PDA

View Full Version : great western single action

cowboyt
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I've owned a great western sa in 44 spl for a long time and because a friend that I'm introducing to reloading has just purchased a ruger anniversary flatop 44 mag, I made up some ammo for his gun- not having his gun handy to check chambering of the mag. rounds I pulled out the 44 spl and to my surprise the mag rounds fully chambered in all cylinders!!- I've owned several mag's in the past but never thought to check mag ammo in the spl.- Does anyone know if the GW was ever offered in 44 mag?? I wouldint think fo firing one in my spl, I'm just wondering if anyone has run in to this before-any input will be apprieciated

218bee
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
According to the "Standard Catalog of Firearms" they did make a 44 mag. It also states you could order one caliber and then order "optional" cylinders ie...order a 44mag and then get a 44/Special cylinder with it.

cowboyt
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks 218bee-by the way - long ago,the guy that got me into the world of shooting had a 218 bee,I think a M43 Win, and it was a joy to shoot- that was back in 1954- it did a fine job on bunnies!!
cowboyt

HeavyMetal
01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Skeeter Skelton stumbled across the same thing years ago in his 44 special's.

He determined that with a real heavy roll crimp the magnum case was actually shot enough to fit in the special chambers.

Firing such a combo will certainly be bad for your day, as the brass it self will open into the throat area and, not having enough "room" to free the boolit, proceed to jack a high pressure magnum round into the Ozone layer!

One more reason one must be careful of the loads he puts up and the combination of guns taken to a large gathering, a newbie shooter could make the same mistake and disaster would occur.

cowboyt
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree completly- with mine I found that there is no shoulder at all in all cylinders and each will accept empty virgin brass without a hitch! good thing that I don't own a mag anymore so there's no mag ammo on my shelves and I don't let anyone shoot this old 44spl but me! Thanks for the thoughts
Cowboyt

Pepe Ray
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow!
Those throats must be BIG.
How do you get any accuracy from it?
Pepe Ray

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Like what was said yes they did make them but they didnt hold up real well and it took very little mag shooting to loosen them up.

cowboyt
01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
If I do my part it shoots under 2 inches at 25 yards with a 240 gr sized .429- unique at about 800 ft per second-would'nt trade it for anything!
cowboyt