PDA

View Full Version : Scored a little lead today

Ted
01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
During lunch I went up to the Recyclers and asked if they had any lead (This is the 3rd batch I have bought there, they know me), they allowed as that they had a little and I could go take a look.

Well I ended up buying 190lbs for 10cents a pound. The last batch I bought there had 70+- lbs of mixed type metal. This batch had some roofing lead (I assume that is what it is) some home cast sinkers (lead balls about 1 to 1.5" in dia) and two large lead castings that look like the two of them were intended to be bolted together to surround a shaft or axle of some sort.

The only markings on them (cast in) are

TS . ONARHEIM
ANTI SKID
BOX 291 ETNA CALIF.

A couple of photos are attached.

Any idea what this is? I just ordered a CabineTree Lead Hardness Tester so when it comes in I'll give these a test until then all I'll say is that they seem soft.

Ted

Buckshot
01-31-2009, 04:04 AM
................At 10 cents a pound it was a steal! I'd stay on their good side!

................Buckshot

imashooter2
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Fork lift weights? The shape reminds me of the aft end of one...

Ted
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
................At 10 cents a pound it was a steal! I'd stay on their good side!

................Buckshot

This is my third buy from them. The last one was 300+ pounds mixed. 70-80lbs of type (mixed Lino/Mono), some soft roofing lead and the rest unknown.

I'll keep stopping buy once a month or so but they told me that they are buying almost NO metals anymore (other then Alum cans). Seems that the state of Kominafornia in its wisdom has decreed that for them to buy metals they need the sellers ID and have a three day wait before they can give the seller his money. This little bit they had was given to them.

I have the word out to a AT&T man I know who will be keeping his eyes open for any old phone company lead.

Other then that I hit a couple / three tire shops and buy WW's for smelting and casting.

jdgabbard
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I thought lead boolits were completely outlaw'd in the "Communist State of Fornia?" I like your rebel attitude. Move to oklahoma to help with our plan of causing the state to float out into the ocean where it will eventually sink to the bottom.

buck1
02-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Fork lift weights? The shape reminds me of the aft end of one...

Thats what I am thinkikg. I bet is close to pure lead(hard to find if it is).
If it is pure lead you may concider a trade for WW from a muzzle loader shooter and you both would do well.

Bill*
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Quote "Originally Posted by imashooter2
Fork lift weights? The shape reminds me of the aft end of one..."
The words "ANTI SKID" on them makes me think that too, as I've worked on Bobcat loaders and they are commonly referred to as "skid steers"

Gunslinger
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
That's a nice score. I too scored last friday... somewhere between 250 and 300 lbs of WWs. I'm picking it up sometime this week. I looks like it contains a lot of zinc weights... but for $0.10/lbs I'm not going to complain :-D