PDA

View Full Version : Windage adjustable rear sight for...

MontanaS
01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
...a 62 Richmond. Is there one out there that is designed to fit in the same slot that holds the flip up rear sights? This rifle is accurate but shoots several inches to the right.

missionary5155
01-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Good morning
I have a Zouve 58 with basicly the same rear sight. Mine also shot to one side. I removed the factory rear sight and made my own rear sight. I doved tailed the front portion of the slot down low not all the way to the top of the origonal slot. I made my new sight with just the front side dovetailed to match my partial dovetailed slot. As my rifle is now just a hunter I made my rear sight tapered to the top with a peep hole sighted for 75 yards with my round ball load of 85 grains. When I put the factory sight on the base covers the dovetail but the top of the dovetail I left enough material to still grip the factory base. And with the through bolt it tightens down just fine. Seems it took me about as long to find an appropriate chunk of metal as it did to cut, file, drill ... No regrets on that little job.
Mike God Bless you.

Junior asked for some further explanations so here it is in visual form. [smilie=2:

Junior1942
01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Missionary, can you explain that a little better?

59sharps
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
go to S & S firearms they sell L leafts that N-SSA skirmishers Including myself use
they are blank so you can drill a peep sight or cut a V which ever you like.
most of these guns shoot hi at 50 yrds so you may need to raise the front sight if you can not get the back sight low enough

MontanaS
01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I had made one myself a few years ago out of an L bracket. Cut the notch for 100 yds. I suppose I should have asked if there were any windage and elevation sights that would fit being as how I would like to shoot out to 2 and 300 yds. If not I suppose I can manufacture more L brackets for each distance. Wouldn't take to long to remove and replace.

missionary5155
02-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Good morning
A question was asked about my Zouave windage sight so here is a scetch...
The upper view is the origonal sight slot side view.
Next lower view is the Modified slot again side view of material removed.
Next lower is rear and side view of New sight. It was made to have a SNUG fit in the channel. I drilled and tapped a hole for a screw to lock the sight in the channel so it could not be bumped moved.
Mike

Junior1942
02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Mike!

Baron von Trollwhack
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
If you are talking about a Richmond carbine or rifle, current Competitive shooters in N-SSA, typically use a front sight dovetailed into the barrel, of the correct shape and profile, except for a taller, thicker blade, to allow for windage. Once found to be in zero, the base is soft soldered to the barrel. These sights are available from a number of smiths and parts vendors at N-SSA.org. BvT