PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question...

DrNick
01-30-2009, 10:44 PM
So.....I have a Lyman 311241 that casts nice plain base boolits...and I want to paper patch them. Here is the silly part: I know to size the boolit first then wrap then size again but di I fill the grooves with lube and pathc over or do I just lube the bollit enough to size it and then paper patch?

Help me o masters of the craft! :)

DrNick

docone31
01-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I presume you are patching for .30.
I use dish soap to act as a lube for sizing. Size it, probably to .308, then rinse off the dish soap.
Wrap, let dry, snip the tail, wipe some JPW, or I also use car wax, just a dusting to size the patch, not act as lube!.
With two wraps of notebook paper, you will probably get between .314-.317, if it is or .30cal, size it to .309 and have a ball!
Good luck and let us know.

NSP64
01-30-2009, 10:51 PM
I have been having good results patching then sizing to .001 over bore size. The slug that is. optimum will be the patch.001 over groove, the slug .001 over bore size.

montana_charlie
01-31-2009, 01:03 PM
do I fill the grooves with lube and patch over
No...

pdawg_shooter
02-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Patch over a clean bullet. You do not want the patch sticking to the bullet after it leaves the muzzle. If it does you will have NO accuracy!

Crash_Corrigan
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
OK clean boolit, no lube prior to patching. How about the 311284...does it need the GC or with PP the need is diminished?

I can certainly live with out having to buy and use GC's. As I plan to be shoot at velocities below 1900 FPS can I get away without using one and just PP?

I know...stupid newbie questions but before I throw my hat across the fence I would like as much info as possible.

Dan

docone31
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Crash, Size them, then wrap them. No gas check needed for paper patching. As a matter of fact, I use gas check molds to paper patch.
Again, no check.

P Patcher
02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
OK clean boolit, no lube prior to patching. How about the 311284...does it need the GC or with PP the need is diminished?

I can certainly live with out having to buy and use GC's. As I plan to be shoot at velocities below 1900 FPS can I get away without using one and just PP?

I know...stupid newbie questions but before I throw my hat across the fence I would like as much info as possible.

Dan

No lube and size to a diameter that will give you .001 over groove with two wrap's of your paper. This advice is of course for smokeless loading.
Must you use a gas check on the 311284? Nope! You can wrap it without one and it may shoot just fine and it may not, I can't sit here behind this screen and tell you what your gun is going to shoot well. I don't pp for 303 brit but I can tell that my years of experiance has shown me that most paper patched gas check bullet's shoot better when the check has been applied. Your gun will tell you what it like's. It's great to get advice from other's that have been there before you but but the bottom line is you have to put in the time and find out what work's best for you and your gun, it's not that hard.
Paper patching is a wheel that's already been invented, it does not have to be complicated. It's great to know how to do it and it add's a little nostalgia to our shooting and sometimes help's get a troublesome gun to shoot well, but most of us really don't need it. Don't get me wrong here folk's, I'm glad to see so much interest, just don't make it hard. Get yourself a copy of The Paper Jacket by Paul Matthews and don't look back. I know this book will do more for you than SOME of the redundant replys you will recieve here. Once again no offense intended.
Addison