PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-melt flow control

Humbo
01-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi,
I just purchased an RCBS Pro-melt, and I'm having problems figuring out the flow control. From my understanding, the screw is just put loosely on top of the adjustment bracket. I can't se how it adjusts the length of travel on the handle at all. The screw is very loose, and almost falls out of the bracket.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Tom Herman
01-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Welcome aboard! I also have the Pro-Melt. You'll enjoy it!
The stop screw on mine is seated about 3/8-1/2" from the top. You don't need it just hanging there.
Do yourself a favor: Keep a supply of paper clips on hand. I noticed the Pro Melt flow slowing down (I melt scrap and wheel weights in it and junk clogged the orifice). Solution was to *quickly* ream it out from the bottom while pouring some lead into an ingot mold.
I have to do that once in a while, other than that, no issues at all with operation!
Also, if you use an hygroscopic (alkaline, water attracting) flux like the most excellent Frankford Arsenal product, make sure you wipe down the outside of the pot with a damp sponge or cloth and dry off. I found the stuff attacks and lightly rusts or corrodes the hardware. No big deal once you know about it.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Russel Nash
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM
once the RCBS Pro Melt is nice and warmed up and the lead melt inside is about 720 to 750 degrees F, it does NOT take much movement at all to get the lead to flow rapidly out of the spout.

With a full pot (which means lots of head pressure at the spout), I think at most there is a 1/8" gap between the handle and the tip of the screw.

As either the temperature falls or the pot empties or both, the lead tends NOT to flow as fast, so I have had to unscrew the screw just a little bit, so maybe there is at most 1/4" gap .

somewhere between 600 degrees and 650 degrees the spout will freeze up and no more adjustment of the screw or jiggling of the handle will get the lead to flow out.

Maybe this is your first pot.... I dunno... maybe you know this already... it's not a real good idea to leave the pot unattended while it is heating up.

Don't ask me how I know that. [smilie=1:

30yrcaster
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Put a double nut on the screw so you can lock in a setting and as the pressure reduces you can loosen the screw to allow more flow then when you fill up the pot you can go back to your first setting.

BruceB
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I permanently installed an Allen key in the bolt of the RCBS flow-control system.

I run the pot almost full at all times, but even so, if it's down as little as three or four pounds from "full", I can detect a difference in the flow rate. With the Allen key installed and the bolt NOT tight, it's a very easy adjustment to increase or decrease the flow rate. As little as 1/4 turn makes a perceptible difference.

It rarely needs as much as a full turn, and the Allen key gives an obvious visual indicator of the position. I have no trouble with the bolt moving on its own, meaning that the adjustment stays right where I put it.

Realizing that many casters prefer to run the pot level down to almost empty, I think that using this adjustment method will give better bullets due to a more-consistent flow rate. As the head pressure decreases, the flow diminishes rapidly. Adjusting for the changing rate can only help the results.

Humbo
01-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!
The problem was that I couldn't get the adjustment screw to work at all. I found out that I had mounted the bracket that holds the adj. screw upside down, and only one side had screw-threads in it. So now the adjustment screw actually works without just rattling around, and everything goes so much smoother without spilling lead all over the place.

Casted a full pot in no-time today, and did exactly as BruceB suggested with adjusting the flow as the level ran down. Perfect bullets all the way, only 4-5 had to go back in the pot. I've never had so much fun casting before!

seagiant
01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Humbo,
Be secure in you're mind that you are using the best,reasonably priced melting pot made in the world today!!!

buck1
01-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Yep! Good pots!!

cajun shooter
01-30-2009, 07:31 AM
The RCBS Pro-Melt is a great pot and I wouldn't be happy with out mine. The thermostat sensor is wired to the spout area. This is the last area to reach the set temps. I leave mine set on 750 and have not moved it in months. When I first bought mine I would rush the pour and heat the spout with a propane torch. Plug the pot in and wait for the light to go out and it will pour with no problem, no paper clips needed. As far as flux, I would stay away from Marveflux as it will rust your pot in a hurry. I use Pat Marlin's wonderful wood flux. It smells good and leaves no residue. Plus he is a member of this forum.

Humbo
01-30-2009, 07:42 AM
The Pro melt is a great pot for sure! I actually decided to get me another one for softer alloys, and was thrilled when I found a used one. I received it today, and the spout had fallen off during transport! It had some lead in it, and I don't want to fire it up because it looks like lead will then go into the insulation and God knows where. So now I'm sitting here with a pot I can't use.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
flip it upside down over a container and turn it on

Humbo
01-30-2009, 12:42 PM
flip it upside down over a container and turn it on

I will give it a try! Just have to get me a new transformer that will handle the load. Does anyone know if it's safe to hook the 120V version up with 220V directly?

Thanks

happy7
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
If you hook a 120 pot up to 240, you WILL burn out the eletrical parts of it in probably less than a second. Do NOT do that.

As one of my teachers once said, doing that will let all the smoke out of the electrical parts, and once the smoke is let out, it doesn't work anymore. :kidding:

You will need a transformer rated for the amperage of the pot. The large heavy ones work the best. Go ahead and pay the money and get a good one. It will save you frustration. Also, if you get one that is reversable, make darn sure you hook it up right and also that you fix it so it can't be reversed in the future. If you hook it up backwards you will be pumping 480 volts into your pot.

Humbo
01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks happy, that was all I needed to know. It's just that those 1000W+ transformers are damn expensive, we're looking at 150USD minimum. Then I could just have gotten a brand new 220V pot instead.

Humbo
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way of converting the 120V Pro-melt to a 220V? They can't be that much different?

Humbo
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I have now dissected my Pro-melt and taken out the pot. The spout has been torn right out of the pot, but none of them seem damaged. Hopefully I'll be able to empty the pot and put the spout back in where it belongs. The whole furnace seems very simple, it shouldn't be a problem to switch some small parts and make it handle 220V. Hopefully I can get the parts I need cheap from RCBS. What d you guys think? If anyone want pictures of the inside, let me know.

TAWILDCATT
01-30-2009, 09:35 PM
you will need a new element.period.if you can put an out let in for 220 you will be able to cut the load.not to bash you but dont you know any thing about electricity.
I would call RCBS and see if it can be converted.and let them do it before you burn the building down.:coffee: [smilie=1:

quasi
01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
RCBS warrantys the pot forever. Parts will be free.

seagiant
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi,
Ok, I'll admit it. I'm confused? Whats wrong with running it on 110 volts? Mine works great with 110!

buckndee
01-31-2009, 12:31 AM
RCBS promelt has a 2 year warranty. They will do a complete rebuild for about $95.00 plus shipping. Or the will sell just the parts you need to repair it yourself. I dropped mine off a high storage shelf and bent it all to hell. Stell worked but had to take it apart to strighten the sheet metal to get it to stand tall again.

happy7
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I suspect Humbo lives in a country where the standard electricity is 220. Humbo, you should be able to order a 220 element from RCBS. But there may be other things in there that are electrical which would need to be changed as well. I would give RCBS a call and discuss it with them.

Humbo
01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Happy7, that's right, I live in Norway, and I found that 120V furnace on an auction site. This is the first used one I've seen for sale, and I got it for 150 USD, which is a bargain compared to the 600 they cost new here. But then I discovered the cost of a transformer that will handle the load, and it wasn't such a bargain any more.

But that was before I talked to Bill over at RCBS. He's gong to send me a brand new pot and the parts I need for converting my furnace to 220V! When I think their customer service just can't get any better, they always somehow seem to top themselves anyway. Simply impressive!
Hopefully I will afford more of these Pro-melts in the future, one for every alloy I use.

cajun shooter
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Now you see why the RCBS is worth every penny they cost. Wait till you cast with it, you will have fun!!!

seagiant
01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Humbo,
Good deal! I ASSUMED you were stateside. I was in Bergen and Stavanger last summer. Beautiful country,great beer and nice people! The economy is pricey for an American though! Glad RCBS helped you out,if only we could get the rest of the manufactures to service the customer as well!

Humbo
01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi seagiant!
That's awesome! You actually got to visit two of the most beautiful cities in Norway. I've lived in both of them, and still live in the region. I was working in Bergen for almost 10 years, and I was stationed in Stavanger when I was in the navy. The local beer in Bergen (Hansa) is the best beer there is, and everyone who come here should try it!
I totally agree, Norway is very pricey, especially if you have hobbies like shooting and reloading, or live in the cities. Luckily I know some people in the US that help me out with my reloading needs, without them I would't have half the equipment I have today. God bless!

Greg5278
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
How well does the RCBS Promelt work for large bullets? I was thinking of getting one to cast my 500-1043gr shotgun slugs. I am getting tired of the Ladle pouring after all these years. I was just wondering if the pot has enogh flow for good fill, or if I should pressure pour the big slugs.
Thanks
Greg

beagle
02-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I've never run into the 2 year warranty although I've heard this. I just ship mine back and they come back repaired......free. Got two and love 'em./beagle