PDA

View Full Version : They're still out there!

zardoz
01-30-2009, 09:48 PM
So today, after work (still have a job, after the layoffs the last few months!), I got the urge to scrounge for wheelweights. I read the stories of the finds on this forum, and wonder if I would get so lucky. So the few buckets I have found, have been hard won, bit by bit.

Half a bucket there, a full one here. Bit by bit.

The first stop was at a major tire center north of town, outside the city limits. I was told they might have a gold mine there. So I walk in, and the desk clerk says, "Nope! We give all ours back to the company we buy them from. " He had a finality in his tone, that suggested I should look elsewhere.

So, a bit discouraged, I drove back to town. A stop at the post office was in order, but then I remembered a local shop I had an alignment done at a couple years ago. It was on a side street, but I figured, what the heck, worth a shot.

I walked in, and asked the desk clerk, "Would you have any used wheelweights you would like to sell?" (I figured by offering money, my chances improve a bit on a good response).

His eyes lit up, and he says, "Follow me!" We walk back into the shop, through the door that says, "NO CUSTOMERS ALLOWED", and back through the service area to a dark corner. My heart lept. Six overflowing 5 gallon buckets full. He asks, "How many do you want, and what do you think they're worth?" I said, "I've been giving $20 for a full bucket lately. I'll take two for now."

I offered my two empty buckets to replace the full ones, and they were very appreciative of my courtesy. They said, "That makes this good for us, when you bring us empties to replace what you take."

He says, "Back your truck all the way in, and we'll load them up for you". By this time, I was reeling from the good luck. Sometimes it just happens.

As I was leaving, he said, "We used to have a guy come in and buy these, but he had not been by in a long time you can see."

So I asked, "OK if I come back in next week for the rest?" He says, "Please do! We'll be glad to load them up for you!"

I just had to share this with the group here. I never figured before I became a bullet caster, that buckets of wheelweights would have me feeling this way. Only you folks here would understand.

:-D :drinks: :Fire:

randyrat
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm glad you found a supply. That seems to be the way it goes. OMG they were even happy to load them for you. Now you need to thank God.

z4lunch
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Steve here... thats great news...
I have a local guy that hooks me up too...

jdgabbard
01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I've got one guy that will sell to me. And he doesn't do many tires anymore. I envy your success.

briang
01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
When you go back, bring donuts. Lots of donuts, you lucky son of a gun.