PDA

View Full Version : depth setting lyman lubrisizer

pharmpoke
01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
How do you know how deep to push the bullet into the sizer to properly size and lube the bullet? Trial and error? And- Where should there be lube in the press/die, and where are the places that if it shows up there is a problem? I assume from the back of the press tube the lube is compressed by ratcheting the piston down and pushed into a cavity around the sizer die, through the die holes and into the lube grooves of the bullet. So, when the sizer die is removed from the press there is lube left behind forming a cavity around the die?

billyb
01-24-2009, 02:07 PM
yes trial and error. line up the holes in the die with the lube grove's on the boolit.when lubed properly it will be sized also. take the pressure of the lube before you remove the die. hope this helps Bill

454PB
01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Go as deep as you can without filling the crimp groove. Normally, the nose punch won't allow the booit to go in far enough to squirt lube over the top of the boolit.

As billyb said, when you remove the sizing die, the lube that surrounds it just sits there. If you happened to leave it pressurized, then it will fall into the empty space and leave a mess.

monadnock#5
01-24-2009, 10:42 PM
It would be fairly easy for Lyman to put a small graduated scale with each press. Hold the boolit against the scale, come up with a measurement, and adjust the depth stop accordingly. They don't do that obviously. You will have to suffer through the learning curve like the rest of us. Yes, remove the piston, put a stick of lube in, crank it down until the channels are filled, remove the piston again, put in another stick, and then you're good to go for 1K boolits give or take. I don't know which part of the country you're in. If in a cold region, cold enough that you have a sweater on right now, you'll need a lube heater. Light bulb, hair dryer, clothes iron...whatever. As we speak, my lube is the consistency of river rock. I could try to warn you about excess pressure and leakage rates, but there again, it all depends on where you are in the world. It's time to roll up your sleeves and lube some boolits. Good luck!!

joeb33050
01-25-2009, 08:13 AM
How do you know how deep to push the bullet into the sizer to properly size and lube the bullet? Trial and error? And- Where should there be lube in the press/die, and where are the places that if it shows up there is a problem? I assume from the back of the press tube the lube is compressed by ratcheting the piston down and pushed into a cavity around the sizer die, through the die holes and into the lube grooves of the bullet. So, when the sizer die is removed from the press there is lube left behind forming a cavity around the die?

You need a micrometer caliper. As the bullet is pushed further into the sizing die the minimum diameter moves up the bullet. At some point, for example, a .309" die will make the bottom band of the bullet .3092" and the top sized band .3104". As the bullet goes further down in the sizing die all bands might end up at .3092".
Confusion appears when we want to lube, say, just the bottom groove. Setting up to size and lube just that groove may result in bullets that are bigger on the top band than on the bottom band. With some bullets and sizing dies when you wish to lube just the bottom groove, you must size in one step and lube in another. Lube then size, or size then lube.
joe b.

Bret4207
01-25-2009, 09:26 AM
"Confusion appears when we want to lube, say, just the bottom groove. Setting up to size and lube just that groove may result in bullets that are bigger on the top band than on the bottom band. With some bullets and sizing dies when you wish to lube just the bottom groove, you must size in one step and lube in another. Lube then size, or size then lube.
joe b. "

Or you can block the lube holes in the sizer die with #7 shot I believe, could be wrong on the size.