PDA

View Full Version : Arsenic in Alloys Article Posted on castpics

wiljen
01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/arsenic.htm

Willbird
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
That is pretty interesting. Did the sulfur stink to high heaven ??

Bill

wiljen
01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
That is pretty interesting. Did the sulfur stink to high heaven ??

Bill

Yes, not something I would do indoors.

Blammer
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
good read!

written so the layman can understand it! I liked it.

now I know arsenic is not a catalystist, it's a molecule grinder or something like that... :)

Ricochet
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Good work, Wiljen!

sniper7369
01-31-2009, 04:30 PM
That was very interesting. :drinks:
I'm wondering though, according to that article water dropping pure pb would have absolutely no effect on the hardness of the finished boolit, correct?

waksupi
01-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Good article, Will. I recall, the data I had on refining lead, stated that there was always a trace of arsenic in any lead, as it was naturally occurring in the deposit. Of course that info is quite dated, and there may be a process to get absolute Pb by now.
It makes me wonder if something like aluminum oxide would work, due to it's small structure. I imagine some additives would be limited by their specific gravity, and difficulty in fluxing them into a workable alloy.

felix
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Right, Ric, molecular attraction must be greater than gravitational force to make an alloy. Some expensive drugs are made this way, and experiments are taking place in outer space to manufacture some others. One good reason for a space station, and perhaps the only one as far as I can agree with right now. ... felix

wiljen
01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
That was very interesting. :drinks:
I'm wondering though, according to that article water dropping pure pb would have absolutely no effect on the hardness of the finished boolit, correct?

Correct - water dropping pure lead has no noticeable impact on its BHN.

sniper7369
01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Correct - water dropping pure lead has no noticeable impact on its BHN.

Thanks, I'd been wondering about that.

Ricochet
01-31-2009, 08:07 PM
It's negligible for our purposes, but not zero. Somewhere in my old Metals Handbook I ran across some hardness and strength numbers that were a little higher for chilled "pure" (by our standards) lead. And I've got a bunch of scrap of mixed sources and unknown composition that's fingernail soft like pure lead, but hardens up about like air cooled wheelweights when chilled and aged. Just a little bit of alloy can make a big difference. Most wheelweights recently have been around 2% antimony, I believe. When I use wheelweights, I mix them with 3 or 4 parts of pure lead or soft scrap and chill them. They come out plenty hard for my purposes.

sundog
02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
So, we have sulphur in the mix. What does that do to any surfaces with which it comes into contact? Like rusting or ...? We know that zinc can screw things up, like pots and moulds.

I'd really hate to screw up a good mould.

Tom Herman
02-22-2009, 01:20 PM
It makes me wonder if something like aluminum oxide would work, due to it's small structure.

Hi Waksupi,

I don't want Aluminum Oxide anywhere near an alloy! Remember that this is the chemical that Rubies, Sapphire, and other Corundum minerals are made of. It's hardness is just under that of diamond. Steel is MUCH softer than it!
I occasionally use a very fine Al2O3 abrasive as a final polish on Agates that I tumble.
I would expect an alloy with Al2O3 to have an initial polishing action, followed by eventual erosion.
Just my two cents worth...

Happy Shootin'! Tom

sundog
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Can anyone venture a guess on what the sulfur alloy is going to do to the surfaces it touches.