PDA

View Full Version : Good session

44man
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I was out of 420 gr, .475 boolits. I had just enough of my alloy in the pot to make 120. It was cold in the garage and my feet were freezing, had to slip into boots. Anyway, I had pre-heated the lead and mold before casting.
Rejects---ZERO, not a single one tossed back. First few showed a tad of frost but they leveled out nicely. I stay just short of frost, kind of bounce back and forth. I started with a 500* mold. It was slow and easy and sprues cut clean.
Now look at the two sprues I put in the picture. Notice they are flat, no depressions from boolits sucking lead from them. That means I do not have to weigh any. All boolits are filled to perfection.
But you guys know I never get a reject unless I shake and get lead into another cavity by accident! [smilie=1:
Just hope to show beginners that you don't need to cast 50 boolits to get the mold working and to just relax and enjoy the job. Casting is BORING and the less boolits tossed back, the better.

JeffinNZ
01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Casting is BORING and the less boolits tossed back, the better.

Ain't that the truth!!??

Bent Ramrod
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think casting is boring. Casting is Zen.

Trimming cases is plenty boring, though.

Dennis Eugene
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Casting is fun for me sizeing is boreing. Dennis

opentop
01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm with Dennis

targetshootr
01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice boolits but I'd just as soon cast as drive to all the way to the range. hehe.

44man, why do most 475s boolits have two lube grooves. Except for the Keith Group Buy from last year I can't find 6 cav molds with only one groove and plain based.

supv26
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
I like to reload as much, if not more, than shooting! I am now starting to cast boolits too!

buck1
01-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I love days like that, but I have had lots of the other kind too.....Buck

44man
01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Nice boolits but I'd just as soon cast as drive to all the way to the range. hehe.

44man, why do most 475s boolits have two lube grooves. Except for the Keith Group Buy from last year I can't find 6 cav molds with only one groove and plain based.
I don't know!! I made the two cavity mold for this boolit, most just guess work but I wanted a larger meplat. I think it is 80%. It has held an inch at 100 yd's, hit a spray paint can at 200 and is death to deer. I also wanted a PB because of the cost of checks.
This boolit has three lube grooves and against all common knowledge, it has a very short bottom drive band of .080". By all I read, it should not shoot good but it groups like crazy at around 1350 fps.
I have tried about 10 different semi wadcutters and none will shoot worth a darn.
The Lee 400 shoots very well and I made GC molds that shoot as good as my PB but need almost sticky case loads to stay under 1" at 50.
Don't ask me to recommend a Keith because I won't. :Fire:

jdgabbard
01-26-2009, 01:52 AM
I'm with Dennis and Ramrod. It's not boring. Its the other stuff prior to loading that is boring. But I've got a portable bench, so I can bring the zip trim, and press into the living room while I watch "Extreme Marksmen" on the History Channel.

Btw, your boolits look perty. Maybe one day I'll buy myself a 44. But for right now, I stick with the .357 - Would like to buy a rifle in that cal. Doesn't the Taurus 94 come in .357?

Bret4207
01-26-2009, 08:24 AM

And frustrating! Those little 6, 25 and 7 mm GC's are a pain. I dread the day I break out the 22!