PDA

View Full Version : Spaced out on the lube

rickomatic
01-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey guys. I'm in my first year of casting and am learning a lot from you guys. Thanks a lot.
Anyway, I was looking around my bench last night and found a small handful (8) of odd .429 inch SWC plain base 260 gr. boolits in a box and decided I'd throw together a few quick practice loads for the .44 mag. I sized and primed the cases, looked up a fairly mild load...I think...(7gr Bullseye) and proceeded to load up the 8 boolits. Then I stuck them aside to shoot next time I go out to the range. Well....as I was laying in bed this morning I had a Homer Simpson "Doh!!" :groner: moment when I realized in my noobie excitement I hadn't even noticed that the boolits hadn't been lubed!! They got loaded up unlubed.
So, my question to this esteemed gathering is this. ...Is this a major screw up to load up a handful of unlubed boolits. Will it hurt to shoot these 8 rounds? Should I pull them and start over? What did you guys do as noobs when you started and didn't have this great site for reference? Thanks guys.

stubert
01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Probably easier to pull them than to clean the lead out.

GLynn41
01-31-2009, 02:30 PM
migt shoot cast or 2 and then a jhp and so forth -- I do not use Bullseye but is is seven gr a lot or not?

rickomatic
01-31-2009, 02:36 PM
I do not use Bullseye but is is seven gr a lot or not?

That load is supposed to be about 900 fps in the .44 mag.

sniper7369
01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Probably easier to pull them than to clean the lead out.

I would tend to agree with that.

Ricochet
01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Would probably work to run an oily patch through the bore before each shot.

NuJudge
01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
For a really low velocity load, one person contesting that bullet lube actually was a lube used Hoppe's #9 before each shot and wrote that it worked.

I would run an oily patch before each shot.

Tell us how it worked.

CDD