PDA

View Full Version : Lyman-slug in Magtech brass

jahela
01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
It's probably posted anywhere, but I haven't found:

Has anybody load-data for the combination LYMAN-slug

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-shotgun.php?entryID=86

with Magtech brass 2 3/4??

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sitepages/pid103.php?productId=550&ltemplate=details&templateId=14&pageId=103&search=details

Primer is WIN LP, Powder - if possible - should be VV N 320 because I use it in my .45ACP.

Which sabot would fit the best?

Thanks

Dirk

Nazgul
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
The Magtech cases I have use 11 gauge wads. The normal 12 gauge cushion type wads are too small.

Don

turbo1889
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
The combination your trying to put together really isn't the best of plans, the Lyman "wad-slugs" would be much happier in a conventional plastic hull. But if you do wish to proceed you will indeed need to obtain both some 11ga. nitro cards and some 11ga. overshot cards along with some 1-1/4oz. size plastic shot wads -- preferably of the Winchester brand. You will need to cut the bottom half of these wads off leaving only the forward shot cup portion intact. You then will load by putting in the powder, then a stack of 11ga. nitro cards, then the Lyman "wad-slugs" inside the shotcup section of the plastic wads followed by an 11ga. overshot card and a then lightly glue the overshot wad in somehow -- finger nail polish can be used.

The reason I suggest the Win. brand wads is because they requre the least amount of cutting to seperate the shotcup portion of the wad. Use a razor knife and watch your fingers.

jahela
02-01-2009, 03:42 PM
... some 11ga. nitro cards and some 11ga. overshot cards along with some 1-1/4oz. size plastic shot wads -- preferably of the Winchester brand. You will need to cut the bottom half of these wads off leaving only the forward shot cup portion intact.

Thanks TURBO!
I'll try to get this components, it will may be difficult, because it's "exotic" to reload shotshell here in germany.
Any idea concerning the powder?

Dirk

jahela
02-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Ist it right that the LYMAN hollow base slug
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-shotgun.php?entryID=85
can be loaded without a shotcup?
I read that the precision of the "Diabolos" is better than the "hollow base"!?!.

turbo1889
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
. . . I'll try to get this components, it will may be difficult, because it's "exotic" to reload shotshell here in germany.
Any idea concerning the powder? . . .

Ist it right that the LYMAN hollow base slug
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-shotgun.php?entryID=85
can be loaded without a shotcup?
I read that the precision of the "Diabolos" is better than the "hollow base"!?!.

The Lyman slug is made deliberatly undersize diameter to fit inside the shot cup portion of a standard shot wad -- It can be made to fit inside the standard 1-1/8 oz. trap shot load but fits better inside a 1-1/4 oz. hunting wad. If you shoot it naked without a wad it will rattle down the bore and accuracy will probably be terrible, not to mention leading of the bore. If you can't find any of your components you could punch/cut the necessary card wads out of cardboard and then wrap the slug with a coil of paper to bring it up to bore diameter instead of using a wad. As far as powder is concerned you want to use a slower burning powder such as used for heavy hunting loads with shot loads for shotguns. Since you may be not have access to american powders figure out which one of your powders over there is usually used for 1-1/4oz. to 1-1/2oz. hunting loads in the 12ga. over there and use that powder. Since the Lyman slug weighs about 1-3/16oz. you can use the 1-1/4oz. load data as a starting point. I know those are american measurements and you will need to convert to metric grams but I'm sure you can figure that out.

turbo1889
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
A "Diabolos" slug is a hollow base slug -- but unlike other hollow base slugs it has a "wasp waist" about a third of the way to half of the way back. The Lyman slugs are indeed a "Diabolos" style which under the right conditions can indeed be more accurate then just a regular hollow base an example of which is a "foster" slug.

jahela
02-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks again!
You see that I'm inexperienced in this theme and it's difficult to get information here in germany.
I fond a guy in a german online-forum who load this combination with blackpowder. And he uses the orange winchester WT12 cup.

I looked at the site of my dealer, he offers WINCHESTER-cups:
white - WAA12
grey - WAA 12L
red - WAA12R
pink - WAA12SL
orange - WT12

Additional he offers BPI-cups "G/BP", BPI "Universal",
Federal-cups for three different weights and
Remington R12H, R12L, RP12, RXP12, SP12, TGT12

Very confusing, which one is the best?

Powder: I'll start with Vihtavuori 3N37, this is between Herco and Blue Dot.
The N320 I planned to use is similar Red Dot and probably too fast?!?

Dirk

mikenbarb
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
WAA12 white is going to be your best choice in a slug wad.