PDA

View Full Version : .001 over?.002 over?same?

jeff223
01-14-2006, 03:47 PM
where is the best place to be to start when working with a cast boolit?

first slug your bore,then size the boolit to fit.i have heard of people doing it all three ways.where do you start?going to use Lee liquid alox for lube if that has anything to do with it

thanks in advance,
jeff

David R
01-14-2006, 07:23 PM
The whole idea of LLA is to shoot the boolits unsized. I would try that first. If the cartridge chambers easily, it should ( :) ) shoot well. I recomend you slug your bore or even better make a chamber cast to know what you are working with. It makes life easier.

The way I understand it, .001 or .002 will shoot fine. If you get into the high speed stuff, closer to bore size might help or might not depending on the rifle.

Good luck
Let us know how it works
David

NVcurmudgeon
01-15-2006, 02:53 AM
I generally try to shoot boolits .001-.002 over groove diameter. Two things to watch out for are moulds that cast undersize, and lubrisizer dies that don't size what the marked size is. For example, I have a Lyman .356 die and a .357. Both size to .3565!

Buckshot
01-15-2006, 03:12 AM
................In a rifle, sizing to the throat is a good starting place. Sometimes you don't have much choice. My 03A1 has a .309" throat. Not much sense in trying to go larger.

There is out of bounds situations too. The biggest culprit I've ever run across was the 1895 Steyr straight pulls in 8x56R. It may also be a pressure lowering device too. Regardless, when you have a .316" groove and a .332" groove, but the thing will chamber a round with a .338" slug 8). With that .316" bore you're displacing a LOT of lead when it engraves.

However, if possible I like to be a thou over groove, minimum, and if possible sized 2 thou over.

................Buckshot

Newtire
01-15-2006, 11:50 AM
where is the best place to be to start when working with a cast boolit?

first slug your bore,then size the boolit to fit.i have heard of people doing it all three ways.where do you start?going to use Lee liquid alox for lube if that has anything to do with it

thanks in advance,
jeff
Hi Jeff,
I use the Lee Liquid Alox. It's pretty messy stuff but really does the job. I like to size bullets .001-.002" over bore diam. I shoot both .30 cal. & .44 cal. and it works good for me that way. Make sure you get all signs of copper & lead out of the bore before slugging it. You can make the Liquid alox alot nicer to use if you dip the bulletted end of the loaded cartridge in Midway Mica powder & wipe it in with a rag. Stays dry to handle forever that way.