PDA

View Full Version : Getting more crimp with 310 tool

wtr100
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
loading 45 ACP / Auto Rim and the roll crimp doesn't seem tight enough - instructions said a quarter turn on the sizing body to roll crimp - maybe another 1/4 - 1/2 turn?

KCSO
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
You really don't want a heavy roll crimp with 45 ACP unless you are shooting with moons. Do the bullets move when pressed or when fired? If not you have enough crimp. My 310 crimps just right at 1/2 turn.

woody1
01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Are you crimping into a cannelure? If not, you may be making the bullet looser (is that a word?) by attempting to crimp. Regards, Woody

mikenbarb
01-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I thought you can only lightly taper crimp .45acp's because they headspace on the rim? Im asking because Im not too familiar with this cartridge because I dont own one(But will some day).

Le Loup Solitaire
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
The 45 ACP, as stated, headspaces on the mouth rim in the autos and if a roll crimp is used the cartridge may seat deeper and not allow the firing pin to fully strike the primer. In a revolver the use of half-moon clips will prevent this....so a roll type of crimp would work. What is best is a slight taper crimp which kind of cluster squeezes the mouth against the bullet rather than rolling/turning the mouth itself inward(into a groove). A 310 die should be able to do this. An auto rim case doesn't need moonies to start with. The 310 die has the little crimping shoulder that when activated too far will roll crimp, so go slow and easy to avoid that happening. I too like my 310's to do everything right, but sometimes...in fact usually, "one can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", so a real live taper crimp die in a Lee handtool does the job. I set mine (with the help of a mike) to put a tc on the cases of .471" and once that is firmly set you can do hundreds or more seated in a chair without looking, while your attention is elsewhere. LLS

TAWILDCATT
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
where do you guy get that false information.
It applys to jacketed bullets but lead bullets are different.the expander for jacket is smaller than for lead.I load SWC with front band out about a 1/16 and crimp on it.the bullet hits the lead and forces the base against the slide.compitition shooters use this method.my 1911 never fails to feed and has given me many trophys.:coffee: [smilie=1: