PDA

View Full Version : .45 Auto Help

sdelam
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Well I guess I must declare the gun the winner. I started casting range scrap for 45 using a Lee 2 cav, TL452-230-2R. I figured a nice round nose full size design would ensure the best results. I started casting for a 1911 and everything worked great from the start. I decided to increase my resuts by buying a 6 cav in the same design, which I broke the spruce plate on the first time I used it. I pressed on with the 2 cav and now I have almost 2k of loaded 45.:-D

In fact, I was so happy with myself and the $4 per 100 round ammo that I ordered a aftermarket barrel for my Glock 36. Well thats when the issues started. I originally seated the bullet so the shoulder was flush with the case mouth, 1.250 ish I think. Well that would not work with the glock, the fired case got caught on the shoulder and locked the gun up. I have to drop the mag to clear the jam. So my Speer #13 says COL for that bullet is 1.270, but that didnt work either. It fixed the shoulder jam but deformed the shoulder just enough that the gun would not lock into battery. A bump on the rear would fix it but every other round was hagging up. So I tried to compromise, I went to 1.260 and then the shoulder jam came back.

So I guess I am in the market for a new mould, one without a shoulder. I would prefer a tumble lube but not required I guess. I should metion that I all ready tried some Hornady 200g SWC and the nose gets caught in the Glock. Any sugestions? Thanks guys

docone31
01-25-2009, 12:43 AM
I do not, nor have I ever had a Glock. I only know about the 1911s.
I got the .452-200RF from Lee. I pan lube.
Great from the first round untill I stopped. No leading, great accuracy. My Commander and full frame love it.
I reccomend that mold.

shotman
01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
You said after market? There is NO after market that dont need some work It sounds like you need to do some polish/grinding to the feed ramp top and bottom. A Glock is not a gun to add after market stuff to rick

earplug
01-25-2009, 12:52 AM
This reads like a seating die adjustment, the case is bulging when you seat the bullet.
The die is trying to crimp the bullet and push it into the case, this is causing the bulge. I had this problem with my early 45 loads.

sdelam
01-25-2009, 01:01 AM
You said after market? There is NO after market that dont need some work It sounds like you need to do some polish/grinding to the feed ramp top and bottom. A Glock is not a gun to add after market stuff to rick

I thought the same thing at first but its not a feeding issue, its a extraction/ejection issue. The first round feeds fine, the rest dont because the previous one damaged the shoulder/case mouth of the one below it during extraction. Just to make sure it wasnt the barrel, I put a few through the factory barrel with the same results.

sdelam
01-25-2009, 01:02 AM
This reads like a seating die adjustment, the case is bulging when you seat the bullet.
The die is trying to crimp the bullet and push it into the case, this is causing the bulge. I had this problem with my early 45 loads.

I run them through the factory crimp die last, would this not remove any bulging?

MtGun44
01-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Taper crimp is required for reliable .45 ACP ammo. Trust me this is
not optional if you want reliability.

Bill

Boerrancher
01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I have both the TL452-230-2R and the 452-228-2R. I don't have any experience with cast boolits and Glocks, and the experiences I have had with Glocks has all been bad, but I can say that my Springfield 1911 digests either of the two quite well when sized to 452.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Papucho
01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Your problem has to do with the feeding angle of Glock pistols and mags.
I couldn't get shouldered bullets to feed in either my G21 nor my G30 with OEM or aftermarket bbl's.
I changed bullet profiles and problems went away.
I now use Lee's 452-230 TC and Lymans 452374(true RN profile, GI style).

Echo
01-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a magazine problem to me. (I don't have a Glock, so what do I know?)

Slogg76
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't know much about Glocks, but....a co-worker just had a similar problem with a 40 S&W chambered Glock. Could not get anything to feed into his new Storm Lake barrel. At first we thought it may be the barrel, but then discovered that his mags were old and had an older style follower. He replaced the followers with a newer style that changed the feeding angle and now it is 100% reliable. Hope this helps.

sdelam
01-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm thinking of switching to a Lee 452-228-1R or a Lyman #452374. Anyone have either of these?

35remington
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes.

The 452374 will result in standard overall length when seated to function. The 228-1R will not, and in guns with standard throats needs about 1.220" OAL or a little less to function, which as you can see is a little shorter than standard.

So, you've definitely established that, at 1.260-1.265" and with a taper crimp where the diameter of the case immediately below the bullet is .472" or smaller, it will not feed or extract or whatever?

People tend to blame the "shoulder" when in actual fact the bullet doesn't strike there on the way to the chamber. The contact points are usually the front part of the bullet and nothing else.

Normally the Glocks have no problem with roundnoses at standard length, even with shoulders, so I'm just trying to be sure the standard loading procedures were used.

Bulges causes by the seating step should be addressed in the seating step. Don't rely on the LFCD to fix what you should be fixing in the seating die. Overexuberant use of the LFCD can loosen case/bullet tension, in some cases undesirably and increase bullet setback. I didn't say will, but rather could.

Know whether this is an issue or not.

sdelam
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Pulling a random sample I could not find a single case that exceded .470 either below or above the bullet.

All rounds feed fine if placed in the magazine one at a time. Here is a picture of a manufactured malfunction. Of course this would normally have the extractor in the rim of the spent round.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/sdelam1/IMG_6408a.jpg

35remington
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Hmm. If the shoulder of the bullet is the cause of the case losing its grip on the extractor, then you can't use any shouldered bullet of any kind. Any SWC is out.

One would think if extractor grip is adequate the case would be held high enough on the breechface with extractor tension to clear the bullet shoulder or case mouth below, especially since the top round in the magazine ought to be a bit nose down as the slide goes to the rear above it - but evidently that isn't happening either.

Appears that Glocks aren't quite as jam-proof as their manufacturer claims they are. I see this as a bit of a problem, but then I shoot a lot of SWC. I've heard of other Glocks choking on SWC and other shapes, BTW.

The lead bullet is the Glock's nemesis. Apparently Gaston isn't much of a handloader, and doesn't shoot any boolits.

I'd go with the Lyman 452374, as it produces a round of correct OAL, duplicating ball ammo. If your Glock doesn't choke on ball, it will feed these flawlessly.

sdelam
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Thats where I was leaning. I'm not sure the shorter OAL would be an issue but just to be safe. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something.

During actual firing the extractor dosnt loose its grip, I just could not get the same malfunction by hand cycling the rounds so I had to set up somthing close for the pic. thanks

sdelam
01-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Your problem has to do with the feeding angle of Glock pistols and mags.
I couldn't get shouldered bullets to feed in either my G21 nor my G30 with OEM or aftermarket bbl's.
I changed bullet profiles and problems went away.
I now use Lee's 452-230 TC and Lymans 452374(true RN profile, GI style).

I think you are correct, I checked for new followers but the G36's havn't changed. I see a Lyman 452374 in my future.