PDA

View Full Version : 357 Magnum and Blue Dot

sniper
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Before the warning, I used Blue Dot in some of my 357 Magnum loads, 125gr.-162gr. jacketed and cast bullets, with no problems.

I liked the powder, with loads from 9gr to 10.5, which were not maximum, but gave a reasonable velocity and accuracy, and didn't leave much residue. The loads were bulkier than Bullseye, and, in my mind, reduced the danger of an undiscovered double charged case.

I was at the bottom of the can when the warning was issued, so I just disposed of the remainder, and didn't buy any more.

Reading what info I can find, I am not sure If Blue Dot is a good idea any more.

What have been your experiences, post-warning?

I use Unique and and have replaced the Blue Dot with 2400 for the time being, and don't feel underprivileged, but what would be a better replacement powder for the Blue Dot?

felix
01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
The old lots of BlueDot were all OK. It's the newer lots, begining when they started making the powders "cleaner". They are making a new line of powders which hopefully having better behaved chemicals. The new line is supposed to have the modifier chemicals in the basis mix, instead of being used as coatings. Gotta' wait and see. I have used N105 as an exact replacement in pistols and small rifles. ... felix

Larry Gibson
01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I too have been using Blue Dot in the 357 magnum with 125 gr j bullets and in the .44 magnum with 200 gr j bullets. However I have been loading older safe maximum loads (not the tamed down max loads out of the current crop of manuals) with them for use in my Ruger 6" Security Six and my Ruger BH. I also use BD for max j bullet loads in my Spanish Destroyer .38 Super.

When this "warning" came out from Alliant contact was made with them regarding this issue. The response was "it was reported (didn't say by whom) there were pressure spikes with Blue Dot in magnum revolver cartridges," I've been using the "new cleaner burning" BD for some time and have not had any pressure spikes. I am pressure testing my .44 loads and have found no evidence of pressure spiking. I shall continue to use BD for such loads. I believe if Alliant suspected a real problem with BD they would have pulled it from the shelves and recalled that which was sold.

Larry Gibson

C A Plater
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
I still use Blue Dot in .357 loads with 125 grain J bullets but have never gone anywhere near maximum levels. I typically use it where Unique and similar powders run out of head room. If I want full magnum level I'll use something like Lil'Gun or H110 to get there. Alliant is doing CYA on this and I can't say I'd blame them. If you don't feel comfortable using it then by all means don't. There are lots of other choices available.

felix
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Larry, I tend to agree with you, but my last lot was obtained back in the 70's. So, I don't really know. I don't even know if the powder gains speed when frozen, but then all powders require a sufficient (allocated) moisture as to burn to spec. I suspect some do, some don't. Ball powders seem to retain their moisture better than the others. ... felix

454PB
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I still use Bluedot in .357. My powder is the older Hercules, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Alliant powder with some adjustment/load development. The problems were explained in a recent Handloader article, check here:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=38774&highlight=bluedot&page=2

Larry Gibson
01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Larry, I tend to agree with you, but my last lot was obtained back in the 70's. So, I don't really know. I don't even know if the powder gains speed when frozen, but then all powders require a sufficient (allocated) moisture as to burn to spec. I suspect some do, some don't. Ball powders seem to retain their moisture better than the others. ... felix

felix

I've some powders that old (4831 in particular) but no BD. I think the last lb I used wasn't more than a couple years old (bought it after return from Iraq in Dec, 05). Used it up about 6 months ago and have 2 lbs new stuff. That's the stuff I've been using and pressure testing in the .44. I have some test loads made up but weathers been too crappy. I will make a post if i find any pressure spiking for sure.

Larry Gibson

felix
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Please do, Larry, and thanks. ... felix

pdawg_shooter
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
My Colt Python goes through a pound of Bluedot behind 125gr cast and jacketed ever 3 to 4 months. No problem yet!

dougader
02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
The recall, as I recall, was only for 357 mag with 125 gr j bullets and for 41 mag loads. And I heard the reason for this was that pressure testing equipment for these loads was found to be working incorrectly at that time... and data showing loads hotter than desired was printed.

I have not used the Alliant powder, but have a bit left from a 5 pound keg of Hercules BD that works wonderfully in 357 mag with all bullet weights from 110 - 158 grains, and in 45 Colt with 250-255 gr boolits.

I started using BD with the publication of the Speer 11 manual. Loads in Speer 11 have starting loads that are hotter than some MAX loads in Speer 14. I don't suggest anyone going right out and doing what I do, but my standard SD load was and is 125 gr jhp over 14.5 gr BD with a standard (CCI 500) primer. This is a great load in my GP100. It may be too hot for your gun.

The only time I got pressure spikes was by absent-mindedly substituting magnum primers into the equation. Then I got sticky case extraction and stopped after one cylinder. Had to pull those bullets and start over.