PDA

View Full Version : Has the quality of T/C bbls. changed?

Maven
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
After reading the thread on Doug's T/C Hawken, I have to wonder whether the quality and/or the manufacturer of T/C rifle bbls. has changed since the mid-1970's. Here's why I ask: I've owned a .45cal. Cherokee and a Hawken with two .45cal. bbls. (1:48 twist, 28" long; 1:66, 32" long) and a Green Mtn. .50cal (1:66 twist, 32" long) and never had an accuracy problem with any of them. All would put 5 shots into 1" @ 50 yds. from a rest with either the original sights or a tang-mounted T/C "Vernier" sight. Also, none of the bbls. showed a preference for BP or Pyrodex (either P or RS), but they were sensitive to patch thickness. I.e., the .45cals. required a .015" patch + a .440" RB whereas the Green Mtn. .50cal. shot best with a .490 RB and a .018" patch. Moreover, the 1:48 twists shot T/C Maxi-Balls and Lee REAL's equally well and accurately, but the recoil was a bit stout, especially in the Cherokee. As some of you discovered, the T/C stock design leaves something to be desired: Not nearly enough drop for me and thus not easily fired offhand, which was the primary reason I sold them.

Underclocked
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes. Hit or miss now and the addition of the QLA section was idiotic, IMHO.

shdwlkr
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Maven,
I wouldn't buy one of the new TC hawkens as I think they are living on the name and not quality anymore. I don't see any improvements since S&W bought the company either if anything they are going down hill more.
I only have five TC's so I am basing my thoughts on a very small number of rifles but all mine are oldies and I am always looking for another old one to add to the group.
I have Cheorkees, Senecas, hawkens and Renegades and I am real pleased with what I have that is unless I get the cleaning jag stuck in the barrel then I am all kinds of upset for being so stupid as to let that happen.

fourarmed
01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Is there a place to get the mfr. date from the serial number of the TCs?

rick/pa
01-30-2009, 12:36 AM
I believe all their records were lost in the fire at their plant several years ago. They also lost a great deal of fine wood which is why some of the older stocks had highly figured wood which is not common on more recent guns, or so I've been told.

I owned a Hawken back in the early 70's, had a Renegade in the late 90's and now have a Pa Hunter, all in flint. The Hunter had that crappy QLA barrel which was never meant for a patched round ball. I sent it back to T/C and asked them to replace it with an older barrel with the slow twist, deep rifled barrel for the round ball. They did so and didn't charge me a penny. I use it as my bad weather rifle but prefer my hand built guns for best accuracy.

Charlie Sometimes
02-03-2009, 12:40 AM
I like the old ones too. Everybody wants an in-line now-a-days and that is where they are spending their money- IMHO. I wish they'd go back to those good muzzleloaders. Those were the days........