PDA

View Full Version : rifle question

hoss-noogy
01-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Gentelmen,
I have been casting for a few months now but it has been for pistol . I have a couple of questions to ask as i ordered my first rifle mould today.

1. On a rifle case, dont the case mouth need to belled as to not shave lead off of the bollit. How is this done?

2. I have some 357 boolits cast using the lyman keith style,weight is 170 grains, sized to 358. I have a T/C encore in 35 whelen (legal muzzleloader in ms.) Can I shoot the above boolits in this rifle? I dont really want to hotrod these much as this is not a gas checked boolit . If anyone shoots this combo would you recomend a load

garandsrus
01-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Hoss,

1) Yes. Either a Lyman "M" die or a Lee Universal Expander die. The Lyman is probably "better" but the Lee works fine also and can be used for multiple calibers.

2) Yes, you can shoot the 357 boolits in a .35 Whelen. I don't have that caliber, so I can't comment on load data. The Lyman Cast Bullet manual probably has loading data. The RCBS 35-200 would also be a great boolit for that rifle.

John

runfiverun
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
if you have a set of 357 pistol dies they come with one, and you can back these waaay out of your press and "feel" your rifle cases flairing [at least i can with my 358 win brass]

fourarmed
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Both the above suggestions are good. While you are waiting for the brown truck to bring yours, you'll find that a good chamfering works almost as well.

Boerrancher
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I use the Lee Universal expander sometimes, and sometimes I just give the case mouth a good chamfering. I am sure the Lyman M die is probably a better system, but it is cal specific, so I use the Lee which is not.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

gerrycan
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Hoss Hi, manually turn case mouth onto needle-nose pliers ,this will save from bullet shave.Cheers Gerrycan( in Australia).

hydraulic
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Get a .50 Browning Machine Gun bullet. Set the boat tail end in the case and give it a tap with a hammer.