PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Scrounger
01-15-2006, 07:12 PM
I bought my computer in November, 2002, so the warranty is long gone. It apparently has the built in capability to function as a fax machine, to send and receive. But that software is not installed automatically. I found the software on my hard drive and tried to install it. At one point it calls for me to put in the Windows XP CD/ROM. And therein lies the rub... I can't find it. And good old Dell won't send me one or give me download. I suppose I could pay them some ridiculous amount of money to get it but I don't want to ever give them another nickel. Sure as I do, the computer will go Ca-Blooey and I'll have to buy a new one. Does anyone happen to have a copy of that CD they are not using? Sure appreciate it if you'd sell it to me real reasonable...

felix
01-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Scrounger, this is something you don't want to hear, but the real advice is to get a new computer every three or four years. Hardware is being made cheaper and cheaper as time goes on, and that means less reliability for the most part. I have an old IBM personal computer here built in 1998 or so, and all components in it were done by IBM internal labs, and not imported unless they were mainframe quality spec. This computer is my internet server running a Unix derivitive specific for the purpose. No nothing but a floppy drive. It has been on, for the most part, 24-7 since that time. My current computer for keyboarding use had been made with the best components of the time four years ago, and is now full of memory faults, and who knows what else. Bugs everywhere are creaping in all over the place, and the hardware is so bad now that I cannot reload XP at all. I am on borrowed time as we speak. ... felix

Singletree
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Scrounger,
I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1A. Two CD's were included with the Northgate I purchased. Will this help?
Singletree

Scrounger
01-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Singletree, I will say "yes" but I'm not really sure it is the right CD. If it is the XP Home CD that comes with the computer new, I assume it is right. I have already downloaded and installed the updates that Windows puts out periodically.
Felix, I know that, have said it myself many times, but I just dread the hassle of transferring all the files. I'll probably do that anyway pretty soon. Of course that will hearld in a new era with great improvements. The week after I buy, of course...

StarMetal
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Art,

Personally myself I've never seen a store bought pc that didn't come with somekind of resource disk or backup in case you wiped it out. If you did lose your set you can't borrow someones XP because the are warranted to the person that originally bought it by serial number and there is a key in the pc that logs it in. What that means is that like you said you do the updates, well Microsoft checks that key to make you are who you are and you own that set. Say you wiped it and you borrow Singletrees disk to reload it...you both will be in a **** load of trouble. Believe me, Microsoft is checking the key and prosecuting as of months and months ago. Now to just use an XP disk to load that fax, that should work.

These problems you bring up are exactly why I build my own pc's and plus the fact that I can build a better model for the money then you can buy from a manufacturer.

Now as to getting a new pc and tranferring files. You can get a ghosting program, sometimes called Imaging. It will make an image of your hard drive and burn it on a CD. I have this for backup should I get a really bad virus that I have to wipe the hard drive. I can bring a new clean hard drive up to snuff in like 10 mins instead of starting from scratch and loading Windows, etc. Personally I don't use Explorer for a browser anymore. Too many bugs, too many hackers. I haven't had one iota bit of trouble since I quit using Explorer.

You don't have to buy a new pc. If you have something now that is at least a Pentium III or IV and a big enough hard drive you can buy a new XP, wipe your set and load it over and have your own system. You need to know what your individual hardware componants are so you can download current drivers, although XP will load them with default drivers. There is nothing majical about factory built pc's. You just have to understand them and that is where companies like Dell get you. Same as cars. If you're a mechanic you fix your own car. Same as with a pc, if you know how to work on them you can fix them.

Joe

Gunload Master
01-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Yea there are some very large legal issues when you talk about sharing someone elses windows operating systems. Borrowing someone's for a quick file from the disk should be just fine though, as the actual product key is not printed on the CD-ROM it'self but in the installation book that comes with the disk.

As for upgrading computers, if your not going to be using CAD or playing the latest games then older computers are just fine. The one thing I would do would setup a RAID configuration with two hard drives. Basically you have two hard drives, you set them up so they are clones with each other. You download one file, it's on both hard drives, if one ever fails, you simply replace it, the other hard drive backs up the information on the new one and you are ready to go. The Hard Drive is really the most important part of a computer system.

waksupi
01-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Scrounger, I was recently going through the thing of trying to figure out faxing, using the computer. After several days of screwing with it, I discovered I really couldn't fax from the computer. A peripheral fax machine needs to be attached to the system. Then, I supposedly could dial and send files from the computer. I had a fax machine, and never did get the thing to work right. Finally got rid of that, and have faxing done at work. Really get into your how-to in help, and I'll bet you find out, you really can't get to there, from here.

Scrounger
01-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Joe, my edition of Windows is working well, I'm not trying to replace it. But as I understand it, there are some things on Windows that are not installed when you get the computer; you must install them and the process requires getting drivers or something from that disc; that's why it's there. I am only trying to follow instructions from the computer (Windows) itself, no legal issues here. If that is the right disc, then it will solve my problem. I would appreciate it if Singletree would lend it to me, I promise to return it.
I have both Internet Explorer and FireFox on my computer. I have had no trouble at all with IE in the last year. Both Browsers work OK, both have annoyance's; familiarity with IE gives it a small advantage. Ford and Chevvy...

StarMetal
01-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Art,

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/winxpfax.htm

grumble
01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Scrounger, why not get one of the shareware/freeware fax programs? They work a lot better than the MS fax program. The MS program is not easy to set up, and mine keeps losing phone numbers and settings.

Also, make sure your modem card is a fax-modem.

Scrounger
01-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Scrounger, why not get one of the shareware/freeware fax programs? They work a lot better than the MS fax program. The MS program is not easy to set up, and mine keeps losing phone numbers and settings.

Also, make sure your modem card is a fax-modem.

More questions. I have seen free software that allows one to receive faxes but sending them is always a program that must be bought or subscribed to. My modem must be OK because I have a fax machine already (an All-in-One) but it only sends external data, by which I mean a printed sheet must be run through the feeder. I want to be able to select documents and photos from my hard-drive and fax them without first printing them. There was a built-in program for that on my old computer with Windows 98. If you know of a good free download, send it to me.

StarMetal
01-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Art,

When I was on phone modems all my modems I ever had, had fax too. I could send just about any file in my pc. I didn't have to scan or feed any sheet through any device. To me fax isn't a fax if it can't send and receiver both. What purpose do you need this for? Unless you have a business and are sending out for orders or such, it's a waste.

Joe

Scrounger
01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Art,

When I was on phone modems all my modems I ever had, had fax too. I could send just about any file in my pc. I didn't have to scan or feed any sheet through any device. To me fax isn't a fax if it can't send and receiver both. What purpose do you need this for? Unless you have a business and are sending out for orders or such, it's a waste.

Joe

My ISP is now a Wireless outfit named Keyon. It is broadband. My phone is hooked in as I do have the fax capability on my All-in-One. But I can't send photos or documents from my hard drive without printing them and manually running them throughthe fax machine/printer/et al. How did you do internal sending? When I right click on a document, I get the usual list of choices but not faxing. If I click to print it, I'm given the choice of using my H-P 4100 Printer or H-P 4100 Fax. (Same machine, it is an All-in-One) If I select the 'fax' option, nothing happens, there is no option to enter a phone number and entering a number manually on the machine does nothing. My H-P 'alledgedly' is capable of sending it but following their instructions in the manual achieved nothing. Apparently you are a step or two ahead of us mere mortals... :violin:

StarMetal
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Art,

The fax programs that I had worked when you were in fax, it asked you what files you wanted to fax and you just selected from a C: menu like most other windows functions. Then you clicked on the one you wanted to send. That was it.

Like I said, what do you need it for? Just to make it work because you know your pc has it? If so, waste of time pardner.

Joe

Scrounger
01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Art,

The fax programs that I had worked when you were in fax, it asked you what files you wanted to fax and you just selected from a C: menu like most other windows functions. Then you clicked on the one you wanted to send. That was it.

Like I said, what do you need it for? Just to make it work because you know your pc has it? If so, waste of time pardner.

Joe

I have occasional use for it but you hit the nail on the head here: Just to make it work because you know your pc has it?

grumble
01-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Scrounger, here are a coupe shareware programs:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=fax&tg=dl-20

Google "freeware shareware" and you'll get LOTS of sites. In each site, search for "fax." There's a lot out there.

Scrounger
01-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Scrounger, here are a coupe shareware programs:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=fax&tg=dl-20

Google "freeware shareware" and you'll get LOTS of sites. In each site, search for "fax." There's a lot out there.

Thanks, Grumble, but the operative word was 'free'. There are many sites that will let you receive free faxes, they send them to you by email so it costs them nothing. They do not allow you to send 'free' because it would likely cost them long distance charges. Understandable. My all-in-one is supposed to have the capability I want, but it just doesn't work. I am convinced the problem is the same as the Windows built in fax I can't get to work, I need the Windows XP CD which has the necessary 'bridging' software.

grumble
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
You need to read past the first couple-three lines, Scrounger. There are several send-receive fax programs listed for use with your computer, that aren't paid services.

Spend a few minutes reading, and check other freeware sites, and you'll find what you're looking for. Most are designed for fax-modems where the fax/modem can detect a dial tone to operate the call initiation.