PDA

View Full Version : What's my velocity ?

superior
01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Can someone give me an educated calculation or even guess what my velocity is with. SKS 16"bbl paratrooper
chinese copper-washed steel case
Lee Tl-312-160 boolit wcww
25gr h4895

Could this be a good small game load?

docone31
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
According to the load data center for IMR powders, The 150gn with 27gns of 4895 gives 2105fps.
Other than that, I have no clue.
I do know, I use 30gns 4895 with my .308 with 180gn paper patched casting and I get around 2500fps.
You might need to find someone with Rabbit Ears.
As far as hunting, I do not see why not, shot placement is always the key.

HangFireW8
01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
You might need to find someone with Rabbit Ears.
As far as hunting, I do not see why not, shot placement is always the key.

Don't shoot Lyman style fall-off gas checks through the Rabbit Ears. The Rabbit Ears owner may get pissed.

Should be good enough for any small game I've ever seen.

-HF

Bret4207
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
"Rabbit Ears" Ha! I like it!!!

Larry Gibson
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
A C312-155-2R (157 gr fully dressed) over 25 gr H4895 (IMI cases with WLR primers) runs 1620 fps out of my 20" Russian SKS. That my educated guess.

Should be a good small game load. Would be better if you FN the bullets while sizing them.

BTW; I've been shooting Lyman "fall off" GCs through "rabbit ears" (I do like that!) since '75 and have yet to have one fall off and hit the "ears" or the "head" of the 3 different Oehler "rabbits" I've been using since then. Probably shot thousands of them GCs between the "ears". I've got about 4,000 .375, .44 and .45 s left so I'll let everyone know if I hit the "ears".

Larry Gibson

pdawg_shooter
01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I found the paper from one of my patches laying over the lens of my start screen one time. Couldnt understand why my chrno. had quit working all of a sudden. No damage, it was just covering part of the lens.

superior
01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok! So I should be somewhere around 1500fps with the shorter barrel. Thanks guys!

HangFireW8
01-28-2009, 01:15 AM
BTW; I've been shooting Lyman "fall off" GCs through "rabbit ears" (I do like that!) since '75 and have yet to have one fall off and hit the "ears" or the "head" of the 3 different Oehler "rabbits" I've been using since then. Probably shot thousands of them GCs between the "ears". I've got about 4,000 .375, .44 and .45 s left so I'll let everyone know if I hit the "ears".

Larry, I guess you're also one of those lucky guys that has also has never shot his crono, or even the skyscreens.

Me, on the other hand...:mrgreen: Darn! I don't recall swapping scopes on THAT rifle, just the other one, the one that has the scope that was on THIS rifle...

On another topic, did you know that Shooting Crony has an excellent shot-up trade-up program? [smilie=1:

-HF

Larry Gibson
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Larry, I guess you're also one of those lucky guys that has also has never shot his crono, or even the skyscreens.

Me, on the other hand...:mrgreen: Darn! I don't recall swapping scopes on THAT rifle, just the other one, the one that has the scope that was on THIS rifle...

On another topic, did you know that Shooting Crony has an excellent shot-up trade-up program? [smilie=1:

-HF

HangFireW8

I have learned over the years that there are two kinds of chronograph users; those that have shot the screens and those that will shoot the screens:(

I have shot my screens (especially the down range screens with the M43) several times. Fortuneately it was only nicks and chips that flew off the main skyscreen itself. I am hell on the diffusers and their holders though. A friend borred my M35P and shot the front screen dead center and replaced it. I started off in '75 with a M10 Oehler with M61 scyscreens. A lot of the electronics are out front in those so after nicking the front box (no real damage) I put a 3/8" steel plate at a 45 degree angle in front to protect them. I necked the steel a few times so it's good I did that. I got the M35P in '90 and have tried being real careful with it. I've had the M43 Oehler for almost a year. I'm real careful with the muzzle screens but the down range ones catch hell. This is especiall the case during my RPM tests when the high velocity loads begin shooting improved cylinder groups. I've also learned to shoot a couple zero shots on another target before tring to shoot through the screens. Amaxing how much the poi can change from even small powder increment changes when working up loads. This is especially the case when cast bullets exceed the RPM threshold and groups open non-linear also.

Some one mentioned PPs hitting the screens; I have encountered that also. I've just never had a GC hit the screens is all I said. I expect I possibly might with the amount of older Lyman GCs I have left to shoot. As I said, I'll let everyone know when/if I do.

I've read about Chrony's replacement policy; good business for them to keep shooters happy with their products. Oehler is also excellent to deal with and the skyscreens are not that expensive.

Larry Gibson