PDA

View Full Version : BPCR Lube Question

Hip's Ax
01-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm going to whip up a couple of batches of lube tomorrow to ship to my friend who loads our black powder ammo. I'm thinking bee's wax, jojoba and lanolin for one and an Emmert's with lanolin for the other.

My question is, will these stay mixed or should I add some Ivory soap?

I'll assume "cooking" these lubes is unnecessary as there is no petroleum to polymerize?

44man
01-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Should be no problem. Just melt the wax in a double boiler, add oil and lanolin last. I would not add soap.

cajun shooter
01-25-2009, 08:22 AM
I use this receipe with a little parrafin added and it works great. Should be fine just as you do it though. As 44 man stated use the dbl broiler.

runnin lead
01-25-2009, 09:36 AM
4 parts bees wax (32 oz)
2 lanolin ( 16 oz )
1 jojoba oil ( 8 oz )
1 canola oil ( 8oz )
all by volume
I chose these portions to use a 16 oz container of lanolin
had an oz or 2 left over
In Oct 08 my spotter could not see hits on 500 M rams
when resetting rams had 1 just under the front of cutout
between horn & head , 2 shots just under the rear of the cutout
the 4th probably went through the cutout
thinking maybe deflection high off rail
changed sight setting missed 5th high
4 shots under 6 inches 500 M , was extreamly happy
better than 5 in a row, could under stand not being able to spot hits,
high hits -fast falling targets + lead splatter going through the cutout
cutting down on visability of hit

RP 45 70
CCI BR2
62 gr Swiss 1 1/2 F
Walters .030
Hoke 550 30 - 1 .005 from lands
modified Dan T w/ jojoba

this lube did not work on chickens
9 of 10 missed by about an inch

Hip's Ax
01-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys.

Looks like I won't be doing this today, my buddy wants each batch a different color so I'll have to buy some candle dye.

JSnover
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I've been using the same cake of emmerts for quite a while, just adding more now and then. Now matter how many times its remelted and cooled it has never seperated on me.

Hip's Ax
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys. I did make the lube today, I wanted to see if I think its too hard or too soft so I can tweak it later. Then I'll dye it. No seperation that I can see, all the components melted and mixed nicely.

So far the first batch seems harder than I'd like but then again its winter and only about 68 degrees here in the house. I'll know better tomorrow after both batches cool completely. I have some White Label BPCR Supreme and also some SPG on hand to compare hardness.