PDA

View Full Version : wits end

hpdrifter
01-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I've tried about all I could so far. I've tried 8-900 fps with soft lead and ww with various lubs; some concoctions from here or close, some Blue Angel? and Liquid Alox; tried 1000-1200 fps with same and hard cast. I've had my throats reamed to .4525 and the bore is .451 of my Ruger. I cannot get this Ruger to shoot without leading up. I'm gonna take it back to gunsmith and get the forcing cone "Taylored" I guess.

Just bought a LSI 45 Colt PUma(92) and shooting 18 grains of 2400, I'd guess 1450 or so fps. I haven't broke me chrono out yet for it. WW's should be about right for this velocity shouldn't it? Well, this thang leads up something terrible too. Using Liquid Alox.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

Pilgrim
01-15-2006, 08:04 PM
You have indicated you have done the chamber mods recommended for your Ruger, but what powder and bullet are you using and just where is the leading? If it is in the throat or forcing cone, I suspect that your bullets are undersize. If the leading is down the barrel towards the muzzle, then you likely have inadequate lube or not enough of it. Anyway, give us a bit more information and perhaps we can help you. If the leading is down the barrel, you might also have "pinching" of the barrel at the barrel frame junction that is quite severe. If it is swaging the bullets down, then you might be getting gas cutting regardless of the alloy, lube, etc. FWIW...Pilgrim

hpdrifter
01-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Using home cast 255 gn SWC from Lee mold. 2lube grooves, come out .4527 and I opened up a .452 Lee sizer to just barely kiss about 80% of the boolit and it mike just a hair over .452. It'll just barely pass thru the throats without too much force. Using WW with 1% tin at this moment. Use mainly 9.3 grains Unique and sometimes 18 grains 2400.

Most leading happesn right at the forcing cone and streaks down the barrel from there. Prolly 75% is within an inch of the forcing cone inclusive.

Think I should try to open the mold and sizer some more? to .453 or so?

Bodine
01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I would slug the barrel and get an accurate measurement of what dia. boolit you need to use.. Have you recovered any of the boolits you have shot already? That may give you an indication what the problem is.

SharpsShooter
01-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I would try shooting the boolits unsized, provided they are at least .453 The location of your leading indicates an undersize slug that is too hard to obdurate and seal properly. A larger silghtly softer boolit will solve your problem unless cylinder/ barrel gap or timing is an issue.

45 2.1
01-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Using home cast 255 gn SWC from Lee mold. 2lube grooves, come out .4527 and I opened up a .452 Lee sizer to just barely kiss about 80% of the boolit and it mike just a hair over .452. It'll just barely pass thru the throats without too much force. Using WW with 1% tin at this moment. Use mainly 9.3 grains Unique and sometimes 18 grains 2400.

Most leading happesn right at the forcing cone and streaks down the barrel from there. Prolly 75% is within an inch of the forcing cone inclusive.

Think I should try to open the mold and sizer some more? to .453 or so?

That bullet doesn't hold much lube and your pushing the heck out of it. Try useing some LEE liquid alox on it in addition to your normal lube. You might want to try 8.0 gr of Unique and see if the problem straightens itself out.

hpdrifter
01-15-2006, 10:15 PM
sharpshooter, anything softer than pure lead?

45 2.1, have tried 8.0 grains unique. 13 grns HS-7.

haven't tried alox AND normal lube. haven't tried larger bullet, BUT have tried them unsized.

Think I will try to open up the mold again AND take it to gunsmith for Taylor forcing cone.

Thanx.

Buckshot
01-16-2006, 05:22 AM
..............It could very well need the forcing cone help. I have a Vaquero 7.5", 45 Colt. While it never did lead, I felt it should shoot better. I know I'm unique in that thought:bigsmyl2: I took it to a gunsmith actually to have the front sight blade re-installed after my attempts to lean it, to correct it's wanting to shoot way left. I asked to have the forcing cone done to 11*.

That made a big difference in accuracy. It's throats are .451" and the groove is the same. I shoot cast from it sized at least .452" .

As others pointed out, leading right in the forcing cone shows the slug is failing immediately before reaching the rifled barrel. Sure seems like gas cutting or an alignment issue to me. Be sure the smith checks that too.

................Buckshot

sundog
01-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm with Buckshot. It sounds like an alignment issue, especially if it always in the same place. sundog

hpdrifter
01-16-2006, 10:34 PM
The alignment SEEMS ok. I can run a tight patch down the barrel on a jag and feel no interference from barrel to cylinder, but I ain't no pistolsmith either. Never have noticed it "spitting" lead. But, it is something to check.

Thanks.