PDA

View Full Version : alloy question

WNC
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Reading Ranch Dog's load data for his 35 cal. bullet, I see his alloy is ww:sn, I know ww is wheel weights could someone please tell me what the sn means? I am new to casting and eager to learn all I can. Thanks for any info.

JSnover
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Welcome aboard! Sn is tin.

WNC
01-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks, JSnover I have learned something already.

Bret4207
01-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Sn is tin Sb is antimony. The only way I can remember, mind you I'm an idiot, is "It's a Sn to waste Tin". Childish, but then so is "We Left Red in Port" to remember my Stabr'd from my Portside.

Shuz
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Sn is tin Sb is antimony. The only way I can remember, mind you I'm an idiot, is "It's a Sn to waste Tin". Childish, but then so is "We Left Red in Port" to remember my Stabr'd from my Portside.

Bret--I guess I'm an idiot too, as I've always used gneumonic(sp) devices like yours to help me remember things. I can still remember the zip code for Bettendorf Ia. where I once lived for a short time. Model 52 Winchester and Model 722 Remington turn into 52722!

If I remember correctly, the Latin scientific name for tin is Stannous, and abbreviated SN. I like your "sn to waste tin" much better tho!

Bret4207
01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Bret--I guess I'm an idiot too, as I've always used gneumonic(sp) devices like yours to help me remember things. I can still remember the zip code for Bettendorf Ia. where I once lived for a short time. Model 52 Winchester and Model 722 Remington turn into 52722!

If I remember correctly, the Latin scientific name for tin is Stannous, and abbreviated SN. I like your "sn to waste tin" much better tho!

It's all Greek to me!:mrgreen: