PDA

View Full Version : I'm addicted now

jforwel
01-29-2009, 12:35 AM
This is my second casting session. The first was with a Lee tumble lube .41 cal bullet which came out nice and then lubed with alox. The bullets below are from one of two Lyman 429421 molds I got from ebay last summer. This mold required a lot of cleaning and a rebuild kit, thanks to tips from this forum. The bullets filled out nice although I did have one cavity that seemed to frost on one side. Maybe I need to clean it some more. They are somewhat out of round which I hope gets ironed out during sizing. I will size once I get my lube from The Bullshop.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/jforwel/429421.jpg

I do have a question about top punches for another mold I bought on ebay. It's a Lyman 410610GC and I can't seem to find a top punch for it. I noticed on Midway that Saeco has a punch #41610 that is for the 4500 sizer. Will this punch work for this bullet?

Thanks for giving me the disease

docone31
01-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Can't help you with that information, I use the Lee Sizer System. I pan lube, check if needed, size.
Welcome and enjoy the sickness.
Sure beats watching cartoons.

Catshooter
01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I can't tell you the proper top punch either. We're worthless!

I can tell you though that one of our members (named Buckshot) will make you "blank" top punches for very little money. You fill the tip with epoxy and they form perfectly to the boolit. I love 'em.

Cat

copdills
01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the forum (nice Boolits)

cajun shooter
01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the forum. Go to the sticky section and you will find a how to on top punches and also a sticky on lyman molds which might have your mold listed

Calamity Jake
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
If you have a Midsouth or Midway catalog it will have TP# listed with mold #, at least for Lyman.

woody1
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Takes a 610 top punch. What was the question?

missionary5155
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Greetings and WELCOME jforwel
AHHH 41... My favorite revolver caliber.
Top punches.. Truethfully I use any punch that comes the closest to my boolit nose. You can defrom a boolit to one terrible mess in the nose and it will fly well. Now when I want the BEST accuracy possible I use a punch that really fits. But for everyday groundhod,crow,can,paper I do not get real particular because out to 50 yars I have not been able to see more than 1/2 " difference .... even in my SUPER ACCURATE Dan Wesson 41 mag 8 ". I use flat punches on round nose boolits to swell the nose a bit.
I but Lyman punches as cheap as possible and Dremil the noses... expoxy the noses... It has been a long time since I bought a new one...
So do not get to overly concered about noses. IT IS the BASE you want perfect !

$ more months and I can break out the 41īs !!!
Mike God Bless you.

Wayne Smith
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
For most boolits I use a flat top punch I made out of a brass 1/4" bolt. Cut it off to the right length, turn the head to the right diameter with a drill and file. Flatten the head with the file. Works fine.

jforwel
01-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did check Midway's catalog and that number corresponded to the #43 punch. So I called Lyman to check and they said the #43 does fit the 410610 as well as some .40 cal stuff.