PDA

View Full Version : Big ol Kitchen Ladle, or RCBS

ljshooter
01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I am new to the forum and boolit casting.

Question: I am going to be casting with a 6 cavity 230 grn 45 mold. I have a big soup ladle I have been using for making ingots. Should I use it when casting or buy a RCBC lead dipper?

Slowpoke
01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
The RCBS works but I bet you would be all smiles with a Rowell # 1

good luck

Le Loup Solitaire
01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. The big ladle that you have will work ok if you are comfortable using it. A six cavity mold is a "gang mold" which is the old term for a multiple cavity mold. I have several "gangers' and when I use them I pour "uphill" using a large type soup ladle like the one you have described, starting with the last and lowest cavity and working uphill to the last and highest. This method produces good bullets although there is a lot of spillage and some grotesque looking sprues until you get the hang of it. An RCBS dipper might work too and the bullets would look the same. Whether the RCBS holds enough melt to fill all six cavities depends upon the size of the bullet you ar casting...a 230 grain bullet x 6 =1380 grains of melt----not counting sprue metal and I would ask around about whether the RCBS can meet whatever the grand total is or else you might have to fill it twice... a step that is not condusive to rythm. Enjoy your casting and good luck with it. LLS

ljshooter
01-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I just got a Dillon Press and I have had another investment into casting. The wife gives me the eye recently when I have to buy gun related things. I remind her of the future savings and then she is cool with it.

Ugly Dwarf
01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I just got a Dillon Press and I have had another investment into casting. The wife gives me the eye recently when I have to buy gun related things. I remind her of the future savings and then she is cool with it.

This sounds familiar... only in my house the "future savings" argument is also met with skepticism.

I just need to remind myself the accumulation of tools (and guns) is an endurance sport. You need to pace yourself (if you're not independantly wealthy).

EDK
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Go to the ballisti-cast web site and see what they have.

I've got a HENSLEY & GIBBS ladle that I've used for six cavity (or less) moulds since the late '70s....but nothing lasts forever! B-c should have the same item since they took over 'most everything but the H&G name. It won't be cheap, but you won't need another one for a few decades.

No experience with the Rowell, but hear good reports.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: