PDA

View Full Version : Powder Questions

jim4065
01-26-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm wanting to buy a few pounds of powder to set aside for blessed "Retirement Day".

In "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by Ed Matunas, he gave his opinions on a decent "battery" of powders by the then current manufacturers. I want to add a couple more jugs to the inventory, and I'm getting bogged down (maybe in too much information).

Example: Promo is dirt cheap, and Alliant says it burns about like Red Dot. But I can't find any loads listed for it in handguns. Is there any kind of a list or chart which shows available powders and the cartridges for which they're most suitable? I know that you can (for example) use Bullseye in a lot of cartridges, but it's not really "suitable" in most rifle cartridges - or big bore magnum pistols, for that matter.

When I first joined this board I asked a question about the best powders for a "minimum" stock, so it's probably a sign of degeneration that I'm needing to expand my inventory. Sure would be nice if there was a list of suitable applications for each powder. May not be easy, but sure would be nice. :-?

Buckshot
01-26-2009, 01:07 AM
...............Real quick and dirty without much thought:

One powder: Unique

Two Powders: Unique, and 4198

Three powders: Unique, 4198, 4064

Four Powders: Bullseye, Unique, 4198, 4064

Of course it depends on how your personal armory is slanted, or what it includes cartidge wise how you might alter the list.

...............Buckshot

MtGun44
01-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I like Buckshot's list, but depending on cartridges you load it might be
a bit different. This is for cast and for jacketed, both. If you will stick
to cast, I agree pretty much with Buckshot.

#1 - definitely Unique - works fair to excellent in any pistol and most
rifles will make about 2/3 power loads or better,
meters only OK in some measures, better in others
#2 - W748 - rifle only but will do well in .223, 30-30, 308, 7mm-08,.45-70 and even
pretty decent in 30-06 for full or near full power jacketed loads.
Meters like a dream.
#2 alternate IMR or H4895 - similar range of uses as W748, doesn't meter as
well as W748, downloads better
#3 Reloader 15 - works well with an extremely wide range of rifle jacketed loads

#4 Titegroup or Bullseye - essentiallly identical applications - small pistol full power or
low power, low power to medium in larger pistol, very
little needed so very economical. Double charges fit
in many cases so there is a risk of error.

Bill

454PB
01-26-2009, 01:30 AM
I agree with Buckshot on the Unique, it's as close to a "universal" powder as you can get.

Ever since I had a couple of cans of IMR powders go bad, I have avoided stockpiling them. I still use them, but in "as needed" quantities. For long term storage, I buy ball powders.

So in addition to Unique, I like HS-6, H-110 (or WW296) WW 760 (or H-414) in common shelved powders, and WC820, WC860 in surplus powders.

mike in co
01-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I agree with Buckshot on the Unique, it's as close to a "universal" powder as you can get.

Ever since I had a couple of cans of IMR powders go bad, I have avoided stockpiling them. I still use them, but in "as needed" quantities. For long term storage, I buy ball powders.

So in addition to Unique, I like HS-6, H-110 (or WW296) WW 760 (or H-414) in common shelved powders, and WC820, WC860 in surplus powders.

have you ever had powder go bad in a plastic container ?

no metal for long term storage...moisture in powder/container leadts to rust....what most people think of as powder deterioration.

mike in co

mike in co
01-26-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm wanting to buy a few pounds of powder to set aside for blessed "Retirement Day".

In "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by Ed Matunas, he gave his opinions on a decent "battery" of powders by the then current manufacturers. I want to add a couple more jugs to the inventory, and I'm getting bogged down (maybe in too much information).

Example: Promo is dirt cheap, and Alliant says it burns about like Red Dot. But I can't find any loads listed for it in handguns. Is there any kind of a list or chart which shows available powders and the cartridges for which they're most suitable? I know that you can (for example) use Bullseye in a lot of cartridges, but it's not really "suitable" in most rifle cartridges - or big bore magnum pistols, for that matter.

When I first joined this board I asked a question about the best powders for a "minimum" stock, so it's probably a sign of degeneration that I'm needing to expand my inventory. Sure would be nice if there was a list of suitable applications for each powder. May not be easy, but sure would be nice. :-?

as i recall promo is so much like red dot that they do not list loads, seems there is a difference in the density of the two. so start low and work up.
i once suggested a goup buy for distribution at the anual cast boolit shoot.

mike in co

Boerrancher
01-26-2009, 08:04 AM
I completely agree with Buckshot, only I would probably remove the 4198 and replace it with 4831, as I am a 300 win mag shooter. If I didn't have the 300 win mag, I would stick with Buckshot's list, except I would have to add a #5 and that would be the Holy Black, in either Swiss or GOEX 3F or GOEX cartridge. It never hurts to have a few lbs of the Holy Black laying around anyway. It is good for lots of things.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

454PB
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, Mike, metal cans are bad for powder. Some of the cans were contaminated with red dust that was obviously rust. However, one can of 4064 had been hiding at the rear of my powder store. It still had the factory seal on the opening, but when I removed that seal and gave it the "sniff" test, it choked me with ammonia fumes.

I do agree that powder in the original metal cans should be transferred to plastic or cardboard. You would think Dupont and IMR should know what happens with long term storage in metal.

My grandad had a 50 pound container of H-4831 stored in his garage. It was in a large cardboard container and was probably 20 years old when he showed it to me. The powder was fine and had the classic solvent smell.

44man
01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Unique, 296, 4759, Varget, 4350, 4831. All is covered. Varget has proven to work from the 7BR to large cases and is the most universal powder I ever found.
4759 is also an extremely forgiving powder for short barrels up.

rockrat
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I would think WW231, Unique or Universal Clays, Varget and 4831 would do for most everything. Might not be the most efficient,but would work.

Bret4207
01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd hate to try and do with out Red Dot.

beemer
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
You will be hard pressed to beat Buckshot's list. A couple could be shuffled around for personal preferences but I could live with it.

beemer