PDA

View Full Version : Temporary mold lube while waiting for Bull Lube

ghh3rd
01-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I've got my new mold all cleaned up with brake cleaner, and I'd I'm itching to try it out. The only problem is that I don't know what I can use temporarily to lube it while I'm waiting for my Bull Lube to arrive from Alaska.

I've heard of using Bee's Wax, but don't have any, and besides it seems that it would keep the proper lube once it arrives from getting to where it should.

I was hoping that I have something available at home that would do the trick.

Thanks everyone!

Randy

putteral
01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Try silicone spray. It is what I have been using and seems to work fine. I'm just up the road from you in Homosassa.

dk17hmr
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Johnson Paste Wax works.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17641

Flinchrock
01-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Johnson Paste Wax works.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17641

I thought he was asking about sprue plate lube,,,

Try soapstone.

jdgabbard
01-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I thought he was asking about sprue plate lube,,,

Try soapstone.

I thought he was talking about sprue plate lube too. And I can honestly say I never lube it. Should I?

ghh3rd
01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Got the silicone lube... what part of the mold should I apply it to, and how frequently?

Thanks

kamikaze1a
01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I use graphite as in rub a pencil across the top of the mold. The contractor type with the the extra wide lead works especially well. I hope to try Bull Plate lube someday...

buck1
01-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I use graphite as in rub a pencil across the top of the mold. The contractor type with the the extra wide lead works especially well. I hope to try Bull Plate lube someday...

Its good stuff, you will be happy when you do....Buck

dk17hmr
01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Yep...guess he was...I probably should have read a little closer[smilie=1:

I have never lubed a spur plate on any of my molds....maybe I should

randyrat
01-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Lube with "permatex" high temp anti seize......Use it on all contact surfaces,but don't get it in the cavities. Take your sprue plate screw out and put some on that also to prevent Galling. Nothing replaces Bull Plate Sprue Lube..but i used Permatex for a long time untill i discovered BPSL.... Don't use it heavy- only lightly

kamikaze1a
01-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Does Bull Plate lube have any distribution other than directly from them?

mikenbarb
01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
kamikaze, Nope.
Ghh, It should have the directions with it. If not, You bring the mold up to temp and leave a boolit in the cavity and apply it LIGHTLY with a Q-Tip to the spru cutter, hinges and indexing pins. After its lightly applied take the other clean side of the Q-Tip and remove excess lube. Then cast away and just re-apply whenever it needs it but it will last a while and I usualy get a whole casting session out of one or two light applications. Just DONT get it in the cavity and remember a little goes a long ways with it.

putteral
01-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I apply the silicone spray to the sprue plate top and bottom, sprue hinge,indexing pins and the v groove. I just followed the directions from Lee and have not had any problems yet.

mto7464
01-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I've tried some synthetic 2 cycle oil and it works. Just a thin coat and wipe of the excess.