PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about lead

Kawfeegod
01-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I decided to take the plunge into casting my on boolits. The gun takers and the ecomomy are the main reasons. I have my molds on the way as well as my furnace. My questiosn are in regards to lead. I have access to about 400lbs of the isotope container lead and about another 75lbs of linotype. I have heard the iso lead is as good or better than WW. I know I should pick up the linotype, just not sure why I need it yet. Any suggestions.

bbs70
01-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't know anything about isotope lead.
But as far as linotype, I would latch onto it as soon as I could afford it.
Not much of it out there from what I've been told.
Just my.02 cents

Dean D.
01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm not sure exactly what "Isotope Lead" is either but if it is for shielding I would venture to guess it is really close, if not pure, lead. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

If it IS pure lead then you will need to alloy (mix) it with some tin for descent bullet material. If you look around here you will find various mixtures for various uses.

Good luck and welcome to a fun hobby!

454PB
01-30-2009, 01:25 AM
First, welcome to the brotherhood of the silver stream!

The isotope containers I have used are identical to WW alloy in both castability and hardness.

Linotype is hard to find, and extremely useful for strengthening softer alloys. Better grab it while you can. Our new sponsor, Rotometals charges $3 per pound for linotype.

Dean D.
01-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Learn somethin new every day, thanks 454PB! Now I gotta keep an eye out for some of that isotope stuff.

Kawfeegod
01-30-2009, 03:03 AM
The isotope lead is the stuff used to trasnport the radioactive medicines that the hospitals used. I live in a big-ish city so the WW scene is not so good. Most places exchange pound for pound for new weights. Well, I hope you guys are sitting down, I can get this linotype for .50/lb Was not sure that it was a good deal, but now I will be going there tomarrow and getting all I can afford. Thanks for the information and I am sure that I will be asking many questions in the weeks to come.

clintsfolly
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
yes that a good deal. you use the lino to harden up pure. i have found isotope lead in both pure and about WW. get what you can and have fun clint

454PB
01-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's a picture of the isotope containers I use. They weigh 11 pounds.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1278&d=1144720231

Kawfeegod
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Went back today and picked up some more lead and the lino. They almost sold it to someone else. He said that he had 500lbs of it and saved me 50. I left my card and asked if he would call me next time he got some lino, ww or isotope lead in and he said that he would. I will keep you all posted

2TN Mules
01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
The lead from the hospital is used to shield small amounts of radioactive isotopes during shipment. Some of it is almost pure lead while other may be a good mix for casting as is. I use this as my lead source. My mix as cast tests out at a hardness of 13.4 to 14.6 BHN. The alloy is easy to tell from the purer lead as it has more of a shine. The more pure lead is dull grey. This is one of the best and most unknown sources of clean lead. Some places give it away and other places sell it.

Note: Be sure that your supplier has defaced or removed any radioactive stickers on the lead. If this isn't done before transporting and someone sees the sticker it opens up a whole can of worms you'd rather not be involved in.

Kawfeegod
01-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I left my card at the scrap dealer to call when more came in, also have a nuke pharmacy here in town that I am going to pay a visit to. See if I can "help" them out. It does look like some of it is the duller stuff, but most is shiny. I will smelt each separate.