PDA

View Full Version : Cast Master Melting Pot?

seagiant
01-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi,
I've been looking at this melting pot for awhile. It's the 40lb. capacity that sits on 4 legs. Does anyone here use one of these? It looks like a nice pot and I'm looking for info on it or opinions. Thanks!

Murphy
01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Seagiant,

I had a Magma Master Caster about 15 years ago. For all intent and purpose, I don't see where any changes were made in the pot.

If you can spring for the Cast Master pot, do it and don't look back. Just wishing I hadn't gotten rid of the Master Caster now...but kept the pot.

Respectfully,

Murphy

seagiant
01-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Murphy,
Thanks for the info! I'm sitting on the fence on this one because of the price and I don't cast enough to really 'need' it but it looks like it would be fun to use.With the advent of the Internet,one nice thing is you can buy an item and use it and when you want to move on you have a way to sale it and make back some of you're investment! Thanks again!

Murphy
01-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Seagiant,

No problem Sir. Glad to be of any help if I have knowledge about something. Which is another wonderful thing about the internet. Not to mention the part about being able to sell things you could'nt' get a nickel on the dollar for if you tried selling it locally.

Respectfully,

Murphy

Beau Cassidy
01-18-2006, 08:24 AM
It will make you wonder what you did before you got it. Trust me on that one. And it doesn't leak!

Beau

HickoryCreek
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I was thinking of getting the 90lb capacity one. It's about the same price, and I'm strictly a ladle caster. so, it would work for me. Yeah, I don't need it either. But it would pretty much handle anything regardless of how big this casting hobby gets. At 40 or 90 lbs you can drum up some large uniform lots too :lovebooli

Dale53
01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Every time I think about spending "that kind of money" I look at my Turkey Cooker (or fish fryer) and realize you can buy a fish fryer at Bass Pro for a little over $50.00 complete with a cast iron 8 qt dutch oven. That'll do a LOT of metal and they are fast, also. Guess I'll still keep my cooker...

Dale53

475/480
01-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I bought the Master Pot last month after ladle casting for 5 years,I should have done it sooner.Yes it is $395.00 but worth ii.Be sure to raise the level of the pot to about eye level,a LOT easier on the back.I mounted the pot on a bench.I like the temp control and be sure to get the dual spout if you use 2 and 4 cavity moulds.

If you can afford it BUY IT.

Sean

nighthunter
01-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have a web address for the cast master pot? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Nighthunter

seagiant
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Try this:http://www.magmaengr.com/item.php?id=4

Beau Cassidy
01-19-2006, 12:34 PM
When making your decision on the 40 lb'er. or 90 lb'er, remember, the 90 is a 220v pot. That's why I didn't get one.

Beau

HickoryCreek
01-19-2006, 01:02 PM
When making your decision on the 40 lb'er. or 90 lb'er, remember, the 90 is a 220v pot. That's why I didn't get one.

Beau

Yeah, I know. That is one downside, but I think I will be able to work with it.

felix
01-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Running pots or anything else running that kind of amperage over any length of time, take into consideration the length of wire from the outside meter. If you are going to use this pot for some time, like over several years, then increase the wire diameter, 110 or 220, at least from the breaker to the pot. I use 10 awg wire with a seperate fuse box, connected directly into the outside meter. The longer the wire is, the more dollars you are going to loose, so the bigger diameter wire compensates dramatically. ... felix

carpetman
01-19-2006, 02:57 PM
You are better off with the 220. Contrary to what many people think,higher voltage allows smaller wires. That is why automobiles went from 6volts to 12 volts for you folks old enough to remember that. As more and more electrical gadgets were added to cars,the price of copper wire had became a huge expense. Wattage is amps times volts. So if you had a 72 watt headlight at 6 volts it required 12 amps. But at 12 volts only 6 amps. Amps being what determines wire size when it was cut in half,wire size required was not cut in half but cut into fourth. Look at the size of 6 volt battery cables compared to 12 volt ones.

wills
01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
You are better off with the 220. Contrary to what many people think,higher voltage allows smaller wires. That is why automobiles went from 6volts to 12 volts for you folks old enough to remember that. As more and more electrical gadgets were added to cars,the price of copper wire had became a huge expense. Wattage is amps times volts. So if you had a 72 watt headlight at 6 volts it required 12 amps. But at 12 volts only 6 amps. Amps being what determines wire size when it was cut in half,wire size required was not cut in half but cut into fourth. Look at the size of 6 volt battery cables compared to 12 volt ones.

I bet you figure the gas mileage on that little truck in furlongs per hogshead [smilie=l:

felix
01-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Yep, Ray, you are indeed dollar wise. Car wires that carry the amps are typically short. If the wire gets even warm, then it is too small for our purposes here. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
you are both right. Im a lineman and the reason we can run so much current through such small wires is that the voltage is stepped up. But you still need to take into consideration the lenght of the wire when figureing what size wire you need. The longer the wire the more resistance. The smaller the wire the more resistance. It never hurts and allways helps to go a wire size or two bigger then what you need. Personally i couldnt see wiring a garage with less then #10 wire even if you dont need it. You never know what kind of load you will run later. Hell theres days where i have 3 or 4 pots going at the same time

waksupi
01-19-2006, 09:59 PM

Listen to Carpetman, he is really up on this stuff. He started studying it, when he found out the wires around the sheep pen were electrified.

454PB
01-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Lloyd is right, however the #10 wire costs 3 times as much as #12. When I built and wired my shop/reloading/casting room, I found it was more cost effective to install a lot of breakers and circuits, rather than large wire and breakers. A 220 volt, 20 amp breaker with #12 wire will produce 4000 watts of heat with no problem if the distance is less than 50' or so.