PDA

View Full Version : older redfield scope???

jhalcott
01-30-2009, 03:01 AM
I have an older redfield 20x scope. It has target type turrets and an adjustable objective bell. It is a 1" tube and the X is a fine wire. It is just shy of 24" long. The objective bell is 2"in dia and marked out to 200 yards , then there is an infinity sign (a lazy 8). The bell has 0 to 25 yardage ticks around it. It has screw in dust covers on each end. Is this a 3200 or a 6400 scope and what is the difference? I was told the 3200 is for rimfire and the 6400 is for center fire guns.

Wayne Smith
01-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Just a guess, but with the parallex adjustment I would guess you have the .22 scope.

jhalcott
01-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Why wouldn't the CF model have parralax adjustment? I really do not know , so you may be correct!

Wayne Smith
01-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Typically RF's are shot at short ranges where parallex is a problem. CF's are typically shot at 100yds where parallex is close to infinity. Thus you would want a RF scope that can be adjusted to 15yds., 25yds, or whatever you are shooting.

Frank46
01-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Well I may be sticking my foot in the mouth but here goes. Never knew the redfield was for 22 rimfires only. Have seen them used on centerfire calibers ranging from 223, 308, 30-06 and 45/70. Not to dispute what anyone has already said. I bought mine about 15 years ago and while some say its not the same as a supertargetspot
or unertl (have owned all three) I find it way easier to see through its 1" tube that a
lyman sts. With the lyman the rubber sheild is pushed back till the widest part is almost flush with the rear eye piece. Same for my junior ts. Was a big idiot for ever selling my unertl programmer many years ago. With the redfield its just see and shoot. Frank

supv26
01-30-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't know anything about Redfield scopes except they are VERY strong!!
I work in law enforcement and years ago we used to have to unassemble weapons that were ordered to be destroyed to separate the metals so they could be melted down. Yea I know, I have almost cried a time or two while doing this assignment.

Anyway, I was "destroying" a Redfield scope once and I could not break the objective lense with a ball pean hammer! I smacked it so hard that it broke the tube before it broke the glass!

Some parts of the job really suck sometimes!

Heavy lead
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know anything about Redfield scopes except they are VERY strong!!
I work in law enforcement and years ago we used to have to unassemble weapons that were ordered to be destroyed to separate the metals so they could be melted down. Yea I know, I have almost cried a time or two while doing this assignment.

Anyway, I was "destroying" a Redfield scope once and I could not break the objective lense with a ball pean hammer! I smacked it so hard that it broke the tube before it broke the glass!

Some parts of the job really suck sometimes!

No wonder this country is broke. We deserve the bad Karma we get by allowing this type of thing to happen.
Talk about wastefull gluteny.

monadnock#5
01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
My Unertl scope is adjustable for 50' rimfire shooting, and outdoor 100yds+.

Tack a plain white sheet of to the wall at 50', and adjust the paralax until the crosshairs are sharply defined. If you can do that, your scope is very .22 compatible.

Hip's Ax
01-30-2009, 11:41 PM
At 24" long what you have there is a Redfield 3200. These are my favorite .22 smallbore target scope, I have nine of them and have been using them on my prone guns for years. In my opinion they are the finest target scopes ever made. They indeed were used on both rimfires and centerfires but centerfire target matches have limited use of the scope while NRA rimfire matches are half and half.

The 6400 was a shorter receiver mounted scope and never became as popular as the 3200's although they are still seen at matches.

The Redfield's of that day (they quit making the 3200's in the 70's) have the finest glass and best repeatability that ever existed, in my opinion.

I use Leupold's on my long range centerfire prone guns. Reason being that 3200 eventually break the erector and can no longer be repaired, thats why I have nine of them, so I don't run out for my rimfire prone guns.

I also have Unertl's, Lyman's and Litschert's and the glass in those scopes is no where near the clairity.

BTW, smallbore (rimfire) outdoor prone matches are conducted at 50 yds, 50 meters and 100 yards and you can still find the occasional 200 yard rimfire match although the NRA no longer issues classisifcations or keeps records on 200 yard matches.

Hip's Ax
01-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Here's a picture of my Ray Morgan prone rimfire match rifle with a Redfield 3200. This one is a 20X with a medium crosshair and no dot. This coming year I'm going to switch to my 24X medium cross hair scopes, I think the extra power helps at 100 yards.

felix
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
I had a 6400 and a 3200, both used on BR guns. The 3200 is a far superior scope in terms of the light path. The 6400 has a lot more eye fatigue. I went to the Leupold 24X with dot at the end of my BR days, for the same reason you are. ... felix

felix
01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
monadnock, the crosshair focus is adjusted by moving the lens at exit, closest to you eye. Focusing the ocular lens does the parallax and should not move the focus of the crosshairs. When the crosshairs do not move against the target when the eye moves back and forth is what you are looking for. ... felix

monadnock#5
01-31-2009, 01:31 AM
Thank you felix, I defer to your knowledge and experience. :)

jhalcott
01-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Thank you Hipsax. That picture looks just like MY scope ,BUT the gun I have it on is an H&R 360 Ultra in 6mm remington. I have used it to shoot many ground hogs and a few deer at ranges beyond 300 yards (deer) . Ground hogs at 4 to 500 yards and further.
thank you all for the help. I got this scope around 1975 (I think!).

Hip's Ax
01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Hold on to it. That scope is worth $450 shooter to shooter and a bit higher on EPay.

supv26
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
No wonder this country is broke. We deserve the bad Karma we get by allowing this type of thing to happen.
Talk about wastefull gluteny.

Heavy lead, these were firearms used in serious crimes and ordered destroyed by a judge. We have no control over what happens to them because 'we the people' elected this person to his job and this is what he ordered. Unknown to a lot of people and probably including you, there are a LOT of firearms destroyed because of crimes. And, like I said in my post, some parts of the job suck. I hate it as much as anyone on this forum but when the boss says you do a job, you do the job!
:drinks:

GOPHER SLAYER
02-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I had a 3200 for some time and I agree with all that has been said about the scopes clarity. I finally sold it because the mountig system was just not as realiable as the Lymans and Unertls that I own. It would even shoot loose on .22 rimfire rifles. I could never figure out what Redfield had in mind when they desinged the mounts.There is another scope that deserves honorable mention and that is the Remington 20XBR.I think they are among the best ever.I think they were made by Unertl. They were desinged to be mounted on Rem. 700 series rifles.They do have one flaw however. They have very little eye relief. This limits them to very light recoiling rifles.