PDA

View Full Version : Patched rifle balls using straight WW

Hang Fire
04-05-2005, 02:32 AM
I started out using straight WW balls in my fusil smoothie, one day while casting .62's, I had a go at some .54's for the Lancaster. I have been more than a little pleased with the results. Except maybe for hunting someday, I cannot see going back to using pure lead for paper punching and rock blasting.

Do any others use patched WW balls in their rifled guns?

waksupi
04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I've shot WW RB for over thirty years. Animals don't complain. You get deeper penetration with WW. Competition occassionally whines if they loose.

RBak
04-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I have also been using PRB cast of Wheel Weights for a very long time.
I find no, none, zilch, zero, fault with them, as long as I don't tell anybody what alloy I used for casting.

When I mention Wheel Weights, it seems those much smarter than myself get all nervous, and come up with hundreds of reasons for why I shouldn't be doing that.

Kinda, "don't ask, don't tell" for me.
I guess, I'm a closet shooter of the Wheel Weight when it comes to Round Ball.

Russ

old gunner
05-03-2005, 09:25 PM
I use them quite a bit, My .62 smooth bore really likes them, and as far as I

can tell they are very effective on deer size game.
Bill

Beerd
05-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I can't imagine a .600 RB of any lead alloy being ineffective on deer (or bigger stuff either).

ruger4570
05-05-2005, 10:08 AM
I have used patched RB cast from WW for years. What's the problem,, they work fine and are every bit as accurate as pure lead balls. Of course I use pure lead for the conicals so they are soft enough to bump up and take the rifling.