeper
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
I would NSP44 but just moved here from Nevada.Health reasons, wife not me (yet).
She wanted to be close to the kids and grandkids. Get here and son and daughterinlaw file for divorce so we lose her and the grandkids.
Wish we were still in Nevada.
Gun laws are a lot different there.

Bret4207
02-01-2009, 10:07 AM
The Whisper can be used in regular guns too, not just silenced. You can do the same thing with many other cartridges by using a heavy boolit and small charge of fast powder. Keep lowering the charge until you stick a boolit, then up it a couple tenths. A long barrel helps. Or, just get a rifle in 32S+W, like an old #4 RB converted to CF. Even hot loads sound like your Red Ryder!

scb
02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.quarterbore.com/300whisper/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper (check out External links on this page)