PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Lube on Non "TL" Named Designs?

Ugly Dwarf
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I did some searching and found posts that alluded to this, but I wanted to confirm.

For those of you who use LLA and tumble lube, have you found that this works as well for boolits out of non "TL" molds?

At this point in my casting, I don't plan to buy lubing specific equipment nor start pan lubing. That said, there are a number of molds / designs out there that I'd like to try.

Just wondering if you can give me any feedback on this.

Thanks,

Dwarf

DanWalker
01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Here's what I've been doing for the last year with ALL my boolits.
I use a mix of about 50/50 johnsons paste wax(5.67 a can at home depot)
and LLA. I thin the LLA with mineral spirits to about half it's normal consistency.
I put my boolits in an old skillet i got at a yard sale for a buck, and stick them in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes or so.
I take skillet out of oven and drizzle on about a 1/2 teaspoon of LLA and roughly an equal amount of JPW over the top of the skillet full of boolits. I agitate them just like tumble lubing and then pour them out on a paper plate to dry. The hot boolits hold the lube better and dry faster too. I can load boolits lubed like this in about 2 hours after lubing.
I've pushed this combo lube to 2000fps in my 7mm08 with no leading or accuracy issues.
I actually sold my lubrisizer after trying this technique with great success.

jdgabbard
01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
There are a number of members who have used the LLA on traditional designs. And from what I gather have had good success. I find myself in position similar to yours. I find designs that I would like to try out, however, I do not have a lubrisizer. That said, I will say that I tend to find myself partial to the idea of traditional lubing. And tend to go ahead and pan lube the traditional designs, and and starting to try pan lubing the TL designs now as well.

Bret4207
01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Mule Snot works on non-TL for me up to at least 14-1500 fps in 30 cal or larger. The smaller or hotter stuff I haven't tried yet.

Newtire
01-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Yup Dwarf,

Use LLA and push em as hard as you want in my experience. Just gotta put up with the smoke...I kind of like it! People look over at you at the shootin range real funny like.

Dan Cash
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
How do you deal with gas checks if you don't use a sizer?

z4lunch
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Steve here... I use lee tumble lube on all my Lee TL and Lyman non TL boolits...It works like a dream... but I am only loading light target loads
Steven

DanWalker
01-31-2009, 02:38 AM

LEE push through sizing dies do the job for me.

georgeld
01-31-2009, 03:34 AM
I've been using LA for 15 plus yrs without a problem other than running out of it now and then. Am needing to buy a case of it now.

Have a K 38 with well over 5000 rnds of LA'd cast SWC's thru it and not cleaned the bore yet. Now and then when the outside gets too nasty I'll wipe it down but, don't run a patch thru it and the bore is polished out slick as a brand new cars paint job. No sign of leading.

Trick about leading I've found. Bore has to be smooth or it'll lead no matter what.
Don't think you'll regret using it, I sure don't and never had a lubrisizer. I keep the vel's under 1500fps. but, that's solely because I don't want/need a hot load. A colt at 12-1300fps is all I want to hold when it fires.

looseprojectile
01-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I do it like Dan do.
With a small difference. Use an industrial heat gun and heat to apply LA and let them cool.
Then heat again and apply the wax. Let them cool and load. Makes no difference what kind of lube grooves or alloy. I use Lee sizers to seat checks and size the too large boolits.
I have been trying to cast softer boolits and have not been able to get them too soft yet. Have not been able to get the LA too thin either.
Works in the 20 inch 30 30 and two levers in .357 and .44mag. NO LEADING.
Life is good

Bret4207
01-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Either a Lee Sizer (prefered) or snap the checks on by hand or mallet. I have tried super gluing them as someone here suggested, it seemed to work but it wasn't any great way to do it. I have used a handy sized nut or socket to sort of crimp the check on. I've also tried to use a drill chuck to crimp them, didn't work for me. Thus, the Lee system.