PDA

View Full Version : Coffee can alert!

Shuz
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
The other day my wife gave me an empty coffee can;bless her soul. She's been doing that for years. As I took the can out to the shop for it's usual task of housing lead ingots, or as a dross receptacle from my smelting, I noticed that the sides of the can are now cardboard!! While these "cans" can prolly house 30 to 40 pounds of ingots like the old cans, you can imagine what might happen should I use it for flaming hot dross or as a turpinetine filled paint brush cleaning receptacle! Is this the "price" of progress? AAAArgh, first they convert my wheelweights to zinc and steel: and now this! I needa go pop some primers.--Shuz

jimkim
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I like to buy one gallon cans of beans. They still make then from steel.

Firebricker
01-28-2009, 02:01 PM
just tell me it wasnt McDaniels brand and ill feel better !

NVcurmudgeon
01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
The other day my wife gave me an empty coffee can;bless her soul. She's been doing that for years. As I took the can out to the shop for it's usual task of housing lead ingots, or as a dross receptacle from my smelting, I noticed that the sides of the can are now cardboard!! While these "cans" can prolly house 30 to 40 pounds of ingots like the old cans, you can imagine what might happen should I use it for flaming hot dross or as a turpinetine filled paint brush cleaning receptacle! Is this the "price" of progress? AAAArgh, first they convert my wheelweights to zinc and steel: and now this! I needa go pop some primers.--Shuz

Since Folgers began using plastic "cans" five years ago, I have hoarded real cans and have a comfortable amount piled up on top of the freezer in the garage.

j20owner
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I like the plastic cans. I can get about 30lbs of WW in a 3lb coffee can. Surprises people when they try to pick up my coffee. :coffee:

The plastic ones also work good for making my home-made firestarting 'stuff'. It doesn't dry out as fast in the plastic ones as it does in the metal cans with plastic lids.

Shiloh
01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Rosarita Refries cans. All steel all the time!!:wink:

Shiloh

JeffinNZ
01-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Baby formula cans are the duck's nuts.

Can = steel.
Lid = LDPE for BPCR wads
Tear top = 10 thou alum for .22 gas checks.

Nothing wasted in these tough times.

The Dove
01-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I use the plastic Folgers coffee cans for brass. The #10 food service cans for dross. I use a cast iron corn muffin thing for my indots and store them in an ammo canister. Works well for me. BUT, I do see less and less steel coffee cans so I feel your pain. I've said before, better get all the lead WW's you can cause they are a thing of the past in the future. How soon????? I don't know but it's coming.....

The Dove

Shuz
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
just tell me it wasnt McDaniels brand and ill feel better !

Brand was Yuban

skeet1
01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
JeffinNZ,
Duck's nuts?

The Dove
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
What are Duck's nuts???

The Dove

No_1
01-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Duck's nuts are the same as bee's knees, extra lube grooves, spare oglives or 6's.....

Robert

jimkim
02-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Yuban looks like hippie coffee to me. Rainforest Alliance???? Isn't paper made from wood? Must be owned by the hippie do as I say not as I do crowd. http://www.yuban.com/yuban/page?PagecRef=1
Time to switch to Cafe' Bustelo it will get ya' going. Just don't eat the worm.

Shiloh
02-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Yuban looks like hippie coffee to me. Rainforest Alliance???? Isn't paper made from wood? Must be owned by the hippie do as I say not as I do crowd. http://www.yuban.com/yuban/page?PagecRef=1
Time to switch to Cafe' Bustelo it will get ya' going. Just don't eat the worm.

Yup.

My political biases force me to avoid certain products. The most recent is Pepsi, the new logo looks too much like an Obama campaign logo. Sheesh !!

Just make stuff from metal.

Shiloh

Tom Herman
02-01-2009, 01:04 PM

The coffee cans and wheel weights are just the tip of the iceberg.
I pine for the days when you could walk into the hardware store, buy a Solothurn Anti Tank gun for $55, a Luger for $40, a gallon of Carbon Tetrachloride, pay for it with real money, and walk out the door without filling out any paperwork.
Money is no longer gold and silver, the dollar is no longer redeemable in silver, and the idiots want to electronically deposit my checks!
I told them it's against my religion, so I'm the sole holdout still being sent a real, paper check. It really grates them not to have 100% compliance, but it sends the message just fine.
Remember the days when people didn't watch much TV, and they actually did things? Now I have to hid my chemical experiments because some brain dead idiot
will automatically assume I'm making meth and either try to rob me or turn me in to the police.
Mr. Peabody: Kindly crank up the Wayback Machine and drop me off in 1962.

Happy Shootin! -Tom

Hardcast416taylor
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Seems to be so many of us thinking pretty much the same way we should form a state of our own. Oldcootissippi or Codgerana and of course Fuddyduddyada are some titles for a start. I find myself remembering the old days too much myself. But gas will never go back to 18 cents a gal. and you`ll never get a book of matches and 2 pennies from a cigatette machine when you put a quarter in it! [smilie=1: Robert

Crash_Corrigan
02-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I am so old that I fart dust!

I remember the gas wars in NJ during the early 50's when you could buy gas for .09 a gallon and have the attendant check your oil, tires, clean your windshield and dispense the gas for free!

A Sniickers bar was bigger than it is today and cost a nickle. Coke came out of a machine in a 7 oz. bottle and cost a nickle. Milk came to your house via a Milk Truck and was left on your doorstep in a metal insulated container in a bottle with a cardboard stopper.

There was one TV in the neighborhood and you played outdoors with your friends until suppertime.

The movie show at the Rialto cost a quarter and had as many as 20 cartoons and then a buncha serials including Flash Gordon, Tom Mix and Don Winslow before the double feature movie started. There were Matrons assigned to the movies equipped with flashlights and they tried to regulate the behavior of the moviegoers.

My bike was a Schwinn and had 24" tires and one speed. It was made in the USA. My baseball glove was a Rawlings and made in the USA. My football helmet was made of leather and some kind of dense compressed sawdust and had no faceguards and it had the Wilson name on it and was made in the USA.

My Dad drove a Nash, Buick or a DeSoto and they were made in Detroit. My pen needed to be filled with ink, needed a blotter and was either a Parker, Waterman or Schaeffer {remember the snorkel?} and were all made in the USA.

My teachers were Dominican Nuns and wore White and Black Habits. My class was over 60 kids and sometimes 80 kids and the Nuns ran the show with an iron hand. Thay had those maple pointers with a black bullet tip or about 36" in length and they could make them bend and sing when used. Corporal Punishment was the norm and nobody complianed to the ACLU or their parents.

The cops carried .38's with 158 GR LRN bullets and seldom shot anybody. They were more likeliy to kick some butt than to arrest anyone. If a kid was caught in a bind the cop would likely take you home and deliver you to your parents who would whale the tar out of you. Try that today!

It was a simpler time when you used your iminagation and your brain to make up games and develop your interpersonal skills. No game boys, Ipods or Blackberrys..we had Spalding Pinks Rubber balls, chalk, bottle caps, metal wheeled roller skates, bb guns, 22's and cap pistols.

mtgrs737
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Nowadays, the TV is little more than a Propaganda machine for the left! Sickens me to think what our country is becoming.

Scrounger
02-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Propaganda flows to the Right, too. Crash, remember that milk had an inch or so of cream on top of it. Those were good times. And I can't remember any difference between the times Harry Truman was in and Ike was in. We elected a President and he did his job while we did ours and there wasn't one percent of the whining, name-calling, and other crap that goes on today. I guess we can chalk that up to "enhanced communication". Too much radio, television, and Internet commentary on every little thing that happens. In the old days it just fell under the wheels and was forgotten.

Paul B
02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I am so old that I fart dust!

I remember the gas wars in NJ during the early 50's when you could buy gas for .09 a gallon and have the attendant check your oil, tires, clean your windshield and dispense the gas for free!

A Sniickers bar was bigger than it is today and cost a nickle. Coke came out of a machine in a 7 oz. bottle and cost a nickle. Milk came to your house via a Milk Truck and was left on your doorstep in a metal insulated container in a bottle with a cardboard stopper.

There was one TV in the neighborhood and you played outdoors with your friends until suppertime.

The movie show at the Rialto cost a quarter and had as many as 20 cartoons and then a buncha serials including Flash Gordon, Tom Mix and Don Winslow before the double feature movie started. There were Matrons assigned to the movies equipped with flashlights and they tried to regulate the behavior of the moviegoers.

My bike was a Schwinn and had 24" tires and one speed. It was made in the USA. My baseball glove was a Rawlings and made in the USA. My football helmet was made of leather and some kind of dense compressed sawdust and had no faceguards and it had the Wilson name on it and was made in the USA.

My Dad drove a Nash, Buick or a DeSoto and they were made in Detroit. My pen needed to be filled with ink, needed a blotter and was either a Parker, Waterman or Schaeffer {remember the snorkel?} and were all made in the USA.

My teachers were Dominican Nuns and wore White and Black Habits. My class was over 60 kids and sometimes 80 kids and the Nuns ran the show with an iron hand. Thay had those maple pointers with a black bullet tip or about 36" in length and they could make them bend and sing when used. Corporal Punishment was the norm and nobody complianed to the ACLU or their parents.

The cops carried .38's with 158 GR LRN bullets and seldom shot anybody. They were more likeliy to kick some butt than to arrest anyone. If a kid was caught in a bind the cop would likely take you home and deliver you to your parents who would whale the tar out of you. Try that today!

It was a simpler time when you used your iminagation and your brain to make up games and develop your interpersonal skills. No game boys, Ipods or Blackberrys..we had Spalding Pinks Rubber balls, chalk, bottle caps, metal wheeled roller skates, bb guns, 22's and cap pistols.

I remember all that and then some. You could safely play in the streets and not have to worry about some pervert hitting on you. Dodge ball was considered a mild game and one foot off the gutter a more challenging game. WW2 was going on at the time and seeing war planes flying overhead to do bomb practice was a common sight. TV was only a gleam in some techie's eye. radio shows like capt. Midnight, Red Ryder, the Smilin' Ed McConnel show with Froggie the Gremlin, family picnics in Golden Gate Park or at the beach. Yep. I remeber all that stuff. Would love to see it come back.
Paul B.

Scrounger
02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
By the way, Crash, do you know how the Snickers Bar got it's name? Snickers was the name of the family pooch of the Mars family who marketed several candy bars. And during Prohibition, Adolph Coors sold them malt to keep his company in business.