PDA

View Full Version : Need Holster Help

Bigscot
01-30-2009, 12:05 PM
I recently purchased a RSB with 5.5" barrel and am looking for a holster. I am not nesesarily looking for a concealed carry holster (although that may happen) but one for carrying while hunting or out and about in the woods and getting in and out of the truck. I am trying to decide on either a cross draw or high ride. I am a pretty large fellow so I don't which one would work better.
I would also like any holster manufacturer reccommendations.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bigscot

fourarmed
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I'll take a stab at this. My body shape makes it pretty tough to keep a belt up with a pistol attached to it. I am often hitching by pants up with nothing heavier on the belt than a Leatherman. Riding in a vehicle, getting in and out, doesn't make it any better. I can sort of get by with my Chief's in an IWB behind the hip on the strong side, but if I carry my M57 or my RBH, I get along much better with an ordinary open-top, snap strap holster on a belt slung diagonally across by torso so the gun hangs under my left arm. With a careful choice of the belt used, it works pretty well.

Springfield
01-30-2009, 12:54 PM
If you are heavy set a high rise can dig in pretty good, but if you get a lower holster it is always poking the truck seat. At least that was my experience back when I had to carry for a living. A cross draw can be more comfortable but it might poke you when sitting too. It's difficult to get a holster that works well while sitting, in general. When you decide which way you want to go I should be able to make what you want. You can see some of my work at www.whyteleatherworks.com

Bigscot
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
One other thing, when I am not at work and it's not too hot I usually where overalls so no beltloops. I have worn an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster with my 9.5" barrel SRH. I can hook either end where the sides of the overalls button.

Bigscot

FN in MT
01-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Take a look at the TANKER style shoulder holster over on the El Paso Saddlery site. THAT style works very well in a vehicle , ATV, snowmachine, aircraft, etc. One can even shoot a rifle easily or crawl though brush without hanging UP.

Von Ringler Leather in IIRC Wyoming does a similar design but I prefer the EPS as it seems to fit better as well as adapt to heavy clothing. And theres also a company in Idaho I think who does a similar rig in far cheaper cordura. But I can't comment on their product as I've never tried them.

I carry a FA M-97 a 4" .44 Spcl quite a bit in an EPS Tom Threepersons. A comfortable out of the way sort of affair. Then again at 6-3 and 200#'s I'm not overly large.

With the EPS Tanker rig I can carry a 6" 629 Smith ALL DAY long without really being uncomfortable.

Barrel length tends to be THE determining factor when in a vehicle. Four inches is about max...at least for me.

Good Luck,

FN in MT

cajun shooter
01-31-2009, 01:12 PM
As a former police officer that carried all the time I found two holster styles that I prefer. One being a shoulder rig. Find one with large straps as the small skinny ones dig in. The next is a strong side clip on style. I carried this while working narcotics. It can be removed and put on the seat if you want. Mine was a slight forward cant that worked while seated and driving. Holsters are like ice cream flavors, one does not work for all.